Heritage amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Blacktsikos, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Blacktsikos

Blacktsikos Member

Anyone try Heritage amps?

2. carltonh

carltonh Member

I played two different models at the Dallas Guitar show. Can't remember specifics, but they had an interesting control panel separating pre and power amps. They were quite woody sounding, between blackface and tweed, closer to blackface with pretty good headroom. I liked the 6L6 1x12 combo with the Texas Heat speaker, and they had a more Marshallish EL34 version with closed back 2x12 that was great too, but also a bit more woody than most Marshalls.

3. ross

ross Silver Supporting Member

I believe Paulc of Tim pedal fame works for Heritage Amps, maybe he will ring in with some info.

4. Milkshake

Milkshake Guest

isn't Heritage the rebirth of Holland Amps?

5. ross

ross Silver Supporting Member

I do not think so.

6. Scott_F

Scott_F Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, I read that somewhere as well.

7. Blacktsikos

Blacktsikos Member

Thanks guys for your kind response on Heritage.
    From what I can derive, there do not seem to be many
    Heritage amps on the market yet!
    But what I could understand from the few valued responses,
    these amps appear to be great.
    Cheers.

Blacktsikos.

8. RedLizard

RedLizard Member

Heritage will deny any linkage with Holland, but you know the old saying....if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and looks like a duck...it must be a duck.

Replace 'duck' with 'Holland' and you have your answer.

BTW, I had a Holland Lil' Jimi for quite a while and it was a great amp, but I needed something smaller, so sold it off just a couple of weeks ago.

9. NBlair930

NBlair930 Supporting Member

I have absolutly ZERO inside information (so I could be wrong) but Lasar Music Corp (Lane Zastrow) was the distributor for the 2nd incarnation of Holland Amps -built by Mike Holland- and Lasar Music Corp is also the distributor of Heritage Guitars & now Heritage Amps -NOT built by Mike Holland.

So, they (Holland & Heritage) share the same distributor. No other relationship b/t the amp makers.

10. Dirge

Dirge Member

from their website

Heritage Amplifiers of Tennessee is a new guitar amplification company owned by Maclane Corporation Incorporated. The company was formed in January 2004 by Malcolm MacDonald and Lane Zastrow. Previously, Lane Zastrow was a partner in the L&M Corporation with Mike Holland, which built Holland Amplifiers. Lane decided to continue on his own with a new company, new design team, new products, and a new marketing strategy.

My question is what with Kenny Burrell and the Blue equipment? :)

11. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They look like ducks to me.

I love my Lil Jimi and will never part with it.

12. PaulC

PaulC Member

Nope - no ducks here! And Heritage WILL NOT deny any past with Holland. There is a tie in - but it was on the biz side of things only. I'm the design guy for Heritage amps, and here's the REAL story behind the deal...

The owner of Heritage amps used to be a partner of Mike Hollands. They had a company called L&M (Lane and Mike). Mike made the amps, and Lane sold them. A little over a year ago that deal ended with the two guys going different ways. As far as I know Holland is still making amps. Lane wanted to keep going with a new line of amps, and formed a new company with another partner. The guys that worked with Mike stayed with Lane. The first few Heritage amps looked a bit like Hollands because that's how they knew to build things. They were using the same cab shops and such. I was brought on as the design guy back in May of 2004. Since then we've changed everything about the company. The amps are not reworked Hollands, but circuits I've been putzing around with for years. We've got some monster guitar players working here, and everybody has an input into the amps (but I am the most headstrong about it to be honest). Also we now have an in house cab maker that used to make cabs for Mojave/Carr/Barber etc... The new amps don't look or sound anything like Hollands. That picture of the Heritage amp shown is one of the old amps made before I came on and changed everything up . The new amps don't look like that, and the circuits are very different.

The tie in with Holland was on the biz side of things. That ended, and this is something new. Nothing underhanded about any of this. It's just about two guys ending a deal, and both going on with something else. The Heritage amps are about as far removed as you can get from Hollands and still have tubes in them!!

the Kenny Burrell amp is the same in name only. The new model is a totally different circuit and cab made for him. Holland made a model for him before, but Kenny decided to go with Heritage after the split, and we made him a new signature model. It's blue because that's what he wanted!!

I'll stop now before it gets to look like spam.

PaulC

13. Dirge

Dirge Member

Hey Paul,

Nice to meet you and good luck with the amps!

I was just joking about the Blue amp, I think it looks pretty cool, actually they all look pretty cool. The blue archtop that Kenny has, well it's just not my style. I did pick up a Heritage archtop this summer though :)

Oh and one suggestion, have the company buy heritageamp.com, heritageamps.com, heritageamplifier.com and point them to the same IP address. I don't know how many times I've typed heritageguitars.com and not had it come up because I added an s.
    :BITCH :BITCH :BITCH

14. JLeurck

JLeurck Member

GULP! Makes me wonder how in the world I'd ever get a hold of Mike Holland if I ever need my amp worked on (or at least get a schematic so I can get work done locally). The Holland Amp website is gone.

15. straycat23

straycat23 Member

Mike Holland was notorious for not giving out schematics.

16. telest

telest Member

I'm sure the amp is nice, but I hope you guys did away with the cheezy metal name plate. ;) (See previous pic). Just an opinion.

Steve

17. boogie_01

boogie_01 Member

Yes and No... Holland (forgot his first name) no longer works there. They have retooled the company and the amp circuits for the better. The amps are designed by Paul Cochrane - creator of the Tim Pedal..Check out the Heritage Colonial for all you Tweed Bassman /JTM45 fans, it is quite a versatile and cool sounding amp. :dude

18. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Just got a Victory 1x12. Lots of high end clarity, sorta hi-fi-ish. And a nice 'scooped mids' Fender sort of sound to it. Pleny of punch with JJ 6V6's in it. A clean amp that works well with pedals. Beautiful build quality and tasteful aesthetics.

19. Ric4001

Ric4001 Member

I have a Heritage Colonial and love it. It will take el34s or 6l6s. It has a switch to run on a tube rectifier or solid state rectifier. It has tone shift switches to go from Fender style preamp voicings to Marshall voicings. It's extremely versatile and sounds fantastic. It also works very well with a Hotplate -- produces a nice creamy distortion with none of the fizz that some of my other amps produce through the hotplate.

20. trisonic

trisonic Member

I get this terrible deja vu sensation when 2 year old threads get resurrected with "facts" that have been discussed before but later than the thread date, ad nauseum.....

There, now carry one......I need a Victory head, I think!

Best, Pete.