Heres another take on the $10000 for a Randall thread...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by padavis, Aug 12, 2008.

1. padavis

padavis Supporting Member

Have you spent over $5000 on an amp or set of amps? If so what factors made you do so? Was it the age, coolness, rarity equaling future value, or whatever factor? Was it the brand name association with the sound you want?
    How do you justify spending that type of money on a musical amplifier, be it your profession or hobby? One more, is it worth it? I want to spend that type of money someday on a combo of amps. I'd like to have a Hiwatt, Fargen, Swart, Bruno, and a Dr. Z in my lifetime all at once haha! Any thoughts would be great and appreciated... I am bored at work...

2. HEAVENandHELL

HEAVENandHELL Member

Anyone who blows $5000+ on an amp has too much disposable income. Think of all the other things in life that could be paid for if you bought a less expensive amp and then used the rest of the cash to ???

I've got great amps but they didn't cost me $5000 each. Besides, great amps don't make great players.

I'm feeling anti-capitalist today.

3. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

Most expensive amp was about $1200.

I've got a wife and kid to support, and I'm only 22 - my money goes on far more important stuff than gear these days . . .

4. madstrat

madstrat Member

i dropped 2k on a 101b

it is money well spent

5. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

You can afford the f&^kin' thing, more power to you.

Why is this a problem for so many people?

6. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Supporting Member

I spent $4600 on a Diezel VH4S just to see what "top of the line" meant. It was a cool amp that sounded pretty darn good...but not THAT good. Eventually, I ended up selling it. Now, I find amps to be similar to wine. If I buy a $40 bottle of wine (which I will never do) it BETTER taste good. So where's the satisfaction in that? I would rather buy a $10 bottle of wine and have it blow me away.

My Matchless fulfills my need for an upper crust amp, so now I love getting great tone on the cheap. I got the Traynor YCS50 head for less than $600, and believe it or not, it kicks all sorts of ass.

7. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

I wish I could AFFORD to spend 10k on an amp.

8. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

I just don't see 10 k of amp value there........

9. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

at least its a tube amp, really hard to swallow for a solid state randall

10. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

just ask the oboe player in the local city orchestra how much his oboe cost him, and it'll all fall into perspective.

11. drewl

drewl Member

Exactly, our sax player brings like 3 horns to a gig each worth ~ $3K

12. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

I've dropped 5K on an amp. Still have it. Marshall made, CMI branded, 50 watt 2x12 combo in BLUE. Never seen another one. It was really tough to spend that much, but I am very happy with it.

13. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

For me it was the chicks, they dig 100 watts of clean power in the Two-Rock Sterling Sig...

14. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

I'd rather have 5 great $2000 amps, or get a few great amps and a really nice guitar.

15. frank62

frank62 Member

If nothing else this has people talking about Randalls and I suspect that is what Rudy was after here.

16. gbm

gbm Member

My personal perspective, owning a $9000 tuba that I used in a few local city orchestras, is that $5k is way too much to spend on a guitar amp.

17. NativH

NativH Member

$10K for vintage gear is no big deal and will probably seem like a good buy someday in thre future. $10K for a new production amp, even limited issues ones, may not work out that great for you. As an investment of course. Remember that Jaguar Marshall BB Combos? Can you even give those away these days? I doubt you will get your $7500 back or even close. Of course I could be totally wrong and those could be fetchin big bucks these days.

18. padavis

padavis Supporting Member

HEAVENandHELL I appreciate your answer for sure man. Seems like an awful lot of money to spend on musical gear when everyone ends up sounding like themselves anyway. I still wonder why I personally WANT the big name amps I stated. I don't need them. I don't play out anywhere but church and what I got is ridiculous for even that... I just like the idea of getting a nice piece of work for some reason. I dig the fact that people are making very detailed amps. They are just like works of art and really cool pieces of human culture that I feel should be cherished as much as great works of art or architecture. To think we can achieve such neat tones using little boxes of metal and wood, I dig that. And, I want cooler and cooler little boxes of metal and wood! Thanks for your answers fellas. I appreciate your time.