Heritage H-555

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ZeeBee, Jan 11, 2008.

1. ZeeBee

ZeeBee Member

I'm thinking about the purchase of a Heritage H-555. Your opinions and experience with this guitar would be helpful.

I'm considering the following pickup choices, so your thoughts here would be great as well. the choices are Heritages own HRW pickups, SD Seth Lovers and SD 59's.

My playing style for this guitar will be in the Carlton and 335-Lee Ritenour vein.

Some have said that Heritages can be inconsistent and that the neck can be unstable. Any thoughts? and how about the sustain ... would it be or not?

Thanks all.

2. Guitartim

Guitartim Member

The H-555 is my latest score...and one of the best semi-hollows I've ever played. It has HRW p'ups that are IMHO, comparable to the best boutique PAF's out there. Great clarity and complexity at any volume and with any amp I've tried. The only thing I've read about their neck 'instability' was on Ed Roman's ranting website after Heritage dumped him. Roman had a problem with their three-piece maple neck (gorgeous), but currently Heritage offers a mahogany neck on H-555 and H-535's unless you custom order maple.

Check out Wolfe Guitars in Florida or California's Buffalo Bros. They seem to have the largest selection. I scored a great deal from Jay Wolfe on mine.

[​IMG]
    http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/3015/heritageh555hf7.jpg

3. samdjr74

samdjr74 Supporting Member

I don't have a 555 but I own a 535 with the HRW pick ups in it. This is my 3rd Heritage and I must say it's probably the best sounding and playing guitar I have next to my PRS and McInturff. I've never had any neck problems what so ever and every Heritage I've ever played is always spot on.

Thanks,
    Sam

4. Guitartim

Guitartim Member

ZeeBee~ You might check in with the guys at the Heritage Owners Club about your inquiry.

They (we) are a very up front and honest bunch that will give you much more input about everything 'Heritage'. Good hunting!

http://www.heritageownersclub.com/

5. squawken

squawken Member

Ditto! I belong to that forum, and if you ask about a Heritage they more than go out of their way to help you out. I also know Music Boutique here in Jersey has many Heritage hollow bodies.

6. rooster

rooster Member

Second that. I have 3 H150's, and I'd never swap any of them for a Gibby. Well, unless it was a vintage Gibby that I could flip for 3 or 4 Heritage's.

rooster.

7. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I have a Prospect, an H-137 and a Sweet 16. Love 'em all.

8. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

I agree of the Heritages I used to own, I liked the HRW`s best, but the others are very nice p/ups.

9. Boogs

Boogs Member

I have a 535 Classic with '59s - brilliant. Sounds like nothing else I've played in terms of warmth, character and clarity. Beautiful, as well.

10. Red Suede

Red Suede Member

I have a 535 that I put Tom Holmes pickups in. Sounds really good.

11. dharmafool

dharmafool Supporting Member

I have a 535 with a Seth Lover at the neck and '59 at the bridge. I love the Lover and would happily trade out the '59 for a Seth bridge model. Neck is a '60s carve, a bit too slim for me, but the guitar sounds so good. Whenever I think of selling it, I grab it, plug it in, and inside of a minute I change my mind and decide to keep it.

12. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

I've owned Heritages with SD 59's, Seth Lovers, and HRW's. I prefer the 59's for my style of Southern Rock/Blues. I think that for the Rittenour/Carlton Jazz style, you'd much prefer the HRW's.

13. MrMunky

MrMunky Silver Supporting Member

A couple points:

1) I would suggest that you go for an H-535, and add the options that you want. If the Ebony fingerboard, inlays, etc. are your thing, just add them as options. You might save a few bucks that way, but most importantly, you get the mahogany neck. I don't really understand why the maple neck on this type of guitar is considered an upgrade. Maple is probably negligably less stable, but it's not really the right tone for this type of guitar, especially with the types of tones you describe.

2) The neck's aren't really unstable, moreso than other manufacturers. The problem with Heritages is the same problem as with Gibsons, their fingerboard preparation before the frets go in are questionable. They recently got a Plek machine, and this helps a bit, but ordinarily its sufficient to get the frets dressed a year or two after you have the guitar to solve this problem. Nothing you don't ordinarily have to do with a new guitar.

3) Get the HRW pickups. They're exceptional, and perfect for the tones you'll describe. They also tend to up the resale value of the guitar, because people who know enough to look for a Heritage know what the HRWs are about.

14. guitrr

guitrr Reverb Junkie Silver Supporting Member

I would concur to go for the 535 instead, but that's just my opinion.

My Prospect came with Seth Lovers, and I didn't care for them; I wound up putting Fralin P-92's in it, and now it's got much more articulation and clarity.

On the other hand, my 535 came with the HRW's, and I love 'em! That guitar is my only one that has remained completely stock.

Heritage guitars are wonderful instruments, and are a HUGE bang for the buck value when compared to anything of comparable quality.

The photo shows the Prospect before the pickup change, and the 535 is pictured without its (finish matched) pickguard.

Kane

[​IMG]

15. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I had a 555 and it was neckheavy.