Here's Something That You've Probably Not Seen

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by belleswell, Jul 13, 2019.

1. belleswell

belleswell Member

Here's something you don't see everyday. We were both upstairs and all 3 of
    our dogs started barking like someone was at the door. We are in a rural
    area and hardly ever get visitors. We checked both doors and no one. I asked
    my wife if she had a load of laundry going as an unbalanced load will some times
    make some noise. Nope. Then we heard it again coming from downstairs. I went down
    the stairs and peeked around the corner.

Aside from the knocking and beating the glass sliding door because they can see their reflection, there is the addition of a local guinea fowl hen that has been hanging out with them for over a month. The biggest toms in the group get all puffed up when she's near them. This hen can be seen coming up behind them and breaking up the ruckus. Hilarious. When I researched guinea fowl hens, I found that this one has the coloration they call chocolate. They are free range and known for going on walkabouts.

She probably liked the local turkey flock when they came by her place and she went with them.
    She's quite bossy and herds the flock if they get too far apart. I've seen a lot of turkey action,
    but never anything like what we've been watching between the guinea hen and the turkeys. She probably came from a farm within a mile or so.

2. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

I live in the boondocks and we get turkeys but I am amazed how urban they are. I’ve got friends in Minneapolis suburbs that have a lot of them and see them all the time. I suspect they’re going to rumble with the Canadian geese that we’ve also got all over the place.

84superchamp and belleswell like this.
  3. sixstringfuel

sixstringfuel Hotdogs kill

A couple of months ago while walking the dog a few times we came upon about two hundred wild turkeys all congregated together. Right after, i have a couple game cameras out on our property the congregation was hanging out back of our house, they kept walking in circles. They would walk up to our fence then turn around walk to the path then turn around towards the fence again over and over again. It was quite a spectacle. I have never seen that many together before nor act that way.

4. PLX

PLX MENSA member, Astronaut, Dated Your Mom Once Gold Supporting Member

Magnetic pole shift is imminent.

5. MLaVache

MLaVache Member

We had guinea hens all over when I lived in the Dominican Republic. They're very social fowl and have a lot going on in their flocks. They can get pretty dang aggressive, too. Very pretty birds though.

84superchamp and belleswell like this.
  6. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Motorhed

Motorhed Member

"Excuse us, sir. Have you thought about a nice ham for Thanksgiving this year?" They're making the rounds now because, by November, it's too late. That explains part of it, the guineafowl hen, I've got nothing.

belleswell likes this.
  8. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

Obviously that hen has some magnetism, just look at those tom turkeys "puffing up". Oh yeah.

PLX, belleswell and VooDooClown like this.
  9. belleswell

belleswell Member

If elected, I promise to abolish Thanksgiving dinners.

Turkey stumping
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

PLX, Motorhed and 84superchamp like this.
  10. 84superchamp

The wild turkey population has exploded, they are everywhere and in huge groups. Hit one in flight on a motorcycle and you are probably done for.
    Is there a season for turkeys, or are they protected?

belleswell likes this.
  11. Nevets

Nevets Supporting Member

Turkeys can't fly. I learned that on WKRP in Cincinnati.

Papanate, wi3465, Wolfgangsta and 3 others like this.
  12. wedgehed

wedgehed Member

I was kind of surprised yesterday when I found three turkey buzzards perched on the bird bath in my backyard. I was impressed by how loud their wing flaps were when they took off.

belleswell likes this.
  13. belleswell

belleswell Member

Main hunting season is in the spring but they can also be had in the fall. Where I'm at, not many hunt them. A lot more hunt deer than turkey.

I loved that episode.

84superchamp likes this.
  14. 84superchamp

:roll

Well.....5 - 6 ft off the ground doesn't count, about head height for a biker.
    :eek:

VooDooClown, belleswell and Nevets like this.
  15. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

As God is my witness...

16. mango

mango Member

Us Ontario Canucks traded some of our moose for some of your US turkeys 20-30 years ago to re-introduce them.
    Now Ontario is crawling with them,we have a spring hunt and a fall hunt for them,
    AFAIK you can only shoot toms and jakes in the spring,theory being let the hens raise the brood .
    I'd never seen a wild turkey until the late 1990s,now its like seeing a squirrel or a blackbird.

Never had one knock at my door though.

belleswell and 84superchamp like this.
  17. 84superchamp

I've never hunted either but it seems turkey hunting would be much easier. Surely you don't have to sit in a blind for days. There is a spot a couple miles from my house where they (turkeys) cross the road at dawn and at dusk...if i just had a spot to sit and wait.

VooDooClown and belleswell like this.
  18. Motorhed

Motorhed Member

Hahahaha! That's freakin' great!

For far too long, this so called "holiday" has been allowed to go on. Countless turkeys are taken away in their prime every year. I say no more! If the humans want war, we will give them war! It's time for them to learn what it's like to be placed in an oven with bread shoved up their....I'll stop there.

jbviper4 and belleswell like this.
  19. mango

mango Member

Turkeys are hard to hunt according to my buddies who do hunt them.
    They are a very wary bird with incredible eyesight .
    I know if I'm in my kitchen and see some on the back 40,as soon s I step out onto my deck they go into stealth mode,hunkering down and sneaking through the long grass.
    Same if you stop on the road to check some out in a field if you are driving by,as soon as you slow down or stop they are on high alert.

I had my game cam out a couple of years ago
    One day bunch of turkeys triggered it and then about 10 minutes later a couple of hunters headed in same direction triggered it again.
    15 minutes after that the hunters were heading back from where they came fromwith not a bird to be seen.

84superchamp, Papanate and belleswell like this.
  20. belleswell

belleswell Member

Here is a unique shot I got a couple months back of two toms pruning themselves just outside the window.
    I was inside about 10 feet away hiding behind a tripod/camera.

[​IMG]