Heritage Briton Owners Chime In

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Wagster, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Wagster

Wagster Member

I'm thinking about working out a deal for a Briton II head.If you guys don't mind sharing some info I would really appreciate it.Also if anyone has clips please feel free to post them.

Thanks,
    Billy

2. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    i love mine with most any speaker combination, but best with the 2x12 Blues cab i got with it. great crunch w/excellent master vol. beautiful chime. meaty ch. 2. FX loop roolz. a keeper, says i...there were some clips on the Heritage site by one of our own and it doesn't sound anything like the way i set it up, so a testament to the variety of tones within (i dig good clean headroom, too - master vol to the rescue again)

:cool:

3. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Hawkeye's Brit2 is one of my favorite of his dozens of amps. For whatever that's worth. Grit and chime and scream abound in there.

4. hawkeyeinexile

i'll have you know i'm down to 5 amps. okokok 6. and the (vintage) pignose doesn't count. or the stereo Smokey rig...

(good luck on your search, W.)

5. Wagster

Wagster Member

I'm heading to grab the amp on the way to my gig.Care to share some settings or tips?I'm getting a Rivera cab loaded with Blues in the deal.

6. hawkeyeinexile

i treat all amps kinda like a Rivera or a Juke: set everything at noon, tweak from there. for single-coils i think i flip the bright switch up, humbuckers switch down...something like that

try the FX loop-might-gain trick when you get home ;)

now, time to head home and play my Heritage Victory :YinYang

:D

(obtw, the Rivera cab is closed back? if so, try with back removed for the Blues)

:cool

7. gtrshow

gtrshow Member

I loved the Briton II I owned. For a while I had the Briton II, Victory and Colonial heads, and a Patriot combo. The Colonial established itself as my go to amp, and I scaled back to lesser (read cheaper) alternatives to fill in the gaps. Heritage make GREAT amps. If it's AC30/18W Marshall tones you're after, the Briton II delivers in spades.

8. Wagster

Wagster Member

I just got home from the gig.I think something might be wrong with my Briton II.I'm playing a relic tele and I have to turn the amp up to 2:30 before I start getting any breakup.Is this normal?I have the master all of the way up.I also had to run the treble at 3:00 to get any highs out of it.

9. hawkeyeinexile

maybe. breakup: is it loud? where are the channel volumes? describe the speaker cab and contents. speaker efficiency and pickup output are factors. are tone and volume on guitar full up?

bright: where are the channel tone controls set? channel 1 is vox ac30-like and has lots of brightness. where are the tone controls? channel 2 is marshall 18w-like and beefier, where is its tone control.

bright switch is global - what position is it in?

10. Wagster

Wagster Member

I have a Celestion Blue and a Scumbag pre rola G12H 75 copy running at 16ohms.I was using channel 1 only.I was playing a country gig last night for a tone reference.Here's how I had it set.

Bright Switch - Up position
    Master - Full
    Cut - Off
    Bass - 9:00
    Mids - 11:00
    Treble - 3:00
    Volume - 3:00

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  11. hawkeyeinexile

i'll haul out my t-style (Chapin T-bird) and try those settings & describe

12. Wagster

Wagster Member

Thanks Jeff!I'm starting to get a grip on this amp.The midrange is extremely versatile.At 9:00 is sounds like a tweed and around 11:00 it sounds voxy.It never gets muddy which it a beef with AC30's when cranked.While the Briton won't replace my AC30 it will get a lot of use.It's every bit as good and in a lot of ways better than my AC30.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  13. hawkeyeinexile

ok, so this Chapin is a 6lb alder-body t-style with a Seymour Vintage noise-canceling in the bridge and a Chapin Beelzebucker in the neck. the B-bucker is spittable to either a strat-style coil or a p90-style. so, i used your settings and it crunched pretty good when i hit it hard and would sustain quite a while. it could be real bright in the bridge position - i wouldn't want it any brighter. there is a big[/] diff with medium-to-high output humbuckers. pretty darn loud. but even with the T-bird, i wouldn't want to stand in front of it for too long when the Brit's cranked.

back to my favorite settings: bass: apx 10-11:00, mids: 3:00, treble: noon or a little less. sounds good to me and very like an AC30 non-Top Boost with the 2x12 Celestion Blues (Heritage Briton II cab). i generally play for good clean headroom, so Master is usually 3 o'clock or more and channel vols to taste or the room. ch 2 tone is usually full on.

hope that helps. if you want to hear some examples, give me a call & i'll bang out some over the phone, if that would help...

14. saurudi

saurudi Member

jeff,

ever tried out your briton with an ES - 335 ?
    just corious, i get the bets results when i completely roll down the mids and turn treble all the way up.
    so here are my settings :

master : 12 o´clock
    cut : all the way up
    bass : 10-11
    mid : all the way down
    treble : all up
    volume : 10-11

notice i only use channel 1 !Bright switch to taste but usually in the center position.

15. Wagster

Wagster Member

I got a lot of compliments on my tone last night.It looks like the Briton's gonna be a keeper.I like that it's not a ridiculously loud amp like some over built EL84 amps.I also love that fact that it's never harsh and shrill yet still has a nice solid treble.

Thanks for the help guys.

16. hawkeyeinexile

glad it'll work out for you - whatever it is. n.b.: if i had any questions about any of my stuff (Heritage amps, Tim, Timmy pedals), i'd just give PaulC a call. he'll tell you what's wrong, if anything, and how to fix and won't hesitate to talk tone & tastes and let you know if he thinks his stuff's for you or not & offer suggestions. great guy and wizardly to boot,

17. hawkeyeinexile

no 335, but i do have a Heritage Millennium DC w/HRWs (aka "the Screamer", but it has cleans galore), which serves for my semi-hollow/solid. the Millie's a brighter guitar, so this'll be interesting

thanks!

18. saurudi

saurudi Member

jeff,

another question, i heard a lot of rumour that heritage amps went out of buisness is that true ?

later,

mario

19. PaulC

PaulC Member

I can answer that - everybody that worked there quit to move on to other things. The owner wants to get things back up again, but for now he's been focusing on the reorganization of the guitar company that took place this past year.

Later, PaulC
    myspace.com/paulcaudio

20. Wagster

Wagster Member

Paul you did a great job with this amp bro :AOK