Heritage Guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Robert1950, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

Has anybody had experience with the H-140CM?? Or any other of the solid body models? What't your opinion. I haven't seen around the Toronto area. There one distributor listed about 160km (100mi) way.

I sort of see Heritage relating to Gibson in a similar way G&L is to Fender. Make sense?

Thanks.

2. axpro

axpro Member

Hey Robert,

I tried a few a few weeks ago at Murch Music (probably the dealer you are mentioning) and they were pretty cool, i find them better than Les Pauls at a better price, but the non-traditional hardware can be a tough sell.

Murch is now a member of Long&McQuade music(who i work for) so i figure some other store might someday be able to order one, the only problem is i hear they are murder to get ahold of (i know a few guys tryign to order archtops) so L&M might not be big on ordering them en-masse

as to the G&L-Fender reference, it's true, only if you thinkG&L are made much better (true) cheaper (usually true) but a little on the ugly side (eye of the beholder)

Dave

3. rbisherw

rbisherw Guest

Heritage makes some fine guitars as does G&L.
    They are not Gibsons and Fenders.

I have played great and crummy Heritage, G&L, Gibson and Fender guitars.

Listen to others opinions and play as many guitars as possible

In the end, play what speaks to you.

4. jeffh

jeffh Silver Supporting Member

I have had a couple of Heritage 140 and 150s. Good value, exceptional value used. Generally speaking coparible to the USA Gibson's. Can be heavy, lots of them have the 60s slim taper type neck, although you can order anything. I kept my Gibsons sold the Heritages, personal preference only.

The hardware is odd, I know of a few dealers who will order them with the more standard Gibson type hardware. Wolfe Guitars are a big Heritage dealer and they are supposed to be great to deal with. No experiences myself.

5. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

Your are second person to say the hardware is odd. What was odd about it???

Thanks,... Robert

P.S Heritage Guitars seem hard to come by in Canada. Only one dealer that I know off.

6. danhops

danhops Member

If you order from Jay Wolfe, he gets it without the roller bridge, and all the other goodies.

7. jeffh

jeffh Silver Supporting Member

The schaller roller bridge is different than what the ABR-Stoptail. Better ? Worse ? Hard to say, it just seems odd on what is a vintage Les Paul type guitar. Also some of the Heritage guitars have Schaller pickups.

I am also in Canada ( Calgary). We had a dealer here who carried Heritage for a while. Didn't sell much and dropped the line. I know two guys who bought guitars from them, both very good guitars.

8. JPERRYROCKS

JPERRYROCKS Member

+1 for the pain in the ass hardware. I don't like the tailpiece and Schaller bridge set-up on the Heritages. Also, the pick-up rings are different as well with the screwholes.

But you can easily change that out. Also, some bigger Heritage dealers like Jay Wolfe order the Gibson type set-up when it comes to bridges and such.

Heritages can have a pretty poor resale value, so finding one used is a good idea. Especially the hollow bodies and archtops.

I had a 150 CM back in the late 90's. A nice guitar, but a bit on the heavy side from what I remember.

9. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

I'm play first , or play many times, then buy type of person. I own a MIJ 70s Epiphone Riviera, an ES335 type with a weird funky tailpiece call a Frequensator. This model came with full humbuckers, not minis like the earlier Kalamzoo Riviera or the later Korean ones. I would not have bought this over the net even if it was from a reputable dealer. I saw it in a store (L&M in Toronto) and it caught my eye. Sound was OK, but it felt good and the neck felt like it was created for my hand.

I've seen many guitars that looked good on the web, but didn't feel right when I tried them out. I tried out several Epi Sheratons and Dots and they didn't feel or sound quite right. My adventure in trying out strats, even though I never bought one, was the same with way more quitars. They were all different. Then I tried a used G&L Legacy. It felt fanastic. But I had no $$ to buy it (insert several expletives here).

It would have to be the same with a Heritage. So that means taking the 2 hr. drive to Cambridge Ont. some weekends when I'm ready to try on out. They are Canada's only dealer (I should be glad they aren't in BC)

My Riviera: http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=3613454

10. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

Actually going to Kalamazoo might be an idea. It's less than a six hour drive. Maybe in the spring?? When I checked their site, they listed the Factory as a dealer.

I find the specs of the H140 interesting, a thinner lighter LP?

