Heritage 535

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Gi-gi-giggity, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

Playing one today through an older Fender amp (I have a thread going on the amp too) and it's killin! Guy is asking $950....it's mint, Cherry Red w/hardshell case.
    I really don't need it, any reason why I shouldn't anyway?

2. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

Years from now you won't remember the $950 which these days doesn't last long but you could have a sweet semi-hollow guitar that would last a lifetime. Go for it!

3. rbisherw

rbisherw Guest

Agreed, $950 is a good price (provided the guitar is in nice shape with no issues) for a US made ES335 copy.

4. samdjr74

samdjr74 Supporting Member

My 535 is killer, I'll never regret that purchase and I'll never sell her. What pups does it have?

5. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

The guitar is dead mint with an 'upgraded' pickguard of some kind. I think the PUs are Schaller...I've yet to pull them.
    It has old/crusty 11's on it and still plays like a dream.

I just played it through my two rigs and it's bad ass. I could totally see keeping this thing for a lifetime if I buy it.

6. samdjr74

samdjr74 Supporting Member

I got the HRW's on mine, killer pick ups!!!! I just wish I could buy those for some of my other guitars

7. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I love my 535 Classic (with Seth Lovers). It really comes alive through a cranked amp.

$950 seems to be about the going rate for used 535s, so if it speaks to you, grab it and make some music.

Bryan

Here's mine:

[​IMG]

8. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    none whatsoever. even if you have to ask. ;)
    new strings'll make it sound like $1000000. try Pyramids. new p'ups'll make it sound like $10000000. Seths or HRWs will slay.

enjoy
    :cool:

9. go7

go7 Member

Sounds like you`ve already talked yourself into it. $950 is not severe coin for the amount of enjoyment the 535 can give you. ENJOY!!

10. dudeunitx5000

dudeunitx5000 Senior Member

The Heritage is technically not a copy. It was made in the same Kalamazoo factory that produced the ES-335s of yore.
    I have two Heritage guitars- an H575 and an H137. That H137 is the finest TV yellow single P90 single cutaway guitar I have ever played. In fact I like it alot more than a 50s Les Paul Junior.

11. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

They are incredible pickups! I live 2 hours from the factory and go visit once in a while. Ren Wall, who invented the HRW version of humbuckers says that they use all they get in their guitars. I have the double VIP in my Prospect and love it. Here I am an old fat balding guy enjoying the hell out of turning 60 and playing my Prospect, H-137 and Sweet 16.

$950 is a steal for a 535.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. rbisherw

rbisherw Guest

The 535 is a "copy".
    Albeit a nice one, but still a copy as The Heritage Guitar Company essentially took the design of the Gibson ES335 and "copied it".

Here we go again - Heritages are nice guitars, but they are not Gibsons (to many folks this is a good thing).

Enjoy your Heritages.

13. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Yep a real good thing. But it kind of makes you want to wonder if the copiers were also some of the originals.

Heritage has four owners; one worked for Gibson from 1958 to 1969 (a golden era), went to Guild in Westerly from 1969 to 1974 (a guild Golden era) back to Gibson then Heritage; the next one worked for Gibson from 1956 until they left then helped start Heritage; the third started at Gibson in 1957 and continues at Heritage; the last and short timer started at Gibson in 1974 and continues with Heritage.

The man that did the original gold top finishes still does them for Heritage. Ren Wall who's been at Heritage since the beginning and was at Gibson since 1958 invented the HRW pickups offered by Heritage. In addition he invented a dozen or so Gibson innovations as he followed his father who worked at Gibson for 37 years.

So no flak from me, we all can choose our own instruments, but in the case of Heritage, the name really means something. :D

14. tommyg

tommyg Member

BRAVO Flyin' Bryan!!! I couldn't have said it better myself!To us Heritage players - these guitars ARE the real deal because of the heritage behind them......Made at 225 Parsons St....made by the same guys who made the classic Gibson's we all love...hot damn! Is it NOT a Gibson at heart!?!?

15. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

School me please...what are the HRW pups?

16. 1kidc

1kidc Member

Giggity - buy the damn thing dude! If you end up not bonding w/ it SELL IT TO MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

17. hawkeyeinexile

and one of the owners mentioned by Brian is the guy who eventually became the plant manager @ Kalamazoo, managed the move to Nashville, then hung back with the others to buy the main bldg (225) and the tools and the dyes and keep the heritage going. when i bought my first new guitar (a '68-'69 LP Custom), he was there. when i bought my second (a '71 LP Deluxe), he was there and was the guy who figured out the mini-hums would work just fine in a burst bod that used to house the P90s. not to mention the early '60's EB-0 i got in '67 and still have.

and he was there when they made my '89 HFT-445 (flat top), '00 Millenium Ltd. Ed., '01 Little One, '02 Millenium DC.

when Jim got his start sanding rims (of the '58 LPs?), Henry J. was 5 yrs old. :eek: call up Heritage and he's likely to be the guy who answers the phone. go to NAMM and he's likely to be one of the guys there to answer your questions.

"true facts": i was stoked when i got my first Heritage (the Millie L.E.) and eventually called Heritage about it. Jim answered & i asked if he had any plans on doing a double cut version. he said he was holding it as we talked. getting it ready for Winter NAMM in a few months. with the early HRW pickups. a few months after NAMM i called Jay Wolfe & asked about the DCs and he had that guitar. "do you take Visa?"...i got a letter from Bill Paige authenticating it, too :D

[​IMG]

18. hawkeyeinexile

Heritage Rendal Wall. Ren designed them. i asked Deurloo @ Winter NAMM '03 what was the diff between them & Schaller Golden 50s & he said, "i could tell you...but then i'd have to kill you" :eek: ... they're a humbucker with exceptional power and clarity. BrewBeck calls my Millie DC "the Screamer". told me recently it's "his favorite non-Chapin guitar". :AOK

19. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

HRWs are the Heritage pickups designed by H. Rendal Wall the guy mentioned earlier. They put them on their high end models and are available on anything. I chose them for my Prospect after hearing Henry Johnson playing his personalized model in Chicago. They work very well with pedals and are crystalline when played clean. Every note is clear and defined.

20. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

Ok, so how do I know which pups are in this axe once I pull them out. Are they labeled as such?
    The do sound quite good from the little that I've heard them through an amp...they just need to be height adjusted for better balance right now IMO.