Here's your Jerry Garcia Pedal

GhostJam47

Silver Supporting Member
I posted on the “Do you like the Grateful Dead” thread that I was a fan, especially the early 70’s, but when Jerry turns on the envelope filter, it’s an immediate turn off. I like virtually none of the songs where he uses it and I don’t want my guitar to sound like that!
I can see this in terms of it being overbearing at times in the lates 70s (e.g. Estimated Prophet).

But the more subtle use on those '77 Fires is objectively sublime.

tubekingsley

This is definitely the general consensus. They just aren’t very available.
Just for the record, some past threads have suggested the Rubber Chicken sounds great, but not as much of a Garcia flavor, as others. I’ve never played one, but that’s impression I get from demos.

EmandoDave

I few bucks more than $150, and a few controls more than one knob,by but the Almond Blossom by NoiseKickFX is an amazing MuTron inspired pedal. Internal voltage pump let's it give love to single coil and humbucker pickups.

I also have the DOD440, which is a great sounding, easy-to-use pedal. You should be able to get some of the Jerry e.f. tones from it, especially if you run a compressor after it.

Dontchaknow

Silver Supporting Member
Just for the record, some past threads have suggested the Rubber Chicken sounds great, but not as much of a Garcia flavor, as others. I’ve never played one, but that’s impression I get from demos.
I totally disagree, its the only one where i could get that mellow rubbery sound that really reacts to your playing and doesn't sound harsh or weird on the highs. Ive tried many, but of course everyone's ideal tone and rig are different. Definitely grab one if you can though, they are easy to resell if you don't like it.

Thoughtpolice

Yeah, I'm considering it. Some people say it does JG, some say it doesn't. To my ears it sounds maybe a little more on the warm, soft funk chords spectrum and less of the quack, and I have that sound covered by my Spatial Delivery, which is great for certain things but not too much for JG to my ears.

I had a Micro Q Tron for quite a few years that was okay for JG I guess if pretty harsh to my ears, and I just didn't like it so I sold it recently. I understand the bigger ones are better, but something about the Q Trons just doesn't excite me. Really like the sound of the Rubber Chicken, but they are not available and when they are pricey.
I bought the dod on clearance and find with the knobs around 11:00 you can get close.

mlynn02

ive owned a bunch of filters for the jerry thing, old and new, including all the "go to's". you may not believe me, but the flamma filter is a killer pedal for $25 on amazon. mini size too. it's not a perfect jerry, but it's pretty great, easy to dial in and contrtol. doesn't do reverse sweep tho.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom