Heritage amps................

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by OldSchool, Nov 24, 2005.

1. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Just for SH*ts and grins................if you could have any 1 Heritage amp.............which would it be?

For allman type tones the Colonial seems to be the obvious choice.............but is it too loud? I loved my Germino 55 LoVo.........but needed to sell it for that very reason.

The Briton sounds amazing but only comes in a combo.........but it has that beautiful mistake mist (reverb) I love.

The Briton II has the edge on them all so far to me. The 2 channels and the head w Celestian blues sounds almost too good to pass up.

The Patriot.................. Can this be the jack of all trades in the line?

Which would you choose if you could only have 1? Which HAVE you already choose?
    BTW..........I'm going to Wolfe guitars this weekend to make a final descion..........any and all thoughts would be welcomed.

2. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I just spoke about them with Paul Shine of Chuck Levin's yesterday. He likes them. I understand they are a bit high prices. I'm leaning Soldano Avenger or Mesa Rectoverb combo. I know one thing, my marshall cab with 4 80 watt black back celestions is way to clean for my taste. Good luck with the heritege. What is this shop you are going to?

3. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    just by happenstance, and after talking to Graham @ Wolfe's, i picked up a Briton II rig and a Colonial rig over the past week and a half. i also played the Victory and heard the Patriot, have not heard the Briton combo, so here's my take.

Colonial - definitely Allmans there on tap (we've done a bunch of ABB tunes), but non-MV, so will be loud as your LoVo was. but it has very strong and sweet sustain at low volume and really comes on @ 1/3-1/2 volume. you'll probably hear that @ Wolfe's. (mine came w/EL34s)

Briton II - Ch2 (very HW Marshall 18w sound) and w/Master Vol, so that might get you where you want to be for lower-volume playing. the Blues kill, mine are just opening up now and i'm told to be patient as they can take quite a while to reach their optimum sweetness.

'course Duane (or Dickey, too?), used 4x12s with JBLs and the backs pulled off the cab, and played cranked, usually in larger venues, so that's an issue for us trying to approach their sound in small rooms. either Colonial or Briton II will take pedals well. i've tried V-stack Classic & Tweedy and Menatone Workingman's Blue (designed for Plexi/JTM sounds) for ABB tones and get them great @ lower volume settings.

Patriot - not really an ABB sound to my ear - more like my favorite BF Fender sound (i only heard it in the store when volume was 1/4 or lower and the guys playing it were using light touch. harmonic content was still rich as can be). i prefer this amp to any BF amp i've owned, played, or heard.

the real fun with these amps (or any, esp. my Juke 1210) is using them to forge an individual sound. i'm gonna talk to d-o-c today about attenuators and try that w/these rigs.

upshot: right now i'm inclined to guess Brit II for you based on what you've spec'd so far. for me, i'm gonna try like heck to hang on to both these rigs :D

hey, OS, do me a favor, wouldya?: if you get a chance, check out the black H157 w/EMG black-covered p'ups and tell me what it feels (neck profile) and sounds like? it's this one -> #29002

4. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

http://www.wolfeguitars.com/index.htm

They are supposed to be such a big Heritage dealer that he had his own amp commissioned.

I'm kinda stuck between the Brition II , The Colonial, or the Patriot .

I have a feeling the BritonII with a Celestion blues bottom will win my heart . :dude

5. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Thanks so much..............very helpful review ! I'm thinking the Briton myself as time goes on...........but if that colonial sounds really great at 1/2 volume I might just go for it.........

I will most definitely seek out that black beauty and give you a full review. Thanks again...........

6. hawkeyeinexile

btw, the guitars i used to get that sustain were a Heritage Millenium Ltd Ed w/Seth Lovers and a Millenium DC w/HRWs. my Chapins use lower-output p'ups & will require more crankage :dude

enjoy, bud,
    :cool:

7. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

I've got a Victory and a lobo, and am thinking hard about a Colonial.
    The lobo is the amp jay wolfe has made only for him.... more midrangey than the Victory, and less versatile, though it has a real nice bluesy thing going when cranked. Also a smaller package. I suspect a speaker change from the Eminence legend would help it's sound.
    If you like Deluxe Reverbs, you'll probably love the Victory. It's sort of a hard amp not to like, if not love.
    High priced? NO, not compared to what you get. I would actually say that they are lower priced than some other amps out there that do the same thing. The list prices are discounted at the store. Wolfe's has a good discount.

8. hawkeyeinexile

Jay is advertising the Lobo @ $1250, so if it's anywhere close to the Victory in sound, that's a steal IMHO. the Victory sounds huge, partly i figger due to the size & construction of its cab. if i didn't have a Juke 1210 already, there'd be a Victory here, too.

for those of you in the San Jose area C. B. Perkins is offering the entire range at good discounts, too. and Wolfe Guitars is always highly recommended in my book.

