Heritage and tuning problems

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by kenoflife, May 21, 2011.

1. kenoflife

kenoflife Supporting Member

I do pretty well with my tele - except maybe in severe direct sun.
    But my Heritage 535 can really lose it, was very frustrating today
    in just a little bit of weather.
    is it the tuners? Not sure what they are, its stock.
    Or is it the nature of a hollowbody???

K

2. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

How well is the nut cut & how stable is the neck itself?
    Do you get pinging on the nut when you tune or detune?

3. kenoflife

not sure - had it all setup by a pro tech 3 years ago...probably I'll bring it in to him again next week...

4. XKnight

XKnight Member

I take it your playing outdoors and it sounds like the neck is prone to movement due to the weather. Some necks are more stable than others, but humidity and temperature changes will get to many of them.

5. duaneallen

duaneallen Member

There was a long thread about this recently. Change the nut, and have a higher quality, properly cut nut installed. That's what I do on ALL of my Heritage and Gibson guitars. Fixes the problem every time!

6. kenoflife

thanks -I'll look into that- a lot easier than a neck problem!

7. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

Three years ago? Are you serious? You need to have a guitar like that tweaked regularly. Like every six to twelve months.

8. kenoflife

I'm lazy - but its always had this problem outdoors, even then.
    Such a great guitar otherwise.

Used to the tele - doesn't need much attention when good...

9. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

It could be the weather that's contributing to the issue, but you need to get it in for adjustment.

Teles are indestructible. Your Heritage is a more sensitive deal.

10. Full Monty

Full Monty Member

That surely depends on how much maintenance skill the owner has. There are guitars in my collection that haven't been to a tech in a quarter of a century but still play well because I know a few things about guitars.

11. tbonesullivan

tbonesullivan Member

from what I've seen, most tuning problems result from binding at the nut, or possibly the bridge. Also as people have said, humidity affects some guitars more than others. Its just the nature of the wood. you might want to get some graphite or teflon lubricant for the nut. that can really help with tuning stability if you bend a lot or use a tremolo.

12. kenoflife

got a new nut on today - funny I thought I'd already done that - but apparantly I've been getting by on the original Heritage plastic. Tech said the original wasn't really cut right!
    Put new Snake oil strings on it - acoustically its miles better - can't wait to play and see if its more stable.

13. redshark1105

redshark1105 Member

I never had any tuning problems with my 535. What I noticed is that most of my friends that play guitar, some of them really good don't know how to string a guitar correctly and therefore have tuning problems. Once I showed them how to do it they don't have tuning problems anymore.

:hide

14. kenoflife

strung by pros (Dan Erlewhine tx?) - and by myself using Dean Farley's (SOB) technique -
    that wasn't the issue with this one - nor my other guitars.
    hopefully it'll be good now!

15. memiller

memiller Member

Wow. Just wow. And you wonder why you have problems.

Do you graphite the nut when you change strings? Do you even change your own strings? Have you checked the bridge for wear?

Do you understand that going outside with a friggin' SEMI HOLLOW guitar might incur the wrath of... you know... TEMPERATURE CHANGE? Of course it doesn't bother your Tele. Teles are solid slabs of wood with another solid slab bolted to it. 335 style guitars, center block and all, act like any other hollow guitar with a thin top. To a lesser extent than a full hollow, obviously, but still...

Learn to set your gear up. Tuning problems are user error. End of story.

16. kenoflife

jeez -
    chill out.

I just said that it needed a new nut, and I got that, and maybe it'll be better now.

I am learning to set things up - as we all learn - that's why I posted something - and now I found a likely culprit.

I change my strings, the bridge is fine - and I don't graphite the nut when I change it. Not perfect enough for ya?

I'm going dancing now, SEE YA!

17. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Not picking on ya, but there's a HUGE difference between a solid body bolt on with a maple neck and a semi hollow with a mahogany neck. But it's cool...you're getting the idea by having the nut done and having it set up. Outside gigs are brutal, especially if your guitar is in a cool, dry air conditioned house and then brought out into the heat and humidity. It takes several hours for a guitar to settle down from a change like that.

18. Joe L

Joe L Supporting Member

The season change plays a big part in periodic tuning issues. I live in the North East and when we go from the dry winter into increase in humidity in the spring (visa versa summer into winter) all of my guitars need slight neck adjustments as well as tuning. My Heritage H555 has a wide (fretboard) but thinner neck ( back of neck to fretboard) which is prone to more neck movement and truss rod tweaking) .Once we are into the season this stops as the wood stabilizes. That's my experience to share.

19. wes37

wes37 Supporting Member

The peghead pitch can be a culprit...pull each string up out of the nut a little to allow the tension on both sides of the nut to adjust. If the nut is cut right, this solves most tuning issues.

20. jjkuz

jjkuz Member

I am sure most of you guys have been to many outdoor concerts. See that guitar tech guy running to grab the guitar after every song...., well he isn't just admiring it behind stage. It has become the fad to have guitars tuned after every song, I think it is overkill myself. But the point is that even with professional setup guitars, touring acts tune their guitars VERY often. Bottom line is that tuning issues can be a problem with many types of guitars outside.