Here's one answer to reverb questions...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mad dog, Feb 22, 2006.

1. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Outboard reverb. I finally caved on this. Loved the EH Holy Grail sound, but not the noise. Short on bucks, so couldn't do Uncle Spot. Found a mint Fender RI Reverb tank, with upgraded power tube installed. I've got a few more mods to make (NOS preamp tubes, maybe changed caps), but already I can say WOWEE. In combination with my Gibson GA40, remarkable. That amp has a smokey, howling sound. The reverb adds a touch of gain and bite. Amazing sustain, some real sting with my G&L ASAT Classic. I'm not happy to have something additional to lug around, but really happy with this sound.

2. rkymtnhi

rkymtnhi Member

I run a factory stock RI reverb tank in front of my Orange AD30 and love the sound. I'd like to tame the highs a little bit, so I'm looking at some of the mods your unit has. How usable is the tone knob on yours? I've got to keep mine pegged all the way back, and I'd still like to lose more highs.

3. erksin

erksin Member

Easiest thing to do is replace the 6V6 with a 6K6 like the original - won't be as hot with less harshness.

I love my original '65 unit - but I consider it more of an effect than a straight reverb tone. It's a beautiful, singular sound - but not always the right reverb tone for me.

4. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Please enlighten me here...are you guys talking about an actual tank, alont with tubes and circuitry (stand alone?) from an amp being used?

Any links so I can see what it is you guys have?

5. erksin

erksin Member

Here you go...

[​IMG]

Mix, Dwell, and Tone controls and 2-12AX7s with a 6K6 for power. It's Surf music in a box!

6. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Thanks...cool photo.

Does this mean you hook it up from an amps' effect send/return ? It has no speakers, but must have some kind of tub buffer in there? Amplification?

How much do one of those go for, and are they vintage or being sold these days?

I really had never heard of this til now...

7. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

I saw a Marshall Fuzz/Reverb on eBay the other day. It was broken but still sold for big $$$. I didn't even know those existed.

8. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Stomp:

It runs in line between guitar and front of amp. (Suppose you could do an effects loop, but the amps I would use this on had no such thing.)

RK: Mine has the 6K6 in it . I'll change preamp tubes and do the cap mod (supposedly deepens reverb tone, lets more lows through.) It is a bit wild right now. Hard to control, prone to vibration and such, which creates sound "artifacts" for lack of a better term. The add'l mods will surely smooth it out some. But by nature, it's old school, a unique sound. The sweet spot for me so far is dwell 2, mix 4, tone 4. Yes, it's very different than the in-amp effect. Reverb and gain boosts are accentuated when you turn up at the guitar for solos. Adds sustain and presence at higher volumes, not just reverb. It's a classic, hot sound. Got a wicked slide tone going last night ... can't wait to hear this on a stage.

You can get used RI units for 200 - 350. Vintage ones are much higher, and quite variable in tone and condition. I'd love to try the Uncle Spot and Clark units. The 3-knob reverb in my Clark Tyger is in a class by itself, smooth, huge and totally natural. The Fender RI is very different. I'm liking it.

9. erksin

erksin Member

No - it was designed to go in front of the amps input like a pedal, no effects loops back then. The 6K6 is the power tube - it adds a slight boost to your input signal. This is *THE* Dick Dale sound (he apparently collaborated w/Fender on it back in '61 and got the first unit, IIRC)...

The vintage ones like mine can still be found, but they are pricey (anywhere from $6-700 to start with nice examples going for close to $1K from what I've seen recently). There was a reissue done in the mid '70s with Silverface control panels and then a second reissue in the '90s - these are also nice units and with a few tweaks can me made to sound like the originals.

Standel, Premier, Gibson, Danelectro, Supro, and others made stand-alone units back in the '60s as well. The Fender is the most famous, but the others sound cool too - the Premier especially...

10. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

I just received a reverb unit from Uncle Spot. I agree with all the other rave reviews this thing has gotten. First of all, it was packed incredibly well. It's built to the highest quality with the best components. It sounds great - really smooooth. I may be most impressed for what it doesn't do - change the tone of the guitar and amp. I have a bunch of boutique pedals which take just a hint of compression out of the tone. Not the Uncle Spot. In one setting, it turned my strat into a smooth, jazz guitar - in a good way - and the guitar's voice doesn't get lost in the reverb. It took 10 weeks (short when you consider the wait lists for the KOT and Echoczar) for this piece of sonic nirvana to get to me but it was worth the wait. I had some nice conversations with Ron Veil and would wholeheartedly recommend this baby.

11. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

I just grabed a 6G15 clone made by Li'l Dawg, and it is the shizzit. Sounds WAY better than any pedal or rack unit I've ever tried.

12. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

Mine is the tan model '63 Reissue with a 6K6, 12AX7, and 12AT7 for the Reverb Driver - I also applied mine the C10 cap mod.

I have a thick piece of foam rubber under the tank inside the unit to lessen vibrations - it works most of the time with no degradation to the tone. I don't play mine setting on top of an amp. At one time Fender sold springs to suspend the unit to lessen vibrations - if your band plays reasonably on stage without a lot of jumping around, you won't need them.

13. mezcalhead

mezcalhead Member

Nothing like a reverb tank! Having the three controls (mix/dwell/tone) gives you much more control than the standard single control on most amps - I say most because I think the Vibro-King has a full reverb tank circuit built into it.

Having watched the reverb tank market lately, I'd agree with those prices .. I'd just add that the vintage Fender reverb tanks in black tolex seem to be quite a bit cheaper than the earlier blonde or brown tolex ones. Same circuit AFAIK. There are later 70s black tolex tanks as well; I think the circuit is a little different in those.