Here's what happens when you pack a guitar poorly

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Imiss85, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Imiss85

Imiss85 Member

On a whim, I decided to order an Agile LP copy - thought it would be a cool thing to upgrade and play with, plus leave it on a stand and not worry about my kids scratching it up. I bought a case with it, why I don't know. So it arrives yesterday, Guitar in case, case in box, with a VERY small amount of bubble wrap on the headstock. No packing material anywhere else. Guitar, in case, in box. Here's the result.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x37/baddmann28/Agilebrokenheadstock.jpg
    http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x37/baddmann28/Agilebrokenheadstockback.jpg
    http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x37/baddmann28/Agilebrokenheadstockfront.jpg

That last picture look above the 00, you'll see the break.

Now granted, it was $400.00, but still. I've shipped a dozen guitars in my life, and I pack with a crapload of bubble wrap everywhere it will fit. So far, no response from the seller. What a crock. Anyway, all I want to say is DON'T FRIGGEN SHIP A GUITAR THIS WAY TO ANYONE!

Ok, I don't really feel better, but hopefully this is a lesson in how not to ship a guitar.

2. Tuco

Tuco Member

Sorry to hear this. I certainly hope the seller does the right thing. Good luck.

3. guitarnyc

guitarnyc Member

if you paid with a credit card, be sure to dispute the charge if he doesn't get back to you...let them go after him :)

4. bilbal

bilbal Member

So what if it's only 400 bux? It's still 400 bux that you don't have at the moment. I also hope that the other guy does the right thing. Sorry for this dude!!

Bill

5. smorgdonkey

smorgdonkey Member

That's really poor indeed. I had a guitar without a case shipped to me from a person pretty far south in the USA and that guy packed the thing incredibly well. Cardboard and bubble wrap in layers...it took me about 20 minutes to unwrap so I guessed that it must have taken at least an hour to package up.

Not only that but it must have been dropped and/or tossed to get a break like that. Normally, boxes as large as a guitar are handles with care because of their size...at least at Canada Post anyway.

6. Imiss85

Imiss85 Member

Nope paypal. But pretty much the same thing, at least I hope. I'm just bummed. I'm sure the seller will make it right, but when you are looking forward to a new toy, and the toy is broken, it ticks you off. Hopefully , someone will read this and see what crappy packing does to a guitar, and do a better job. That's the intent of the post.

7. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

I can understand you being bummed out when with a little more care this could have been avoided.

I can remember when I received my Lentz and it was just the guitar in it's case and the case in a box. :worried

When I sold it I put plenty of packing inside the case to protect it and then boxed the case up. It was being shipped over night to a neighboring state. When the guy received it he was upset that I didn't double box it, but the guitar arrived fine.

Sometimes you just can't win.

8. HRydarcik

HRydarcik Member

Ed Roman shipped me a Heritage 535 that arrived in much the same way...the box looked perfect though...I called Ed right away and he asked me if the box was damaged...I said no...he told me to go kick holes in it and file a claim with UPS...thus asking me to commit fraud. I told him no way, that he had packed it crappy and that I wanted an exchange or a refund...he of course refused...we went back and forth for about a month with no satisfaction, so I finally called Heritage and told them how one of their dealers was treating me...within a day they called back and told me to ship the guitar to Ed (at their cost) and then they shipped me a new one.

9. HelloKittyHawk!

HelloKittyHawk! Member

I recently received an early-eighties Hamer Prototype that I won on ebay from a large pawn shop in California. After checking all their recent completed auctions, I noticed that they'd mostly shipped low end guitars, so I e-mailed them a few packing suggestions. They replied that, in order to put the case in a box and use some bubblewrap, they'd need at least $20 more ( they were charging $30 to ship it Parcel Post). It was insured, so I balked and braced myself for the (at least) broken headstock).

It arrived during an intense ice storm and sat on the front step of my brother's house for several hours. Just the guitar in its case, wrapped in butcher paper & plastic! California to New Jersey. Well the headstock had been broken... previously and well repaired! The ebay photos were so poor and the sellers so ignorant (more so than deceptive) that this was unknown to me.

Anyway, this guitar had been seriously mistreated by its previous owner (unless he simply didn't have room for it in his pickup and, thus, had to drag the Hamer behind said pickup with a chain. Exclusively on gravel roads, it seems), but I love it and it was cheaper than the Agile.

What was the point? Oh yeah, worst packing job...EVER!!! Thanks USPS for not finishing it off and, baddmann, sorry you didn't fare as well. Good luck with a speedy resolution.

10. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

I packed a Gretsch 5120 up and shipped it today. It's going from east to west coast, will take 7 days. I'm already sweating. There's no hard case or gigbag for it. When I bought it 3 mos ago, it came in a triabgular cardboard box with a flimsy foam sleeve over it, that's it. That box was in an outer box with some paper. Amazingly, it was fine.

Well, I packed as much bubble wrap as possible, especially all around the neck. Then I packed it in the outer box with lots of packing material. Even with all that, it's a big fat Gretsch hollowbody. All it will take is something heavy falling on it, or some careless klod, and it will get damaged. Yeah, I insured it, but that's no consolation these days.

As for the Agile - whoever sent it wasn't very considerate.

11. DaveF

DaveF Member

I bought a godin from wolfe guitars once. It was shipped that way ... guitar into case into box. no packing material. the box was loose enough that the case flopped around inside. I cringed when I took the package from the ups guy. It ended up being ok, but it was pure luck.

12. Imiss85

Imiss85 Member

Which makes me question... We (forum members) shipped guitars regularly, and we pack with plenty of packing material. Yet businesses that sell and ship guitars for a LIVING pack and ship this way? WTF?:messedup

13. Fauxkinbacker

Fauxkinbacker Member

Did you order from Rondo? My 335 copy got a little crack when they mailed it, but I was able to glue it up.

14. XKnight

XKnight Member

I've had a number on guitars by reputable dealers and even custom builders shipped pretty much the same way. Guitar in case in box and little to no bubble wrap. Luckily, the guitars arrived in one piece. I think how the package is handled during transit has more to do with whether the guitar shows up unscathed than how much bubble wrap or other packing material is used. Of course, the bubble wrap will help, but it's not going to always protect the guitar.

15. davidkiddmusic

davidkiddmusic Member

I feel for you man... I had an amp come back to me with a crack in the headbox... I was pissed. Sending good vibes your direction.

16. 61Ephramite

61Ephramite Supporting Member

I've packed guitars for shipment to every area of the US, Japan, and Australia; so far without any damage. You ALWAYS detune the strings, and bubble wrap the neck and headstock, even in a snug fitting case. Many brands use shipping boxes that have forms for the top and bottom of the guitar case, holding the case stationary inside the box. Even at that, expecting FedX or UPS to throw the thing around like a dishrag, you take out the trash and pack it around the interior.
    The difference is between sellers who want only your money and those who want you as a happy customer. Sorry for your trouble Baddmann

17. crosse79

crosse79 Member

Sorry to hear what happened to you man.

18. jtees4

jtees4 Member

I recently bought a used PRS SE from an idiot in Florida...it came in the gig bag....PERIOD. No wrapping at all. He just slapped a label on it and the Post Office slapped some stamps on it. Unbelievable. And the thing arrived fine, Luckily PRS makes some nice heavy duty gig bags.

19. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

Did you buy that new from Rondo? If so they will take care of you. I had two Agiles come in broken and they exchanged/refunded both times no questions.

20. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

Rondo's a stand up outfit as stated.

I bought a Gibson LP Special a couple of weeks ago from ebay. It had a crack at the headstock and I didn't pay that much for it, but they shipped it in aa acoustic box with about a gallon of peanuts!!! It was bouncing around in there the whole trip, but thankfully it didn't suffer anymore damage. It's a small clean crack that will repair up real well. Then the fun begins . . . :cool: