Here's the sound I want,do I need to spend £2,000+ to get it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by freakinawesome, Feb 19, 2009.

1. freakinawesome

freakinawesome Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y6X1iV5kic

In the title really,this is the sound I want - but is there a cheaper way of getting it?Obviosly this fella's a great player so that helps.
    It's really out of my price range though(I was looking at the statesman half stack and DSL50),but as I only want one great amp I probably wouldn't mind going a bit more....around £1000+cab

Already have a couple modded VJr's,Blackstar HT-5 and Tonelab so i'm ok for indoor amps.
    Any thoughts?

2. stoob0t

stoob0t Member

If you're willing to go for the Hughes & Kettner Tri-Amp Mk1, that's a very close sounding head - and they usually go for around £600.

Same sort of price for a Mesa/Boogie 2x12. I'd say a very similar sounding rig is easily do-able for under £2k.

3. freakinawesome

freakinawesome Member

Yeah pretty good playing hey?
    Well i'm not too bothered about cleans but the sound he's getting at 1.00 onwards - that's the sound for me!Should have probably mentioned it before....

4. stoob0t

stoob0t Member

If you're not bothered by cleans, and you want a similar overdrive tone, i'd probably consider a Soldano HR50 - and definitely look a cab with Celestion V30's. You can probably pick up a used HR50 for about £700.

5. geng

geng Member

Mesa Lone Star head with recto cab. Maybe Mesa Stilletto.

6. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Try an Engl screamer.

7. MartinC

MartinC Member

PM sent, but before I heard the clip ... I'll have a listen tonight ... can't access youtube right now.

8. MartinC

MartinC Member

OK ... listened to the clip ... I reckon you could get very close to that tone with the Statesman ... but it will be a little more vintage sounding