Just a thought for the time.

11. Mutley

Mutley Supporting Member

Heritage guitars are available with Schaller TOM bridges. The Schaller HBs are really pretty good pickups for a PAF type. Their HRW pickups are terrific sounding in either their 335 or LP type guitars. I own one of each and could not have afforded this kind of quality had I gone the G route. My H535 is a custom color for Jay Wolfe, kind of a faded cherry and my H157 (think LP Custom) is a quilt topped, gold hardware, 9lb. guitar with a custom neck carve that sounds/looks awesome and didn't break the bank. Nitro finish on top of that for all models. If I was in the neighborhood (within six hours) I'd deffo hit the trail for the factory visit. Rendahl Wahl is a great guy there, Bill Paige also.

I love my Heritages. My H535 weighs 8 pounds. Killer guitar.

Ned

12. Hacek

Hacek Member

Robert1950,

I bought my Heritage 150 from Murch Music back in 2002. They may have been the only dealer in Ontario then, not sure.

If I bought another, would likely go to Jay Wolfe.

13. OWENMUSTANG

OWENMUSTANG Member

heritage guitars are great if you get them set up with the "classic"
    tune-a-matic/tone pros style bridge and SD pick ups of your choice.

i don't know about the heavy part. my CM150 is a full pound lighter than any similar priced les paul i tried, 6 btw. and seems like 2 over anything cheaper.

talk to wolf guitars. i bought my CM150 from roman.. (i never had heard of him prior) o.k,wasn't impressed. also, he is not a dealer anymore.
    bought a prospect from wolfe. aaa+ customer service and pricing.
    they will get another CM150 sale out of me soon.

14. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    nice pic & guitar, Robert.

another vote for Wolfe. call them toll-free, talk to Jay or Graham, get a guitar you think might like on 48-hour approval and find out for sure. i did that with this guy here:

[​IMG]

Millenium DC, first of its kind - Jay had it in stock when i called, sent it to me, took all of 48 secs. to decide for me :D

the previous H140s, which were pretty much entry-level LPs, had the pointy cutaway (i've never liked those much - on archtops or anything), but i see this on Jay's site:

Heritage H-140 2nd Edition

and the new '37 and some other things Jay's worked w/Kalamazoo on that make the ol' wallet pocket throb...

H-137 2nd Edition

me, i might just be a run-o-the-mill H157 kinda guy. my first guitar i bought myself was a '68-'69 LP Custom. the guys @ 225 Parsons St. may have been there making it :D

:cool:

15. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

Have you ever ordered from the US before. That would be the biggest stumbling block for me. Maybe unfounded, I'm not sure.

16. vbjamin

vbjamin Member

Heritage H-157, 2001,Yummy
    soon to be Bigsbie'd
    [​IMG]

17. Hacek

Hacek Member

Yes, I've ordered two Fender Custom Shop guitars from the US. Received one and am still waiting on the other.

The first one cost $500.00 in taxes and duty fees on crossing the border. Still, much less cost than if I'd bought in Canada.

18. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

Heritage guitars are a great deal for an American made instrument. I'd order through wolfe too...he can get you one that is a bit closer to LP specs, which will get you closer to an LP for about half of the money.

Is a true Gibson twice as good and worth twice the money? Some would say yes. They are different guitars to be certain...but you can get quite close in sound and feel with the Heritage without selling a kidney to finance it.

Only a Gibson is a Gibson though. the Heritage should be pursued/purchased on its own merits. quality can be easily as good as Gibson, and in some instances, better for the buck.

19. rooster

rooster Member

I love my H150CM Goldtop. Got it from Wolfe Guitars in January. It came with the Nashville bridge and standard stop tailpiece, which I swapped out for an aluminum one. Also, loaded in the Bill Lawrence L-495 pickups. I like it better than any Gibson I've ever played (I owned 2 Gibbys, BTW, but neither were as warm and resonant as this guitar). I'll be buying another Heritage in the future from Jay, and NEVER buying a Gibson -- just sticking with my old '68 B-25 as far as that brand goes.

As far as nothing equalling a Fender (posted earlier), that's a bizarre thought in and of itself.....

rooster.

20. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

Does anyone have some sound clips of their Heritage?? Please just note your model, pups, and amp/direct in. etc.

Thanks