Heritage 535 pickup swap

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by johnny5, Feb 7, 2012.

1. johnny5

johnny5 Supporting Member

I have a Heritage 535 I am trying to dail in a little better. I currently have a Seth in the Bridge and a 59 in the neck. I am considering swapping out the pickups.

I have a set of Gibson 57 classics and Wolfetone Dr Vintage. Which pups would suit that guitar better. I am looking for a clear HB sound that is no too hot.

I love the way this guitar plays but have struggled with the tone of it. maybe pickups will put it in the place I can use it. Also considering swapping the Nashville bridge and posts for a Faber ABR-1.

Thanks!

2. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

If those pickups don't sound good, I would think the problem is elsewhere. What kind of amp are you plugging into?

3. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

Yes, you're currently using a nice pair of pickups. Have you experimented much with their height?

4. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

You need to put the Seth in the neck and the '59 in the bridge.

5. snarkle

snarkle Member

Yep: try that. The best semi-hollow/humbucker/neck-pickup sound I've ever had, including vintage, was a Seth in a Heritage 535.

Why on earth did I sell that guitar?

:(

6. Patrick2

Patrick2 Member

Yep!! Undoubtedly this ^. Put the Seth in the neck, roll off the treble in the neck just a tad, (go from 10 to 9 if you've got good linear pots) . . . jazz tone heaven! Put the Duncan '59 in the bridge, adjust the pole screws appropriately, fully open (dime it out) the treble on that pup and "stand back . . try to move away slowley".

Put the selecter switch in the middle and find a sweet spot. You don't need new pups. You've already got 2 of the best.

7. johnny5

Maybe I am just not a semi-hollow guy. I find the top end (on this one anyway) a bit harsh and the tone doesn't seem to have much harmonic content. Maybe I am smoking something..... I have hung on to it for years now because it plays so well and feels great in my hands.

I put Wolfetone pups and swapped the bridge to an ABR-1 in my SG and it is now what I compare every guitar to. This is why I had the idea to try these same steps with the Heritage.

8. moggio

moggio Member

I had a similar experience with a Gibson 137 Custom. It came with 57 Classics that were just too hot, and lacking in clarity at higher volumes. After a few swaps I thought that maybe I wasn't into the semi hollow thing and as a last resort I tried some of Tom Short's Undercover Minis and haven't looked back since. Really clear, a bit less output and a high end to die for. Saved the guitar from the Classifieds..... ( For amps I am using a Germino Masonette, Lead 55LV, and Rockytop 45.)

9. DetroitBlues

DetroitBlues Member

57 Classics would be better IMHO. They are designed to be more like vintage, but honestly, I bet the neck sounds good with the Seth, I'd suggest another Seth in the Bridge.

10. johnny5

whoa, old thread. I have since put Wolfetone Dr. Vintage pups and ABR-1 bridge in the guitar. This has made a HUGE improvement. The guitar is so much more responsive and so much less congested it's really a significant change. I can't say enough about these Wolfetone pups, they are by far the best humbuckers I have played. Really a departure from SD stuff.

11. frquent flyer

frquent flyer Member

I replaced the HRWs with jason Lollar Imperials and I have never regretted the change.

12. vdoochild7

vdoochild7 Silver Supporting Member

I have FRALIN PURE PAFs in my Heritage Prospect that replaced the stock Duncan Seth Lovers. Huge improvement.

13. redshark1105

redshark1105 Member

For a H535 I will definitely agree with Fralin pure PAF.

14. Turbozag

Turbozag Senior Member

The Wolfes should be PERFECT for that guitar.
    I own a 535 and have both 57s and the Dr Vs in Les Pauls.

15. DaveSemach

DaveSemach Member

I have a Heritage 535 as well.

For about 6 months, I had Dr Vintage pickups in there. They were very very good.

I did switch recently to Fralin Unbuckers. With the 535 being my main axe, I wanted more versatility with a good coil tap. I like the sound of the Unbuckers just a bit better. Still trying to nail the setup though. not quire right yet.

I did a few contracts on Cruise ships playing in the 'orchestra' (show band). You can only really take one guitar, and you're stuck with it for months for all shows. So I've got a complex now about needing one guitar that is very versatile.
    At this point, if I took another contract, I'd either take my 535 with the coil taps, or a tele with a HB in the neck pos for the jazzier stuff.

16. Patrick2

Patrick2 Member

YEP!! That's what to do. However, remember that each of those pups come in neck and bridge spec. Put an ohm meter on them. The '59 should be the hotter of the 2. If so . . . definitely reverse them. A 'Duncan '59 in the bridge position of an H535 should please anyone . . . and it just doesn't get any better than a Seth Lover in the neck position on an H535.

Did you buy the guitar new? I've never seen Ren or Charlie do that at the factory. Either it was ordered special with the current set up . . . or the previous owner switched them around . . . or ol' Charlie was hung over when he assembled that guitar:eek: . . (I keed . . I keed):D

17. hardys

hardys Member

Well, if you can get your hands on a 335, that will give you a pretty good idea of what your 535 will sound like with 57's in it, since both guitars are so similar.

I've had both 57's and Dr. Vintage in different guitars. For a basic description between their sounds without using too many flowery adjectives... 57's will be hotter and thicker/fatter sounding with a slightly harsher top end. Dr. Vintage will sound less full in the mids and bass and more open with some additional brightness. They sound closer to the old, lower output PAFs than the 57 Classics.