Heritage 535 Hardware question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by creamedcorn, Mar 27, 2008.

1. creamedcorn

creamedcorn Member

Will a Gibson style ABR bridge and stopbar fit the stud arrangement on the Heritage 535?

2. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

Not directly as the 535 has bussings for the bridge mounting posts. I've heard of people making the hole on a ABR1 bridge just slightly larger and then it can be used with the Nashville style posts, but I've never done it. A Nashville style bridge is a direct replacement for the bulky Schaller roller bridge. A standard stop tail piece is also a direct replacement for the bulky Schaller tail piece.

3. creamedcorn

creamedcorn Member

Trebor,

Thanks for the info. I'm not married to the ABR, especially if it needs modification to work. As I understand it (from my tech), the problem with the Schaller roller bridge is that the radius doesn't match the neck, and that impedes proper set up.

Thanks again for the info... Jeff

4. haslar

haslar Member

My tech told me the same thing.
    But he actually did bend the bridge so that the radius matches the neck.
    Eventually, though, I replaced it with a tune-o-matic bridge, as I couldn't stand those moving saddles.

5. creamedcorn

creamedcorn Member

Richard,

Which specific tune-o-matic did you use?

6. David Collins

David Collins Member

The roller bridges never match the board radius on Heritage guitars - really dumb choice of hardware on their part if you ask me. I'm not sure off hand what bridge will make a direct replacement, but I have turned down the rollers on many a Heritage/Schaller bridge to correct the radius.