1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Heritage HRW (Rendal Wall) Pickups. Yeah? Nay?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by SuperReverb2, Jun 16, 2006.

1. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

I did a couple of searches on the subject but drew a blank. Does anybody have any experience with these pickups, and if so, your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I'm toying with the idea of sending my 535 to Heritage so they can swap out the Seth's that are currently in there for the HRW's, and at the same time, have the D-VIP switching installed.

Thanks in advance

Chuck

2. 60HzShuffle

60HzShuffle Member

I haven't heard the hrw's in a semi-hollowbody like the 535 but I do have them in my Eagle Classic Hollowbody and love them. I sure you will really like them but have to say that Seth's in a 535 (or 335-like guitar) are awesome unto theirselves.

3. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    i had Seths in my Millenium Ltd. Ed. & have HRWs in my Millenium DC, also have an HRW bridge pickup lying loose here on my desk.

the HRW is a great all-around pickup, rocks like crazy in my guitar (BrewBeck calls it "the Screamer"), yet is loved by many jazzers in their archtops for its clarity. you're in a unique position in that you can call the maker and ask him what he thinks (Rendal is said to be a heckuva player as well).

me, i'd just get another 535 w/HRWs & keep the one with the Seths :D

:cool:

4. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

THANKS for the replies! I spoke to Ren (Rendal Wall) yesterday, but he was pretty tight lipped about how his HRW's compare to other pickups currently on the market. He would only say that I would notice QUITE a difference from what I have now. I must admit the new D-VIP system has me VERY intrigued as well. I also phoned Jay Wolfe, (purchased the guitar from him in 2004) and he stated I should leave the guitar as is, as he feels that the Seth Lovers offer the best "vintage" vibe in an ES-335 style guitar. I respect Jay's opinion (a lot actually) and If I was going for the Claptonesque "Live at Hyde Park" tone exclusively I wouldn't change a thing. I am however trying to move the tonal center of the guitar (slightly) towards more of a (tighter?) Ford/Carlton Jazzier" tonality, thus my interest in the HRW's. The Seth's actually sound VERY good (with my Fuchs) on the B and E strings, but they are QUITE woody/wooly, (almost nasal) sounding on the E, A, D, and G strings. The unpotted Seth's can also be feedback central with the gain turned up on the Fuchs. I believe the HRW's are potted. Basically, I'm trying to "tighten" things up a bit, and hopefully the HRW's will focus more on the high mids, and highs, rather than the mids (lowerish) and lows like I hear with the Seth Lovers.
    I have a clip that Scott Lerner sent me way back in January of his Heritage 535 with HRW's through his 1 x 12 EV cabinet (bridge pickup) and other than the EV having a tad "pinch" of something, I really liked what I heard. (100 watt SLX) I did read a later post (by Scott) where he stated that he liked the neck pickup because it was quite articulate, but school was still out on the bridge pickup. With the info that was lost when The Gear Page went up and down there for a while, I'm not sure if he has posted anything about his Heritage and the HRW's lately. I did shoot him an e-mail, so maybe if he sees this post he'll chime in.

:)

5. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

Nobody else has tried these pickups here? :eek:

6. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I had them in a 575...I dont know how they would compare to Seth's, as I dont have a guitar with those loaded.
    I dug the tones for clean work, ala Steve Howe. They sounded fat and well rounded, not too dark and not too bright. I could never use an overdrive pedal or crank the amp with this guitar, due to feedback. I would definitely go with whatever Jay Wolfe would tell you. That guy knows his Heritage guitars!
    S.
    j

7. samdjr74

samdjr74 Supporting Member

I have the HRW's in my 535 and they sound incredible. They have a huge tonal range. I can get anything from blues up to hard rock without any issues and through a clean channel they sound great too.

8. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

Great stuff! Thanks for the replies, it's appreciated. :)

9. scottl

scottl Member

Hey Chuck,

I'll try my 535 with my rigs tonight..... My gut was to take them out! Hold your horses till I report back ;)

10. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

THANKS Scott! Horses are holding........:)

11. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

The HRW's are incredible pickups - highly recommended upgrade.

12. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

Do you have any comparisons to the more commonly used pickups like Seymour Duncan, WCR, etc? Brighter, bolder, more articulate? Hot PAF's?

Thanks in advance

Chuck