9. 57special

Hawk,
    I got the victory thinking it would supplant the Lobo, and it sort of does, with the dual 6V6 , reverb, single 12, no gain channel thing going on, but I'm having a hard time letting the Lobo go. I'd say the Victory has a better clean sound, and is overall a better amp, but the Lobo has a bit more gain that sounds really good when you crank it with a LP Special or 335. Just a really sweet Tweed meets Brown grind.
    I don't live ANYWHERE near a store carrying Heritage amps, so i'm having to rely on opinions. Everyone i know (including Paul C., that braggart) is talking up the Colonial, and i think i have an idea what it might be like, but do you have any more insight as to what the Briton II sounds like? Does it compare to an AC30? 65 London? 18 watt marshall ?

10. hawkeyeinexile

the Colonial is justifiably talk-upable, but the Briton II - well, i mean:

ch 1 is very Vox-y, ch 2 is very 18w Marshall and the controls allow you to blend the two. the tone & vol controls give the vox a kind of tweedy grind and the extra oomph give ch2 a SuperBaby (lead&bass) gitty-up you won't find in a 15-18w amp, especially if you use low-output single-coil p'ups.

note also, i haven't tried it with any cabs other than the one that came w/it, too, so that's another variable i'll be exploring. BrewBeck has vintage Marshall cabs nearby :D

d-o-c has a 65 London and we'll be A/B'ing with other EL84 amps here sometime soon-as-we-can with more compares & contrasts (i like the London a lot).

digression: my Colonial came w/EL34s & i'll be installing some GT KT66-HPs soon to try other voicings built-in. point is: whole different beast. and it is a beast. 'specially with humbuckers like Heritage's HRWs :eek:

11. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

The only amp Wolf didn't have is a briton II. :( I tried the Briton and it was sweet.............but the Patriot was just more my speed. Awesome amp. The Colonial was quite different.........just an incredible amp. I can't say enough about the design. The Punch /Sag switch with the 2 UK/US switches.............Paul C is a genius. I really have to have BOTH now. I really think these will be the last 2 amps I will ever need.

I want to give a shout out about Wolf guitars in Jupiter Florida. I was treated like royality and TOLD to crank it up. Great place I felt very comfortable testing everything. Those guys are the bomb. :AOK

12. hawkeyeinexile

OS, sounds great <so to speak> - what kind of guitar(s) did you use?

57special, Jay ships guitars on 48hr approval, maybe he'll do the same for a Brit head or something...

13. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I used a G&L tele they had hanging on the wall and I had my pick of the largest collection of Heritage guitars in the world ! I had no idea Wolfs was so large and their inventory so big. They really need to update their website. Those HRW pick ups smoke. :AOK

Teles are my thing..........but I might get a Heritage 335 one day. Very sweet guitars..............

14. 57special

Yeah, he'll do 48 hrs approval on Heritage amps, cash back - shipping which is fair. Didn't realize he had a Colonial there. Damn, now i want to hear a patriot!. I'm just not crazy about a 2x12 combo amp at this time.

15. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

The Patriot was Kick ass. Even with the EL34's it had a very American flavor......It reminded me of a 57 Twin with more bottom and Lush 3D reverb. Perfect for recording and small clubs. The 2x12 really open it up. I kept plugging back and forth and finally realized.........I needed both. :rolleyes:

16. gregory70

gregory70 Supporting Member

I have both a Patriot and a Victory. The Patriot reminds me of the best Super Reverb tones I have ever heard. Lush cleans, great verb, and it absolutely ROCKS when it is cranked. I've played with el34's and it is even more of a rock and roll amp with the el34's, but I prefer the 6l6s. I used a Timmy and an Eternity to cover all my sonic needs.

The Victory is a little harder to categorize... I originally thought of it as a fantastic DR clone, but PaulC says it really wasn't developed with that sonic goal. It is not really a little brother to the Patriot - it covers some of the same territory (great cleans, great verb, a little harder to get breakup) but it is a different sounding amp.

I have played the Colonial and think it is awesome - I mean it absolutely sings - it's just bigger than I really need. If it were a 1x12, I'd probably buy it too.

Ax-In-Hand in DeKalb, IL carries the Heritage line and they are great to work with. I would be willing to talk to anybody who would like about these amps - I am a huge fan. Just PM me.

17. Beam Tetrode

Beam Tetrode Member

FYI:

JV Music (540 955 5545) in Berryville, VA is a big Heritage dealer. Last time I was in the shop, they had a 335, a black beauty style LP, a flame top LP, and a bunch of Heritage amps. I expect their pricing is better than Chuck Levins.

18. meterman

meterman Member

Dayummmmm!!!!! :eek: :eek: :dude

Congrats man! I really want to try Paul C's amps, and that BritonII seems killer. Wonder how it compares to the London 65? Paul's amps are the only ones that are testing my TopHat loyalty right now ;)

19. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I've been a dyed in the wool Bruno man for around 10 yrs. They are fantasic amps...........but kinda 1 trick ponies. I'm selling an oringinal Bruno Prototype now becuase the Colonial is really all the amp I need. It will take the place of several amps. Paul really got this one right. :AOK