Heritage COLONIAL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by norrin radd, Nov 14, 2005.

1. norrin radd

norrin radd Member

...shot your feelings, impressions, reviews! :)

2. norrin radd

norrin radd Member

so what? any inputs...:( ?

3. mmorse

mmorse Member

I played one at Tone Merchants about a month ago. Very nice amp. Lot of variation on the plexi type theme. with the UK/US switch and the SAG switch, you can dial in the tone you want easily. Respectable cleans and excellent OD. 50 watts so there is plenty of power yet you can dial in great tone at lower volumes. All in all, a very good amp. :dude

4. norrin radd

norrin radd Member

5. nolenuttt

nolenuttt Gold Supporting Member

My buddy Kenny T. has one purchased from Big Orange Guitars in Daytona-Great dealer, BTW-Dennis rocks....Anyway, an awesome amp-Marshall crunch to bring that big grin, and great cleans also-Plus one for this great amp!!!

6. no1yuno

no1yuno Supporting Member

Wow. Where did everyone go? I remember a LOT of rants and raves about this amp from the Tonefest. Well, I've got one and love it. I've been using an FTR37 for quite some time now and thought I'd try something different so I decided to try the Colonial. Now keep in mind that Paul is a friend of mine but he would be the first to tell you that I'm not easy to please. I wanted to try an EL34 amp again since it had been awhile since I had a Marshall. I think it sounds great.
    It takes pedals amazingly well. I play for a country artist but approach it from a rock perspective. I have to cover a lot of ground tonally and the Colonial (like the FTR37) does it quite well. I prefer the crunch sounds of EL34's over 6V6's. I couldn't really tell you how it compares to a "real" plexi because it's been too long since I've played through a real plexi but it sounds really good. Do a search on the Tonefest and you'll read all the lauditory comments on the Colonial.

7. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Silver Supporting Member

I got to spend some time with one a month or so ago and it knocked me out. It's a great take on the Marshall/Bassman kind of thing but really it's not a clone. It's well thought out and all the little touches it has are great, ie.. the different settings available. You can tell it was designed by a real player and one with the technical skills to pull it off too. I'm going to be grabbing one before Christmas. My last new amp was my Komet 2 or 3 years ago. I can't believe these aren't flying off the shelves!!

8. nothereanymore

nothereanymore Member

I have owned a Colonial since august. To me it is like asking me to describe classic amp, what do you say. If you like the way a 50 watt plexi sounds and reacts to pedals you will love it. If you want a great bassman sound you can a achieve it. Here is what the manual says it will do.
    Plexi both Uk switches on, stby on punch.
    59 bassmas both us switches on, stby sag.
    Jtm 45 both switches us and the stby sag.
    Bass Plexi both switches us and the stby punch.

9. Stringmaster

Stringmaster Gold Supporting Member

I got to spend a few minutes with one, both with a Les Paul and a Strat. I'm mainly a Fender Blackface guy, but have used Bassmans. I wanted to evaluate the Colonial as a blues type amp--for the usual stuff a Bassman will cover, but with an ability to do the British Blues stuff. I think it succeeds here. The first thing I noticed was "wow--this thing is loud!" I suspect that it has too much volume for my needs--my Vibrolux Reverb handles most of my gigs, but at times I need a bit more headroom--this amp struck me as being much louder than the Vibrolux, although output ratings are similar. I wasn't able to crank it much though as I was in a store. I was impressed with the features and tonality overall--just got the feeling it had to be pushed a bit more than I would do in the real world.

10. norrin radd

norrin radd Member

do you guys think that is absolutely needed an attenuator to get bone crushing distortion out of the beast?

11. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    probably. depends on your present level of deafness ;).
    have had 3 occasions to play, longest period today. the 2x12 cab that comes with it is pretty efficient & loud but borderline capacity (50-60w). i can imagine a 4x12 cab that would make it sublimely punishing and it looks like it'll run a full stack :eek:

very high on my acquisition list.

for my own purposes i absolutely love the way it sounds and responds at lower levels (stock cab, both vols @ 1/4, bass, treble, & presence @ noon, mids boosted). will likely get an attenuator for higher-level sounds.

