• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Here's an odd one for ya... what speaker for a SF Champ for playing flute?

mortatort

I fixed a guy's Champ a few weeks ago and told him that it really needed a new speaker. The old one sounds like it rubs or something, but the other issues are fixed. He plays guitar but also wants to use it for his flute. Early break up *might* be ok for him as long as it's super smooth, but would like suggestions on both ends of the 'break up scale'.

Thanks

Billm

Can you fit a 10 in there? An Eminence B102 (not BP102) is an excellent choice. Although it's nominally a bass speaker, it has a whizzer cone and extended response, and it's really sweet for acoustic applications.

There are some 8-inch full range speakers with whizzer cones too, but I haven't heard anything as nice as the B102.

mortatort

Not sure. There IS a crack in the baffle but I'm not sure if he wants it changed out with the speaker or not. I told him I'd make a new baffle pro bono for him, but I don't know if he would want to change the speaker size, or if it would even fit.

Billm

I read your original message too quickly and missed that he also played guitar through it. I'd recommend the Eminence 820H. Hemp cone, like the Cannabis Rex, efficient, and nice tone.

Trending Topics