1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Here's another JV Strat upgrade...towards Voodoo land

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by CitizenCain, Jun 26, 2006.

1. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

My JV Strat took another step towards full Voodoo status last weekend :eek:

I loaded in a set of Chubtone '67 Reverse Stagger pickups in a new Warmoth pickguard. These pickups are modeled after the late '60s Strat pickups in sound. Great deep bass and clear highs. Astounding! Of course, they feature the reverse vintage magnet stagger, giving the "backwards" pickup effect that Hendrix experienced in his righty-flipped-lefty guitars.
    Does it cop the magic Hendrix voodoo vibe? I don't know, I just do it for the fun :D

Gotta start somewhere...

[​IMG]

A few hours later...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Voodoo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:cool:

2. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Member

Awesome! I love these threads!

3. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

My JV is rocking too- clearly a mutant among all that I have examined. I love the Hendrix vibe without being too obvious...so more importantly, how do they SOUND!! I had an earleir thread asking which pups to put in my JV as soon as it comes back from the luthier (getting a bone nut installed and a setup for 11s).

4. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Thanks,guys! I'll get some clips recorded soon :D

5. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Cool upgrade CC!! With the AV hardware, I think the JV Strat is the best bang for the buck Strat in Fender's current line and it makes an excellent platform for personal tweaks. Heck, it even sounds & plays great right out of the box :AOK.

6. Brian Yarbrough

Brian Yarbrough Supporting Member

I just picked up a JV recently for around $330. I was sitting on some Harmonic Design pups and popped them in. Very Cool! I like the feel of the neck although I have always been a rosewood fretboard kind of guy. I also replaced the pickguard with a 3 ply I had from an american standard and put 11's on it.

7. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

This sounds exactly like me - in the right guitar, Harmonic Design Vintage Plus pups RULE... I'm a dead rosewood board player, but one of my fav Strats has a maple board and Harmonic Designs. I see a JV Strat in the not too distant future...

jb

8. JoeYello

JoeYello Member

That's a very "neat" soldering job you did there. I like the tie wraps, orange drop caps and wire that you used. Very professional!:AOK

9. JPenn

JPenn Member

It's been probably 4-5 years since I've played a JV Strat, but I do remember it was a cool little guitfiddle!!

10. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Yup, the JV Strat is one of the best deals out there right now. I got mine new from GC for $479 with a little haggling :D The neck is the best Strat neck I've played.

Thanks Joe Yello, I'm tryinf to come up with a "trademark" wiring scheme. Each try is a little closer. I think I have the final design in mind now. Next time for sure ...!

11. Punch Drunk

Punch Drunk Supporting Member

Nice clean work!!!
    Does the JV strat have a "swimming pool" cavity or did you have to rout for the bridge pup?

12. alderbody

alderbody Member

yes, that's exactly what i asked myself when i saw the reverse bridge pickup.

Could you give us the specs of this quitar (neck and body finish, neck radius, contour type, fret size, etc...),
    because i'm quite interested after all i saw....

:drool

Great soldering job!
    Sweetest looking guitar!
    Congrats CC!!!

:cool: :cool: :cool:

13. HHB

HHB Member

sweet! I love the revesre bridge pup and stagger, I need to try this myself, nice work!

14. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Thanks, guys!

The body is routed S-S-H, so it was no problem changing the angle of the bridge pickup. No body work needed, just bought the pickguard and away I went.

It's a typical MIM Strat finish, all poly. Alder body, maple neck/fretboard, 9.5" radius, medium jumbo frets. The profile is like an EC neck, starts at the nut with a soft V and changes to full C around the 7-8 fret. It's substantial without being a ball bat. I like the neck alot, it's the only thing that's keeping me from doing teh full Voodoo conversion and popping a reverse headstock neck on there.