Heritage Briton II in the house (thanks, PaulC!)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hawkeyeinexile, Nov 15, 2005.

1. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    Just got it home. it was tough - i had to decide between the Colonial (which is definitely me) and the Briton II. this time i went back, got a studio room, and turned 'em both up some. the Brit was just so exotic & new to me

i just had to have it. got a great deal from C.B. Perkins and now i'm contemplating the next one (Colonial).

more to come, gotta run,
    :cool:

2. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Nice score Jeff!!

What went out the door?

3. hawkeyeinexile

my old Les Paul Deluxe. bought it new in '72,
    but haven't played it much for, like, a *long*
    time, 'til recently when i've been using it just
    for rehearsals, to make sure it's sellworthy.

(now, where'd i put that ABY switch box i got from Stevo...:D)

4. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

You did good, Jeff - that amp is world class! A real keeper. Can't wait to borrow it! :p

5. Stringmaster

Stringmaster Gold Supporting Member

Please provide us with a full review and pics when you can break away from it for a while!

6. 58gasman

58gasman Member

Jeff, I know where you live;)

Congrats-- I've really been impressed with the heritage amp line.
    Can't wait to hear it some time.

Regards,
    Craig

7. hawkeyeinexile

David, you've got mail

String, it's a beaut & will do. sadly, i'm called away this week soon, so break-in (no, Craig, not that kind of breakin;)) & full unveiling'll have bide a few days. it's got two channels, switchable, 2nd can act as an effects loop, too, so lots of fun to be had.

Craig, you know you're welcome over here anytime, so give me a call. also, will try to arrange a get-together w/Brew & run through his vintage Marshall cabs.

the Heritage guys do real nice cab work. the speaker cab is half-back, 16ohm, 2 Celestion blues. i guess those are pretty efficient, low-power speakers. looking forward to hearing them bloom. hey, d-o-c, run that POG through this rig, willya?

8. 58gasman

58gasman Member

Jeff,
    Thanks for invite.. I will definitely give you a call soon. I need to catch one of your gigs too.

Best,
    Craig

9. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

Jeff -

I also have a Briton II head and the same cab. That thing is SO SO nice. So nice infact that I sold off a 64 JMI AC-30 ( a REALLY NICE ONE !! ). I felt that the Briton did everything my old JMI was doing - and THEN SOME

Its the first boutique amp I've had that feels "old" to me - in a good way

Also, thanks to the FX loop's return vol and tone ( based after an 18 watter's pre section ) - I sold my 18 watt Marshall clone. Also very good - but the Briton did it just as well - but with more muscle

Jeff , if ya get a chance, play w/ some good NOS preamp tubes. I really like mine stock straight from Heritage - but the Mullards and Telefukens took it OVER THE TOP !!!:dude

10. hawkeyeinexile

Dano, yeah, i know - your post on the JMI helped pushed me over the top. another nudge, d-o-c telling me, "Turn back and get it!"

and Brew & d-o-c have some NOS preamp tubes, too, so...

question (PaulC, you there?): since the cab takes 30w nominal (i'm sure that's conservative), how do boosts & OD gadgets and resulting loudness affect the speakers? i have
    • Pharaoh Amps Class A Boost
    • V-Stack Classic
    • V-Stack Tweedy
    • Menatone Workingman's Blue
    now, back to loosening up those speakers :D

11. hawkeyeinexile

so i'm playing around and looking around and think, hmmm-how-bout-if-i-connect-the-send-to-the-return-i-wonder (it's not documented). just cuz i can ;)

called Heritage Amps up and talked to Lane Zastrow and Val Lupescu. Val says, yeah, they actually did that @ NAMM and it was pretty cool, although it's not tuned for that use, and it won't hurt anything.

okay, so i did.
    -turned vols and rear panel level knob down
    -connected short George L instrument cable to the two jacks in back
    -turned Master up to 1/2, Ch 2 Tone and Volume up 3/4

and as i ramped up Ch 1 Volume and rear Level controls i got this really neat gain-y distortion. hey, an extra gain stage @ no extra charge :dude - works great with Master down and other vol & level controls way up for your bedroom metal sessions :eek:

other things i asked about and learned
    - FX loop is now parallel only, online docs supersede printed owner's manual that comes with the rig
    - using my boosts and ODs won't hurt the speakers (it's a 30w cab and those Celestion Blue AlNiCos are premium)

other stuff: i'm hearing Tweed, Vox, and 18w Marshall sounds here. but there's something in there (kinda like Chapin Guitars) that's unique and adds to it all.

"play on"

12. Stringmaster

Stringmaster Gold Supporting Member

Cool stuff! How about Briton vs Briton II? Obviously the Briton has verb, and the Briton II has a master and the two channels, but is the first channel on the Briton II the same as the Briton channel? Did anyone have a chance to A/B the two models, and why did you choose the one you did? Are both channels of the II usable as a "channel switching" amp, or is it better served just going for one sound at a time? That is, are the two channels so radically different that they wouldn't make for a cohesive sound on a gig when switching, or could you dial in similar, but slightly different sounds out of the two? I never cared for 2 channel amps that had radically different voicings.
    Thanks

13. DANOCASTER

Stringmaster -

Briton is a combo w/ verb , Briton II is a head w/ an FX loop ( same electronics ) . I initially had a combo and eventually decided I would rather have a head / cab..when I had the changed, my exact chassis came back w/ a Briton II faceplate ( same thing - just not a combo anymore )

It works GREAT as a channel switching amp ( w/ an A/B box ) and they are voiced in a way that is TOTALLY complimentary. The "Vox" side can remain glassy and chimey while the other "18 watt" side can be louder , toothier , and a more grinding crunch sorta sound:dude

14. theHoss

theHoss Member

I spoke to Paul about this. I was thinking about the channel switching idea, and he said I could do that for sure. But I think he really sees the beauty in the ability to blend the two channels, and create some interesting textures and tones. I have a heritage liberty, and would totally love to get the Britton II, that is my next amp for sure. Its a year or so off, but my eyes are firmly on the prize, no questions asked....that is what I am saving for.

15. DANOCASTER

I agree - being a full-time producer / guitarist - I generally work in the studio so I have no NEED to do the channel switching. The ability to use the MUSCLE of the 18 watter and mix in some vox chime ( or add a little more girth /gain to a voxy jangle ) is where the REAL power lies in the Briton

16. trisonic

trisonic Member

Hawk, you old dog. I was just looking at those things the other day!
    Trust you'll enjoy and look forward to more reports.....

Best, Pete.

17. 57special

57special Member

Has anyone compared the Briton to the 65 London?

18. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

Congrats Jeff! But to sell such a sweet guitar as a '72 Les Paul Deluxe, ouch! The amp has to be cool!

19. hawkeyeinexile

Pete, that's what David said. <arf>

57, d-o-c has a London & we'll compare & contrast. also, Brew has a very special 4-EL84 amp we'll have in the mix.

Kelly, i rarely played it the past 10-15 yrs & the new owner really appreciates it - i like that. that little honey & i go back to 8/72 and MacMillan's Music (San Angelo, TX) told me they'd had it since the previous year, so...

and, yeah, i really think this amp rig is worth it :D

now, it's off to Oregon & when i get back: pix, more speaker break-in, working the ABY switch, A/B/C comparos & more

20. hawkeyeinexile

got back from Oregon Sunday night and got a chance to play the rig last night for a couple hours in rehearsal (but at <1/4 volume <rats!> (at least now i know it loves V-stack Classic and Tweedy)). anyway, here are some pix:

the whole rig w/a couple Heritage guitars:

[​IMG]

the tubes are JJs (power & rectifier) and TungSol (12AX7s). transformers appear to be Hammond.

more to come w/initial impressions, esp. as the speakers loosen up. it's getting increasingly sweeter already :D