:cool:

12. theHoss

theHoss Member

I haven't played one yet, but the store I shop at www.guitarx.com, can't keep them in stock. I went in the day one came in to try it out, and it sold that morning. I play a heritage liberty, and it is amazing. I was going to try and get a Colonial, but it was too heavy for my weight limit. To accomodate the US/UK thing, the transformer is huge I guess. The folks at the store that have bought one love it though. Very cool amp, designed by a good guy. What more can you ask for? Oh yeah, its a good price!

13. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I heard one demo'd by Brian Meader at WMC.
    A head + 212 cab rig.
    What Mark K. said...perfect meld of a JTM45 and a Bassman...with a little something extra.
    Tight lows, and does everything from pristine cleans to on the edge blues, to Marshall power chords.
    Sweet amp...
    S>
    j

14. norrin radd

norrin radd Member

Get this reply from them! very fast and helpful! :cool:

"Hello Domenico,
    Thank you for writing and for your interest in our amplifiers. We agree with you, Erik is a wonderful person and very knowledgeable dealer. We have heard the Colonial with an attenuator, and it sounds good at lower levels of attenuation, like -4db, -8db. However, when drastically attenuated, the sound and feel changes, as with most attenuators on the market. If you plan
    on using this amp live with moderate attenuation, it should work fine.
    However, the overdriven , distorted tone this amp achieves when cranked is a combination of power tube breakup, transformer saturation and speaker breakup, which are hard to achieve at very low volume with an attenuator set to -16db.
    The Colonial, however, takes OD and distortion pedals very well, as the designer Paul C. is also known for his Tim and Timmy distortion pedals. An Od pedal and the attenuator may provide a solution to maximum distortion at manageable volume levels.

Sincerely,
    Val

Val Lupescu
    Production Coordinator
    Heritage Amplifiers
    www.heritageamplifiers.com
    info@heritageamplifiers.com
    615-377-4913 Phone
    615-373-4986 Fax"

15. norrin radd

norrin radd Member

16. jkr

jkr Supporting Member

I played one today. Great great great clean tones. Also, very flexible. The amp is very loud and I was a/b'ing it with a Germino Classic 45. You better have an attenuater if you plan on cranking it. Overall, an amazing amp. Paul can do no wrong in my book.

17. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Thats it!!? Com'on............which amp blew your skirt up?

18. Birchman

Birchman Member

I own a Colonial and think it's a fantastic amp. With the rectifier in the "Punch" setting it has the quick response of an old 100 watt Super Lead/Super Bass - it doesn't roll over, or "give out," in the same way that a small box Plexi sometimes does. It's got a ton of low end and I love it's aggressive nature. In that setting it really is the only 50 watt amp I've heared that captures the spirit and impact of the old Super Leads. Setting the rectifier to "Sag" brings in a great JTM45/JTM50-like quality, and re-biasing for 6L6's makes it sound like a killer tweed Bassman/blackface Bassman head. For me, the real magic in the amp is from the feedback knob. Adjusting the amount of negative feedback on the fly is incredible - you can really dial in the exact tone you're looking for. You can make the amp sound tight and controlled or dial out the feedback for a more chaotic, or pushed sound - I'm not exactly sure how to describe it in words but it's very expressive and rewarding to play through. I own many vintage Marshalls and Fender amps, so I have some perspective here and I can recommend the Colonial without reservation. It takes pedals extremely well, not surprisingly given its designer, and has voicing options that in my opinion put it in a class of it's own. As for the Germino stuff, I have only heard the Masonette and it wasn't anywhere near as flexible, but a still good sounding amp. However, it didn't excite me the way this amp does. I think you could buy one Colonial and feel like you just bought five great sounding old amps - and that's saying quite a bit. I love mine and use it constantly. I realize this might sound like spam, but it's not - I'm also a huge fan of the Divided By 13 stuff. It's just that I think Paul C and the Heritage team have made a noteworthy product.

19. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Thats awesome.........thanks for the detailed review it was really helpful. What kind of venues do you play it in? Do you think its overkill for a small club or Basement jam band setting? What kind of speakers did your colonial bottom come with?

Thanks again.........:cool:

20. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    i called them up & (IIRC) Shawn said one heritage V30 and one heritage G12H30.

thanks for the input, B-man, yes this little honey puts out the lows like i can't believe. in others i've tried it reminds me of an Aiken rig.

:cool: