Heritage 150 vs Gibson 59 Reissue....

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jjp, Feb 1, 2012.

1. jjp

jjp Senior Member

Okay, aside from about $3000, what is the real difference betwen these two guitars? To these two you could also add the H140 and/or the H157. Or is it just imagination and thinking that you are part of an elite club of Custom Shop owners that creates a percieved difference?

2. Lublin

Lublin Senior Member

Headstock, electronics

3. hank

hank Member

Visit their websites and discover for yourself. Your somewhat slap at Gibson owners tells me you've formed an opinion already. No, I don't own an R9.

Edit: I see you've modified your original statement.

4. jjp

jjp Senior Member

I have visited both of their web sites, thanks very much. The question was posted because there is nothing (on the Gibson web site) to justify Gibson's $3000 price difference over the Heritage models. And before any more hastey generalizations are drawn, I own a 2011 Taditional.

5. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

When all is said and done, you can get a Heritage exactly the same as a Gibson with the exception of the headstock and body depth, which is very slightly thinner. All the electronics, neck carve, finishes and other cosmetic details can be made to your spec on a Heritage.

6. hank

hank Member

You are speaking for yourself, as I am. Enjoy either one you justify.

7. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

In my experience, wood.

8. schrom81

schrom81 Member

The build quality is better with the Heritage. I had four Gibson LP's before I picked of my H-157(still do). But after I bought my Heritage I doubt I will buy Gibson again( unless its a 1985-2000 era for a good price)

9. RedTiger

RedTiger Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't an off the rack H150 closer to a Les Paul Traditional in spec? I'm not talking about build quality or wood quality (I happen to like most of the vanilla Gibson USA LP Traditionals), I'm just talking specifications. I thought H150s had swiss cheese weight relief and a short tennon unless you order custom.

10. Aran

Aran Member

Nope.

11. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

IMHO the Heritage 150 is probably closer to an LP Standard (maybe a slightly older LP standard, no asymmetrical neck, usually not chambered but yes, possibly weight relieved)? The Heritage guitars I have had were both ~10lbs, played and looked and sounded great. So were the Gibson LP Standards I have owned.
    A good example of a Gibson Historic is on another plane (IMHO of course). So, in MY experiences:

H150 = Gibson LP Standard (there are a TON of variations in LP Standards, hard to zero in on exact model)
    Gibson Historic or Custom Shop > H150 or Gibson LP Standard

12. SouthpawGuy

SouthpawGuy Member

No weight relief, chambering, or swiss cheese is used to make a 150 or a 157. They've also been using a long tenon for a while now.

Heritage do make a light weight 150, it's called a 150LW. That model is chambered.

I have both a 150, 8.2lbs, and a 157, 9.4lbs. They're both solid one piece mahogany bodies with maple cap.

My '90 Les Paul Std weighs heavier than both at 10lbs, and it's most likely of swiss cheese construction.

13. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I don't know about the tenon but I do know that H150s have both weight-relieved and non-weight relieved options, and this is clearly marked in the model number designation (can't remember offhand what the two designations actually are).

Mine is a 2008 non-weight relieved 10.5 pound monster with a Bigsby and Seth Lovers... I've played a number of Gibson R8s, R9s etc. imho, this smokes them. But... full disclosure: I actually don't mind weight-relief or chambering and think the current Traditionals are a GREAT deal. I've played a bunch of them and they were really special.

14. RedTiger

RedTiger Member

So, in other words, a Les Paul Traditional. ;)

15. jjp

jjp Senior Member

That was my understanding as well. On the Heritage web site, under the custom tab, you can basically have anything done you want, includng chosing the same exotic flame and/or quilted maple tops that Gibson CS uses. You want Bumble Bee Caps? No problem.

16. Shovelhead

Shovelhead Member

I don't know, and don't have any opinions at all concerning Gibson or Heritage.

Have you ever considered an Agile or a Carvin?

:noevil

17. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

:rotflmao

18. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

No you can't.

19. jjp

jjp Senior Member

I would, but I have never seen one, and I am not apt to buy a guitar thathave not seen. From what I know, there are no stores in the greater Toronto area that carry them. I would however consider a Collings.

20. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

This is TGP. Heratige types will tell you theirs "smokes"/"blows out of the water"/"buries" any Gibson, for $3000 less; Gibson types will tell you theirs is the only Les Paul.

This Gibson-type will tell you: play 'em yourself. If you really want a Les Paul, you'll buy a Historic/CS Gibson. But your OP sounds skewed to the stereotypical Heratige profile!