Heritage Colonial speaker cab????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Kidcactus, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Kidcactus

Kidcactus Supporting Member

I just ordered a Heritage Colonial after the reviews here on TGP, and a description by a trusted dealer (Jay Wolfe). The clincher was the price, which was cheaper than a recently purchase 18 watt head. I didn't purchase the cab as I have questions about the 2x12 matching speaker cab loaded with (as I understand) 1 Celestion G12h30 and 1 Celestion Vintage 30. Please correct me if I'm wrong. These speakers are not my favorites so I'm concerned how they sound in this cab with this amp. Can anybody describe how this amp sounds with this cab or any cab and speaker arrangement you have heard it thru? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

2. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    thunderous. i haven't had the back off, but kinda reminds me of a similarly-loaded Dr. Z Z-Best cab, which is Thiele-aligned, ported, etc.

at "reasonable" volume levels, very detailed, great note separation. later on today, if i get a chance, i'll be hooking up my Briton II cab to it (2x12 w/Blues), attenuated by itself, then in parallel w/the Colonial cab.

:cool:

3. hawkeyeinexile

Bill, just checked and can see two ports, one in each upper corner of the cab. explains the ZBestness of it.

4. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Unless your going the Bob Burt route.............I can't see anyone making a better matched bottom for that amp. Listen To Jay Wolfe.........I played the very model they have there and it KICKS serious ass through that bottom. Grab it while you can with the head and if down the road you want to swap the speakers do it...........:cool:

5. gulliver

gulliver Member

I don't know, sounds like you've already tried those speakers with other amps and have come up empty. I'd recommend trying the amp through as many speakers and cabinets as you have guitar player friends and see what you like the best. In other words, I am recommending you go for the tone in your head starting from scratch rather than going with what the manufacture specs ... which you say are not your favorites. My 2 cents.

6. PaulC

PaulC Member

The cab is a ported design with mixed speakers. I didn't care for a pair of g12h30 or vintage 30 speakers in the cabs, but the combination of the two sounds very different then either pair by themselves. They both add what the other is missing. Plus don't overlook the effects of the cab itself. You may hate a speaker in one cab, but love it in another.

While I agree with gulliver that you should be going with the tone in your head I do have to say don't write off what the manufacture specs. Alot of time was spent on that cab and amp combination. Not spam - I'm just saying...

But of course I'd still go with a 4x12 myself!

Paul Cochrane
    Heritage amps

7. 58relic

58relic Member

I just picked up a Briton II head this morning.
    I wonder if Heritage has a dedicated cab for this one.
    As I understand from Val, only 2 blues will let it really shine.
    Btw, I'm very curious how it sounds with my THD 2x12.

Sorry for this little bit of hijacking ......

Q for Paul C:
    Val forwarded you an email, cause I really, really need to testdrive my Briton with a Timmy ....... ;)

Cheers you all!

8. hawkeyeinexile

hey, 58', there are a couple Brit II threads going (FYI & future enjoyment & participation).

yes, there is a cab for the Briton II & it's a half-open 2x12" with Celestion AlNiCo Blues. i've got it & it kills...in the nicest way ;).

will look forward to hearing your experiences with other cabs.

9. 58relic

58relic Member

Thanks Jeff, I'll chime in tomorrow.
    Tonight band rehearseal, Briton with the THD.

Later.

10. KLB

KLB Member

From Peter at Heritage:

The Colonial 2x12 is 28-1/2"W x 19-1/2"T x 12"D. It is ported with batting and comes with a Celestion V-30 & G12H-30. It is Baltic birch with a fixed dadoed-in birch baffle and closed back.

The Briton 2x12 is solid pine and open back. It has a fixed bolted-in baltic birch baffle and comes with Celestion Blues. Dimensions are 26-1/2"W x 20"T x 11-1/4"D.

Val at Heritage, in another e-mail exchange, said that the Colonial cab is normally sold as a set with the head ($2795 list), but that I can get it separately. He gave no list price for the cab and preferred that I get that info and a selling price from a dealer.

- Ken

11. hawkeyeinexile

thanks, KLB, i'll add that cab info to my owner's manual. since the list price diff twixt Colonial head & full rig is $400, then that's roughly the price of the cab, i guess. for the Briton II the diff is $700. both very good deals, IMHO.

12. KLB

KLB Member

Jeff,
    I'm pretty sure if the dealer has to order the cab separately, it will be more than $400 list. The combo is definitely a great deal.

13. hawkeyeinexile

makes sense. a ZBest cab is $749 list.
    & comparing Brit II cab: a Dr Z 2x12 w/2 Celestion Alnico "Blue Bell" looks like $1119.

my Colonial rig is breaking in nicely. settings of the day (w/EL34s):
    Punch,
    Mood full,
    Bass 1/4,
    Mid 3/4,
    Treble 1/2,
    Presence 1/4,
    both voicing switches "UK",
    Bright vol 1/2,
    Normal vol 1/4 :AOK

14. mmorse

mmorse Member

I think Jeff is right. I saw a Heritage brochure and it listed the Colonial head at $2395 and the head/cab at $2795.