here's one for you guys: is there a momentary delay pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by papersun, Apr 1, 2015.

1. papersun

papersun Member

a delay pedal that only repeats whatever you play when you hold down the switch, and then fades away normally after you depress it. does this exist?

i know there are things like the ehx chill switch, that can take a regular effect and make it momentary, but the trails would cut off also.

i'm curious more for vocals than for guitar.

2. ZaneW

ZaneW Member

Any delay where you can control the mix with an expression pedal should do the trick.

3. eflatminor

eflatminor Member

My Moog analog delay has what's called a 'spillover' switch. When that switch is 'on', you can engage the delay as normal, but when you disengage, the tails don't stop abruptly, but fade out. It's a nice feature to have.

Is that what you have in mind?

4. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

isn't there a EHX Freeze pedal that does that?? wait.. i think maybe only the last note though..

5. beneharris

beneharris Member

You can set up VFE's delay to work momentary.

6. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

The Neunaber Echelon delay's mix knob is really a send knob for much of it's travel. I use an expression pedal to send a note or phrase into the delay, then back off.

The H9 can do tails, so that you can engage it with one press, play something, then turn it off with a second press, and the tails keep repeating.

7. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

8. jackrockerman

jackrockerman Member

Eventide Timefactor..

repeat button..
    can assign it by Aux switch or pedal itself..

9. THiwaTT

THiwaTT Member

Endangered Audio AD4096

10. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

I do this using any killdry delay in a parallel loop, using either a volume pedal or a momentary switch to feed the input of the delay - similar to having a delay send on a mixer and momentarily turning up the send for an isolated noted/passage - very common technique in dub / reggae. I often put an envelope filter or other mod after the delay (but before it's mixed back in with dry signal) for some very cool modulated delays.

apoyando likes this.
  11. Telecasteur

Telecasteur Member

I asked this same thing 3 years ago, as my very first TGP post. Seemed like nobody got what I was asking.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1037128

Here's the solution I came up with. Sure would be nice if a pedal builder just made a single box that could do this. But no.

[​IMG]

With the single pedal tamer, you can select 2 momentary modes or latching. (use normally closed for the function you are asking)

The nova repeater has a kill dry button too. The Boss LS-2 would work in place of the mosquito blender. An EHX chill switch would work instead of the Cusack.

12. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Nice setup.

13. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

Mix engineers do this all the time, you just set up a send to the fx as a mix channel fader you can access during the performance and just send certain words or phrases to the fx.

Seems the closest thing for that on the floor is just going to be a delay pedal in your amp loop with a volume pedal in front to send the loop output to the fx. If you don't have a loop, make a loop in your fx chain with a loop blend pedal (a small mixer for your fx chain) and use a momentary switcher or a volume pedal to send the signal only when you want.

The diagram above does this, but doesn't talk it out so you can make your own design from the elements available to you. Lots of loop blending pedals in the market now ( one control, xotic, carl martin, rocktron, lehle).

14. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Member

One of the VFE delay pedals might do what you want as all of their pedals have a dual-mode switch that you can change to momentary operation.
    http://www.vfepedals.com/blueprint.html
    You could email the builder to confirm it.

15. liordino

liordino Member

16. bobcunningham

bobcunningham Member

Warp mode on the DD-6?

17. Telecasteur

Telecasteur Member

Wow, this one actually does it. Kudos to Coldcraft for understanding and finally doing this.

Any demos out there?

From their website:

Momentary Bypass Mode

The EchoVerberator can be put into “momentary” mode where effects are triggered only when the footswitch is held down. To enter Momentary Mode, leave the pedal in bypass for >3 seconds, then enter the sequence Tap, Tap, Hold and the LED will blink indicating the Mode change. Repeat to reverse, or unplug/plug the power cord. This mode works in conjunction with the modulation and reverb always on options.

And it has trails. This is the only one out, or you could do my diagram i posted.

/thread

18. papersun

papersun Member

19. liordino

liordino Member

There are audio demos on Coldcraft's website, but I don't know of any videos. Unfortunately mine had a minor problem and I had to return it for a replacement, so I can't record a video demo right now, but I tested it and I can tell that it works like it should.

Another thing: this minor problem served to show me one of the best customer services that I ever encountered. Even though I live in Brazil and the pedal is manufactured in the USA, Austin easily solved the problem, with great communication. Great guy.

20. lwatford

lwatford Member

Anyone tried the ehx chillswitch for this?