Heritage Colonial

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by nothereanymore, May 3, 2005.

1. nothereanymore

nothereanymore Member

Hi I am new here. I was over at Heritage amps yesterday. Paul Cochran told me that Matt Scannel placed an order for a Colonial.

2. gregory70

gregory70 Supporting Member

Played a Colonial... it is awesome. The Plexi you always wish you had. Very cool amp, indeed.

I myself bought the Heritage Patriot (2 6L6, 2X12). Once I played it, I had to buy it. I liked it so much, I ordered a Heritage Victory (2 6V6, 1X12). If I like the Victory, I might just breakdown and buy the Colonial. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the Cochrane designed Heritages.

3. jkr

jkr Supporting Member

Played the Colonial. Loved it also.

4. nothereanymore

nothereanymore Member

The Patroit and Colonial are enough different. I will end up with both.

5. KLB

KLB Member

The Colonial has four very cool features:

1.) switch to select either shared or split cathodes on 1st preamp tube
    2.) switch to select tone stack values (probably selects between 56K/250p and 33K/500p)
    3.) varable negative feedback
    4.) external bias adjust and meter connection points

Does anyone know what the retail and street prices are?

6. PaulC

PaulC Member

Hey KLB,

Actually you're close on the switches, but there's more!

The first switch changes the input cathodes, but also brings in the bright cap across one of the channel mix resistors. Also the stby switch is really cool. It switches between two different front end pwr supplies. The punch setting has a higher voltage/higher current tranny winding with SS rects and high filtering. The sag settings switches over to a lower voltage/current winding with tube rect and low filtering. This isn't the same thing as a tube/ss switch. The amp is switching the whole dang thing! It even adjusts the preamp voltages at the same time. You can also set it up for 6l6 or el34 with the bias probes on the back.

The goal of the amp was to have a 50 watt plexi type thing, but give it more of the feel of a 100 watter. So I feel it has a looser feel with more oomph than the bang of the 50 watters. Then offer voicing options to set it up like a tweed bassman/JTM45/plexi bass, or super lead models.

Later, PaulC

7. meterman

meterman Member

Man I can't wait to try one!!

Hey Paul, sorry about the Atlanta tonefest thing, I ended up not making it myself, hope I didn't leave you hanging on it....

8. KLB

KLB Member

Hot dang, Paul, that is awesome!

I look forward to trying one out SOON.

It will be gratifying to support you and a company located in a nearby state.

Can you tell us the retail price and availability on the Colonial?
    What size/weight is it?
    Tubes/Transformers pointing up?
    Will combos be available?

BTW, I'm still very much enjoying my early non-painted TIM!
    It anchors the right side of my pedalboard.
    Other pedals come and go.

Cheers,
    Ken

9. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

I can vouch for the Colonial as well. I have heard it many times - as well as his Briton - and think its absolutely KILLER !! Thats a whole lotta Marshalls in one box !!!

10. KLB

KLB Member

I'm still looking for a response.
    When I e-mailed Heritage, I got no response there either.

11. PaulC

PaulC Member

Hey Ken,

Sorry I didn't post more about the amp. I've been wanting to talk it up big time all over these plexi type threads, but I don't want to get into spam land. When I make it into work I'll try and find your email, and why the guys didn't answer it (they're supposed to be better at that than I am!).

Later, PaulC

12. bobbystroker

bobbystroker Guest

a bump cuz i'm curious to hear what mr c has to say.

13. PaulC

PaulC Member

Let me talk to Scott P first so I can see just what I can post about the amp. Being that I designed it I have to be carefull what I say. I don't want to abuse this place!!

PaulC

14. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Who the hell is Matt Scannell and why should we care that he bought this amp? Serious question.. Btw, I love my early non-painted TIm too and have no doubt that Paul designs excellent stuff as I've been told that about his amps, but my 1st question is serious! :) ERIC

15. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Hey Mike ! Your posts are always so long my man... BUT you got right to the point. Thanks a lot. I had read an article about Vertical HOrizon's guitarists in 1 of my guitar magazines about 2 years ago or so , and the 1 guy LOVED boutique -type gear and played a Diezel, Matchless, etc. Not sure if it's the same guy, but he was a total gearhead... Thanks for the info

ERIC

16. gregory70

I just bought a new Heritage Victory (20 watt 6V6, 1X12). I'm speechless. I can't wait to get it home and hear it next to my Heritage Patriot. I really can't imagine two better sounding amps. Paul C. really knows his business..

Now I'll have to save up for the Colonial. It's addictive, isn't it?

17. SteveR

SteveR Member

Gregory70

How do you like the Patriot with pedals? I'm guessing it does a great job, but I haven't really seen it discussed yet.

Seems like the amp gives you a lot of control over the mids. That may be just what I've been looking for in my clean sounds. I've got the TIM and some other great dirt pedals, but I'm still fussing over the "right" mids in my clean sounds.

Steve

18. gregory70

Both of my Heritages take pedals extremely well - better than any other amp I've had. I use a Timmy for a little dirt and boost and an Eternity for the heavier stuff. I also use a SweetSound Ultravibe and a Teese RMC1. It handles all of them famously. I really can't imagine better sound amps.

19. SteveR

SteveR Member

Thanks for the info. The Patriot and the Briton are looking pretty interesting.

Steve

20. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

Paul's a great cat and I see that Heritage actually has a dealer in my city(!). Must go check out the Colonial and the Briton.