Here's what I don't understand...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Goodwood Audio, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Goodwood Audio

Goodwood Audio Member

The DMM is a well sought after pedal, and in particular older ones with "better" chips etc, and word on the street is that soon they'll be all gone due to the limited stock of the chips (whatever they are).
    Obviously when the chips have all run out the DMM will no longer be made. Even if it was, with a different chip, players will always prefer the vintage ones because they sound better.

Here's what I don't understand.

If the US Government has the technology to make a nuclear bomb that can be fired from a submarine and then, remotely controlled, be sent to destroy an entire nation, why can't a company like EHX make more of the 'vintage' chips that make the older units more desirable.

Obviously these chips were designed and manufactured at some point in time by humans. Why can't humans reverse engineer them to make more?????

2. soulsonic

soulsonic Member

Because humans only believe in putting that kind of effort into things used to destroy each other. I blame over-population... something in our genetic code says, "Kill, kill, kill!!!"

3. M Hossa

M Hossa Member

DMM? (Digital Multimeter or Dynamic Metal Masters?)
    :p

4. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

My guess is that there is not enough demand to justify the investment in production.

5. sxt

sxt Member

ditto what "soulsonic" said.

Which reminds me of someone's very popular quote that is so true even though it is over subscribed:
    Hendrix : "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."

Why does the spellchecker not understand "Hendrix" when entering the message?

6. jb1911

jb1911 Member

This is the wrong answer.

This is the right answer.

7. sxt

sxt Member

jb1911, now I have to agree with you - always better to see the glass half full.

8. pear gage

pear gage Member

even if they wanted to build vintage components exactly like they used to, they would be prohibited because of environmental regulations. those old electronics and tubes used a a lot of toxins and heavy metals in their manufacture.

9. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

Interesting point. I hadn't thought of that.

Hmmm....I wonder if there's like an underground market for producing new electronics with vintage specs now deemed illegal? Kinda like rum-runners during prohibition......

Please let me know if there is....I promise I won't tell. ;)

10. Jay Douglas

Jay Douglas Member

Nahh, they just have them made in China where there are no rules.
    And there are chips being made, see Behringer, Visual sound, and Fulltone's Delay Chip, to name a few.

11. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

The thing that chaps my ass is I've been hearing the "end of the chip" story for what...ten years now? I call BS on the pedals makers. As long as people will buy them they will be made somewhere...might be expensive but they will be made.

12. fishlog

fishlog Member

Everyone is wrong!!!

Its because our big vanity stained ego's have been brain washed to think vintage is better. As far as I can see or tell The DMM has had a number of make overs over the years. But if your like me and need to cure your taste for "vintage... it must sound better" then you can go to eBay and over pay for one! (at least that what I do)

13. OrangeAD30TC

OrangeAD30TC The venerable H.W.

Damn you beat me to it. They already make new chips they just dont say the word "panasonic" on them and people beleive the panasonic ones sound better because we just accept that old is better in chip production because in other guitar related feild older is better. Speakers, amps, tubes. These things used to be made by humans and now quality has suffered because they are made on assembly lines by machines. But for goodness sake I am glad that machines and not people are making my micro chips, because then each chip would cost a bazillion dollars.

14. puddinstone

puddinstone Supporting Member

Building pedals has always been about money....at least for the big manufacturers. It's capitalism. My guess is the cost of having chips made is too much to provide a product that is cost effective or deemed worth the trouble when other chips are available. Small to medium sized builders don't have the resources to get chips made to their specs...

Also, as said above, there is a lot of hype around vintage. There is a difference between something having great tone, and being collectible. They don't always go hand in hand.

15. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

Building chips to fit on the end of a pin is the wave of the future...You may as well wonder why they don't build black&white TV's or mimeograph machines.
    [Note I did not say "head" but "end"]

16. awallace

awallace Member

Hope it's okay to interject here- the currently produced BBD chips are a lower voltage design (based on the MN3205) than the Panasonic MN3005. The result is less dynamic range and poorer signal to noise ratio. Although it's cool that someone is currently manufacturing BBD chips it would be great to see someone begin manufacturing the 3005 again...

Sometimes older is better though certainly not always!

Regards,

Aimish Wallace
    Diamond Pedals

17. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

FWIW, Fulltone is now having its own custom chips made for the new chorus/vibe/flanger that he's working on. However, Fuller also says now that the company that made the tape used in cartridges for his TubeTapeEcho units has stopped production. As most folks around here also know, Fulltone stopped production of the '69 and SoulBender fuzzes because decent Germanium transistors are getting (even) harder to find.

We need some rich guitar geek to open a factory that produces nothing but high-quality bucket-brigade chips, Germanium transistors, Echoplex tape and Genelex-clone vaccuum tubes!! Oh, and it would be nice if this factory would be carbon-neutral and only emit water-vapor and Chanel No.5 from its smokestacks.