Here's the specs...what guitar am I looking for?

kln_bc

So I have something very specific in my head that I want but I can't find...what I'm looking for:

Semi-Hollow or chambered.
Two Humbuckers
Mohogany body
Mohogany set neck, not super slim or fat (I like the Fender deep C and PRS pattern regular for reference)
Double cut, preferably a longer upper horn as it hangs better, but I may consider this optional
Under 8 pounds
TOM bridge
Max 22 frets
Not insanely expensive (around 2k max)

I feel like this should be easier to find...does this guitar exist? I can find lots if I compromise on even one thing, but I don't want to lol.

Last edited:

BlueWolf

Mutations Expert
Platinum Supporting Member
Take a look at the Eastman Romeo, although one will probably run you a couple hundred over your $2K budget.

kln_bc

PRS Semi-hollow? Not sure what bridge they use though
They are all a trem...as far as I know anyway. There's the S2 Custom 22 Semi, and the S2 Vela Semi that would be ideal, but wrong bridge.

Also PRS is near impossible to find in Canada since the pandemic.

Feely6

Gibson 336. Gretsch Double Jet. Think some of the centre block models are mahogany too. Revstar.

kln_bc

Gibson 336. Gretsch Double Jet. Think some of the centre block models are mahogany too. Revstar.
The 336 is WELL above the price point (I wish lol). Every Gretsch that pretty much fits the bill has their thin U neck which is awful.

The Revstar is one I need to revisit. It's pretty ideal on paper, but it's pretty light on the chambering. I played a low end model and it was an anchor...well over 8 pounds. I'd be curious to try a pro model.

kln_bc

Just found one that fits to a tee...the Harmony Comet. Anyone familiar them?

Last edited:

Urobouros

Double Platinum Member
Interesting, never looked at those before. The slim taper is typically a bit thinner than I'd like in a neck.
I'm not a fan of the slim taper profile either & found the Midtown neck was both too flat & too thin for my taste. YMMV of course!

bikeracr

Silver Supporting Member
Look on Reverb for the Gene Baker b3 SL-K…it’s in your price range. Gene is a very well know & respected builder (former Fender Custom Shop). I don’t know these more budget friendly models well, but his full custom builds, for which he is known, are great guitars. By extension, these should be good.

TDLP

Gibson Johnny A Signature fits the bill nicely, although it does have a bigsby and is $$.

Duesenberg makes a variety of guitars that fit that bill, but also pricy.

PRS Zack Myers is pretty cool, ticks a lot of boxes.

Feely6

The 336 is WELL above the price point (I wish lol). Every Gretsch that pretty much fits the bill has their thin U neck which is awful.

The Revstar is one I need to revisit. It's pretty ideal on paper, but it's pretty light on the chambering. I played a low end model and it was an anchor...well over 8 pounds. I'd be curious to try a pro model.

When I had a 336 I found it played more like a solid body than an ES.

My Gretsch G2655 has a very fat neck, it's extremely comfortable; same with my Revstar. You may consider the Streamliners too 'budget', but there's a mahogany hardtail. I think they're great guitars, and well worth upgrading pickups etc.

Just looked, it seems to be the P90 models which are mahogany.

fitz

Hamer Artist if you can find one under 2K. The prices have shot up recently due to their scarceness. I have an original debut year '95-'96 model and it is the best playing sweetest sounding guitar I own.

rickt

Platinum Supporting Member
If you are looking for something a bit different, try Tone Revival:
1659183956006.png

https://www.tonerevivalguitars.com/spirit-of-the-wind-new/#specifications

Chicago Slim

I'm a PRS guy and love my SE Hollowbody II, Zach Myers and S2 Singlecut Semi-hollow. The S2 Doublecut McCarty would be a good bet. The Hollowbody Standard is mahogany, with a stop tailpiece. I don't know why you would want mahogany, when laminated maple is standard for semi-hollows.

The inexpensive guitar that really surprised me, is the Inspired by Gibson, Epiphone 335. I've owned a '67 ES335, '82 Ibanez AM50 and '02 Heritage H535. My 335 is light (7.4 lbs.) and very resonant, like my other semi's. Much closer to what I want than the modern Gibson ES335's that I've played.

100_2512.JPG

Last edited:

lessthanbug

Just found one that fits to a tee...the Harmony Comet. Anyone familiar them?
I more or less registered just so I could respond to this...

I bought a Harmony Comet earlier this year, around February 2022, after doing a ton of research on semi-hollow body guitars. To put things into perspective, I have always dreamed of a cherry red Gibson ES-335 but I have never been able to justify that expense. Anywho, I ordered the Harmony from American Music Supply, nervous that I was going to hate it but, to my surprise, I was (still am!) smitten with this guitar from the moment I picked it up. It is a bit smaller than the 335 so don't expect a body that large. It is super light, the mahogany body is carved, not laminated, the neck feels perfect, and those pick-ups... Wow, those pick-ups are my favorite EVER!!! Seriously, I play it through either a Fender 68 DRRI or my older Orange AD 30 head into a 1x12" cab and I can't get a bad sound out of it. The only thing it isn't suited for is metal. Rock/country/jazz: all no problem at all. Also, I usually don't care much for neck pick-ups on most humbucker equipped guitars, but the Comet sounds so good at the neck. Anyways, I can't recommend it strongly enough. It is a great guitar for the money. I also fits all of your needs that you listed.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom