Here's a Heatley Update...

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by 2x6L6, Jan 19, 2008.

1. 2x6L6

2x6L6 Supporting Member

I ordered one of the first of the "old-school" Heatley Traditions many moons ago. With Scott's guidance I went to great length to find decades-old, air-dried wood... maple from curlymaple.com, old-growth Honduran Mahogany from Larry Pogreba's stash, Braz RW, etc. - lotsa fun! Smilefan's top came out of the board I bought for my top. So at least two beautiful, 1-piece tops outa that old board thus far. Here's mine:

[​IMG]

Dang near looks like ash, huh? But no!

[​IMG]

Quite excited about this one! My first 'Paul, but not my first Heatley, so I know what to expect with Scott's luthiery - top cabin, all the way. Can't wait!

2x

2. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Gorgeous!:drool Congrats and can't wait for updates.

3. Kappy

Kappy Member

That's gonna be a stunner! But then again, Scott's guitars always are. Congrats!

4. Scottone

Scottone Silver Supporting Member

I love that one. What colour are you going with?

5. Thor

Thor Member

Very interesting grain pattern. Since there is very little figuring, are you going to go with a solid color a la black beauty, gold top, or silver burst? Might also be cool with a dark translucent finish a la ox blood or black burst.

Thanks for the pics and look forward to seeing how it turns out!

Cheers,

Edward

6. 2x6L6

2x6L6 Supporting Member

Oh, definitely black-top! :cool:

Nah... actually, I'm a traditionalist, these are traditional guitars, so some sorta burst of a traditional type - tea or tobacco perhaps. AFAIK Scott's not into super-nitpicky burst orders for these. I adore the (non-traditional, un-photographable) burgundy-to-cherry burst he did on my Heatley Standard, so I'm confident it'll be schweet.

Thanks!

7. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

That will be a heck of an instrument for sure! Please keep us appraised! :AOK

8. clarkram

clarkram Member

thats a great looking top/body. Looks like it won't be too much longer.

9. 2x6L6

2x6L6 Supporting Member

Thanks for all the kind words, gents!
    I'm not much of a "10-top" kinda guy - I really like a nice plain-top. This top goes a step further in that it isn't flamey or quilty, but is grainy - sort of unusual for Eastern maple, in my limited experience. It has nice mineral flecks, which I definitely like. So, all that adds up to a piece that is just right for me. I think the unusual nature of the grain will make for an excellent burst.

I haven't seen the back yet, but the Pogreba mahogany is a cool story - detailed in Tonequest Report a couple years back. Basically it came from gigantic stumps in Central America that had been logged decades earlier. Larry and his fishing buddies rescued many containers of gigantic slabs, which now sit at his property in the wilds of Montana, though I think a lot of it is being bought up by larger instrument makers. I think Scott scored a stash after he saw the piece we got for my guitar. From all I've heard, it is some pretty special mahogany.

Again, thanks for the comments and YEAH!!! :dudeCan't wait! But it is actually a long way off still. Guess I'll go play my Heatley Standard to console myself... :AOK

What an amazing time to be a guitar player/guitar buyer.

2x

10. fretnot

fretnot Gold Supporting Member

Gonna be a beauty for sure! :AOK

11. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I would have sworn that was ash. It is hard to imagine waht that is going to look like with a traditional burst finish, because it will be far from a plain top.

12. hansoloist

hansoloist Supporting Member

Love it! Scott was telling me last night that there does exist a black '59 somewhere out there. I must say, an oxblood top--super dark, but no so dark where you can't see that amazing grain pattern--with a dark back would look sweet.

I'll be sure to post a pic of mine when Scott finishes carving the top.

peace
    -jeff

13. mcuguitar

mcuguitar Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

14. 2x6L6

2x6L6 Supporting Member

Iiiiiiiiiiinteresting! I was really joking about the black-top, but when Thor mentioned oxblood, and now you, Jeff..... 's got me thinking about it. Could be cool. Hmmmmmm.....