Heritage G12-65 vs G12M vs G12H

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cg, Aug 12, 2008.

1. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

The Germino cab I just bought came loaded with Heritage G12-65s. How do they compare to the other two heritage models? The descriptiona on the Celestion web site aren't much help.

2. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

In my opinion, you have the best of the three speakers. They have a slightly more pronounced midrange, but are fantastic sounding speakers. I have a G1265 in my combo cab from Greg G. The G12H heritages are too loud and too harsh. They sond nothing like REAL G12Hs, and I know because I heard Greg G.'s original quad of G12Hs. The heritage G12M 20 watters are ok speakers, I like them best in a closed back cab. They are great if you dont care about low end tightness and want to run the amp flat out. They sound raspy to me in an open backed cab. They are more articulate than normal greenbacks, and it takes a little EQ rearranging to make them sound as warm as greenback reissues (which I like with this amp) or G1265s, which I love this amp.

3. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

In general I agree with Dewman's comments. I would add that making sure the Heritage speakers are well broken in is essential towards emulating the sound of the originals. I LOVE the Heritage G12Ms with my Germino Club 40, loaded into Greg's 2x12 cab. The rig sounds fantastic, but it took a bit of playing to break the speakers in. I also like that they are fairly inefficient, allowing me to crank the amp a bit.

In a 1x12 configuration the 12-65 is hard to beat. It has the creamy nature of the Greenback with a bit more stoutness. It also depends on if you want natural overdrive by cranking the amp, or if you like to use pedals.

4. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

Maybe Greg Germino's original G12H's sounded the same 30-40 years ago? You can't compare new out of the box speakers with vintage speakers that have been played for thousands of hours. Of course you can buy other ones that are supposed to sound like they have been played for years if you want. IMO the 65's are dark and very midrange heavy, the G12H's are brighter with more clarity, didn't find them harsh, it all depends what you want. I agree with the G12M's being a bit on the raspy side with a looser low end but that's what M's do.

BADHAK likes this.
  5. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

I don't find the G12-65s too dark or with an overly dominant midrange. They sound sweet to me with plenty of highs. I tend to run the amp at 5 to 6 and use pedals to go into higher gain territory. I am playing with Greg's settings (volume on 8 or 9) as well.

6. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

I found the 65's to be dark with a rounded off high end and a high midrange. It sounds like they are working just fine with your set-up.

7. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

I really liked the Heritage G12-65's over all other speakers...until I compared them to 1) Eminence Private Jacks and 2) Scumback M75's.

The G12-65's are pretty tight and aggressive in their breakup compared to the other two. Cleans are even better as well with the other two, to me, the G12-65 has a hint of that Celestion metallic attack.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
    rummy likes this.
  8. elgalad

elgalad Senior Member

The G12-65's are great speakers, very warm and rounded with smooth mids. I had one in an old 80s Crate solid state combo of all things, and it really warmed up what would be an otherwise pretty sterile clean tone. It was a sad day when I fried the voice coil by pushing it too hard.

9. thegame

thegame Member

I think that metallic attack sounds cool. It brings out the pick attack. If its not there, somethings missing to my ears.

10. guitarvc

guitarvc Member

I think it depends on the amp powering the cab. With my Egnater I love my 65's, and they sound good with other amps as well. I have a 18 watt that is voiced like the traditional Marshall, and the G12H30's sound better with that amp. Greenbacks sound great with my Ceriatone Expression (Trainwreck clone).

11. rockon1

rockon1 Member

+1 Big difference between new speakers and 30 year old ones. Bob

12. BraveUlysses

BraveUlysses Guest

I have been through my share of speakers like the rest of this crew and have to give a big :AOK to the Celestion Heritage G12-65's. Best of the Heritage Series IMHO

13. Zuper

Zuper Supporting Member

I think the G12-65s sound great alone, but are a bit dark with a band. I went through several speakers with my Club 40 and settled on Scumback H75LHDC.

14. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

all I know is my Germino sounds warm and fat through G12-65s but still cuts. very cool tones to be had.

15. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

What's the difference between a G12-65 and a G12M-70 besides 5 watts?

16. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Tone!

17. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

And THAT is all that matters! Cheers Dewman!

18. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

That's a good start, but which one has it?

19. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Totally different sounding. As jamison162 put it-tone. The G12M-70 is held by most in low regard. Kind of flat sounding, weak bass response. On the other had the G12-65 packs a big fat midrange ,decent lows and smooth highs.It can be almost too dark with some amps.
    FWIW-The G12M-70 uses a 1 1/2 inch voice coilcompared to almost every others guitar speakers standard 1 3.4 inch voice coil. Bob

20. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

Thanks, Rock, very interesting. I have an extra 4ohm GM-70 I pulled out of an old Crate cab I was thinking of using as a swapout on my on-order Crate V18, but maybe not. Probably wants an 8-ohm driver anyways.