Heritage Colonial rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hawkeyeinexile, Nov 25, 2005.

1. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    just a short rave about my new new Heritage Colonial rig , which i picked up Wednesday from C.B. Perkins in San Jose .

there are some great recent owner observations in this thread here

note the raves from August's Florida Tonefest in this thread here

i've never owned a '59 Bassman, a JTM-45, a Bass Plexi, or a Plexi Super Lead, but now i believe i know what it's like :D. and with add'l tone-shaping options and cab configuations, i'll have access to unique voicings in there, too.

the cab is closed back and comes with Celestion Heritage V30 and Heritage G12H30. one reviewer says it gets the massive lows of a 100w Marshall in a 50w package. well, i'm a believer :eek:. comes w/winged C EL34s.

a great, great amp :AOK

to really access the '59 Bassman and JTM-45 sounds, looks like i should try some 6L6-type tubes. just happen to have a pair of GT-KT66-HPs here (#6), mustn't tarry...

:cool:

2. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Holy ****! The guys at wolfs guitars couldn't have been nicer. All the Heritage line amps KILLED! The Colonial was just exceptional. Its a loud amp..............but it can be played at 1/2 volume with plenty of punch. The control Layout is a work of art. Paul C should really be proud. If there was an academy award for amp design he would get it hands down. Incredible amp. I have to own one..............The Patriot really kicked my ass as well. Beautiful Lush 3D reverb ...........they have some really Killer amp designs and these babies are NOT an arm and a leg either.

Hey I checked out that Black beauty Heritage with the EMG's for you. Very nice guitar. He had it in the back on the wall.........He was talking to someone about it (you maybe?) while I was there. The neck is very chunky...........not slim at all. Very close to LP standard neck ..........maybe a hair over. I didn't plug it in becuase like I said he had it in the back..........but it was cool. :AOK

3. hawkeyeinexile

and it sounds very rich @ lower levels, too. great that Wolfe's would let you turn it up.

no, probably someone else. Graham told me you'd left when i called. thanks for the neck report. i really need :rolleyes: a dual hum solidbody but i guess it'll have to wait til i sell something else .

meanwhile, back to what i got :dude

4. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

OldSchool -

TONY C should be proud ??? WHO's Tony ??:rolleyes:

5. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Oh **** :jo .........My bad. I guess I still have Tony Bruno on the brain..........:p Its Corrected and my apoligies to Paul.

6. hawkeyeinexile

BrewBeck came over for a try & approved. heartily. seems the JTM45 sounds are just fine w/stock EL34s (i misread manual & misreported in posting above). but we got to thinking about preamp tube swaps.

Val @ Heritage sez this:

>> Colonial:
    >>
    >> V1 - input stage
    >> V2 - cathode follower
    >> V3 - Phase inverter

this is rear view, left to right, PI is the one closest to power tubes. the stock preamp tubes sound great, it's just that we can't help ourselves :D and Greg has this Tube Trove that must be accessed...

btw, i'm getting great responses and responsiveness from these guys via e-mail.

7. hawkeyeinexile

just to confirm & since i have both the Colonial & Briton II cabs:

to run both cabs, connect the 2 16-ohm cabs to the two 8-ohm speaker outs for an 8-ohm parallel load. this oughta be sumpin' :hiP ...

next question: how 'bout if i add an 8-ohm 4x10 cab to the basic 16-ohm rig...?

8. evhtone

evhtone Member

I am gassing for this amp big time!!

9. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

what is the price of the Briton head or the colonila head? Also does anyone sell these online? :)

10. theHoss

theHoss Member

They have one instock right now, and the flame on the wood face plate is sick. You can call and ask for Gary. He is a good guy, and the shop is as good as it gets.

Colonial OnLine

11. theHoss

theHoss Member

I think the price is in the 1900ish range? For the head and cab

12. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

What is the price range for the Colonial? I have gotten some really good feedback on that amp from other folks too. I'd love to check one out someday!

13. theHoss

theHoss Member

At guitarx, you can get the head and cab for 1900ish?

GuitarX

Click on amps, then heritage, etc....

They have one in their right now, (they can't keep them in stock). Two have come in and sold the same day. I am waiting for a britton II

14. hawkeyeinexile

C.B. Perkins in San Jose had (what became) mine for sale @ $1895.

on KT66's: word from PaulC is if you want to run KT66s, then you want to mismatch the speaker load, so, plug the 16ohm cab into an 8-ohm output.

(he's looking into the use of EL37's, now, too ;))

15. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Thanks guys, I am checking on it now.

16. hawkeyeinexile

just played on the Colonial w/both its cab and the Briton II cab (2 Celestion Alnico Blues) for half an hour :eek:

all i can say is where's my rosary beads when i need 'em :angel ?

17. hawkeyeinexile

peering behind the screenage i espy two portholes in the baffleboard. which explains similarities in bass handling to my old ZBest cab, which was Thiele-Small-aligned.

man that MOOD knob is the swellest. i'm fiddling around with preamp voicing switches and tone controls. turning bass to 1/4, mids up, treble 1/2, MOOD just about anywhere, so forth, & getting great PUNCH-y sustain & cleanup & stuff out of my Heritage Millenium DC w/HRW p'ups. getting a nice piano-y sound w/the coils tapped.

18. Kidcactus

Kidcactus Supporting Member

I just ordered matching cab to go with the Colonial head that I ordered 2 days ago. Jay Wolfe at Wolf Guitars had 2 more Colonial heads after I ordered mine. Even shipping from Florida to Arizona, his prices are less than anything I've seen mentioned.

19. hawkeyeinexile

installed GT KT66-HPs, biased around 32-33mv, used Colonial cab @ 8 ohms (PaulC's info) instead of nominal 16 ohms for the cab. less chime, slightly less headroom, more beef. need to twiddle more w/MOOD, PRESENCE, tone-shaping switches... :D but have a gig playing bass later on today :jo

wrote Heritage about using THD Yellow Jackets in it.

update, paraphrasing response from Val @ Heritage re Yellow Jackets: okay, long as the YJ's can take 470v @ the plates. so i called THD and they say the "standard" ones (i have YJSDs, which fit the description) will take 520v. so, i ran the Colonial on two YJSDs, got expected chime. even sounded somewhat like the Briton II. sometime today or so i'll try running the Colonial w/YJs through the Briton II cab (Cele Blues!), since it'll only be putting out way less than the 30w that cab can take. :D

20. hawkeyeinexile

Correction: previous post on yellow jackets should have said "470v", not "400v" - i fat-fingered it :( and corrected it.