Heritage 530 Question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by detroitd, Feb 14, 2015.

1. detroitd

detroitd Member

I'm a Heritage fan, have played quite a few Heritage guitars and appreciate the Heritage legacy; I have never owned one. I'm considering buying an H530. I played one at a local shop recently, a gold-top. It plays and sounds great; I have a few questions...

The fit a finish have suffered a bit, perhaps from being on the wall at the guitar shop, it has some nicks.

When I turn down the volume on either of the pick-ups, even just a little bit, the P90 hum increases significantly. Same deal if I switch to a single pickup. I know about P90s and own a semi-hollow with P90s, but this hum was quite a bit more than I'm accustomed to. Is this typical of 530s? I'm told this bad-boy has Lollars. Looks like someone (likely the tech at the store) adjusted the pick-ups quite a bit, the screws have been raised to be much closer to the strings. The plastic on the P90s themselves is not 100% tight to the body (there are some openings between the body and the pickup plastic) I imagine this is because the top is arched and nothing to worry about (this will be my first P90 archtop.) The Gibson 330s I played had quite a bit less hum when adjusting the volume on a single pickup or switching to a single pickup.

Just wanted to see if this is typical. I wish there was another 530 to play within a radius of 150 miles or so to compare, alas there is not.

Thanks in advance!

2. 73Fender

73Fender Member

Sounds like one of the pickups is RWRP..you'll get hum cancelling in the dual position if the volumes are matched. Great guitars.