Heritage Victory (head)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hawkeyeinexile, Jun 9, 2006.

1. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    well, guess my old thread disappeared in the last crash, so here's another go:

- got the Victory head late April from C.B. Perkins in San Jose. auditioned it using d-o-c's ZBest cab w/Red Fang, IIRC.

the tweed & piping are flawless:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

- used it for a rehearsal and a couple gigs, one outdoors w/a small blues combo (drums, bass, harp, guitar) & never had to turn it past about 1/2. i tend to roll off bass, boost mids, run Master vol @ about 2/3 or more & set channel vols to room/speakers/taste.

- used it a classic dive for real loud gig w/a Menatone Red Snapper and a Rivera TAC-112 w/(IIRC)Celestion G12T-75. loud as hell, crowd loved it, bass player w/300w Walter Woods amp said he had a hard time keeping up.
    even w/low output pickups (Chapin T-Bird).

- sold some stuff & ordered a cab from Peter @ Heritage Amps custom cab shop. i'm told it shipped a couple days ago: slant-front vertical 2x12, speakers offset, switchable between 1 speaker or both, birch ply, unloaded & unfinished. i plan to try and find a combination of speakers that will fit both the Vic and the Colonial.

- hooked up the Vic through A/B/C/Y pedal w/Juke 1210 and i can pretty much guarantee a gorgeous sound that would *darn* hard to duplicate :D

- have used FX loop last couple of gigs w/a TCE G Major and it does exactly what i'd hoped for. i used user settings mostly, one for a little reverb & slapback and the other for a little reverb & some Leslie-ish swirl & vibrato

...gig tonight, more to come...

:cool:

2. trisonic

trisonic Member

jeff,
    Did I ask you about that Channel 2 / FX loop thing?
    How does it work (again, you may have replied but I missed it in the "crash")?

So this is Fenderish (Tweed and BF?) and the Juke is more Magnatone/Supro type doo dah?

Have a good gig btw.....

Best, Pete.

3. hawkeyeinexile

hey, Pete,

here's what PaulC said in another thread about the FX loop,

there's more for me to investigate there, too.

Ch1 is identical to the Vic combo, initially inspired by Tweed Deluxe/Bassman-y things mixed w/Vox AC-50 (i guessed some of this & Paul confirmed it later when i called him to congratulate him (& get status on my Tim pedal :D))
    Ch2 is very tweed Deluxe to me and when mixed w/Ch1 gives it more beef, i think.

the overall effect is much like the Juke in that, tho the Juke has elements of older designs (Valco tremolo, Maggie vibrato, Ampeg reverb, Fender-Gibson of the 50's), the final sound is familiar yet distinctive. i wouldn't confuse my Fuchs mods with a *umble either, but wouldn't want to :D

same thing with Colonial, only a little different. you can get a killer JTM45 or tweed Bassman or Plexi sound from it, if you use the right speaker combinations. but i tend to use the controls to find a sound that isn't off-the-shelf. i think PaulC is and has been onto something very distinctive & creative.

4. trisonic

trisonic Member

jeff,
    I must be on the stupid tablets today for PaulC's explanation is as clear as mud to me! I guess I need to have one in front of me.....are you listening, Paul?

Sounds very interesting, jeff.

Best, Pete.

5. RonH

RonH Supporting Member

Hey Jeff,

The head looks great. Curious to read your future post about how the custom cabinet works out.

Jeff posted this pic of mine before but here it is again for anyone that is interested. Paul really did a great job on this amp. Of course, I played a lot of different models and they all sounded great. Paul has a great ear for tone. After checking out all the amps, I talked to Paul to see if they could make a head version of the Victory and that is how it started for me. Great cabinet work and a really nice sounding amp. The guys at Heritage are great to work with and the amps they are putting out are top notch. This is one amp that isnt going anywhere...I would be stupid to sell the first amp built and one that started a production model. I am really glad they added the head version to the line up. There is a lot of tonal possibilities with this amp and cranking it up it has an awesome overdriven sound. It takes OD pedals really well but I much prefer cranking it up and using the amps distortion instead. I have heard rumors that Paul stated that this is his favorite amp in the line up. Not sure if this is true but it is one amazing sounding amp!

Ron

[​IMG]

6. hawkeyeinexile

Ron,

that was my wallpaper on XP & Linux for about 3 months. a special keeper. and, yes, Paul did tell me (& KLB, too, IIRC) that this is his favorite amp of the present lineup. we talked future plans, too - and they'll remain in the future, revelation-wise ;)

Pete,

that was in reply to someone who wanted to know how to use Ch1, Ch2, both, FX loop, any & all combined. i'm still trying different things myself when there's time - and now it's time to head off a-giggin'...i sent you a PM, will check when i get home tomorrow a.m.

7. gtrchris

gtrchris Member

Awesome!!!:dude Victory incoming!!

8. hawkeyeinexile

played Uncle Roy's in Hayward, where they like their tunes loud. used the Vic head w/Rivera TAC-112, no FX loop, Teese Picture Wah (thanks, d-o-c) and V-Stack Classic (all controls about 10 o'clock). this time i used the Chapin Strata-houla (low output p'ups, too) and Chapin T-bird.

"notes" <pun alert>:
    after the gig the manager/sound man checked out the rig w/a flashlight. couldn't believe it was only 22 watts and a 1x12 cab. thought i was using 6L6s. nope. he was suitably impressed.

i've never played an amp that takes on so different a personality with a speaker change. and it loves everything, except one of our bass player's 3-way cubes (w/10" driver). that was surprising. anyway, so far i've tried it w/4x10 (Weber Calis w/aluminum dustcaps), 1x12 Jensen P12P (rare treat), two different 2x12 cabs with Vox Silver Bells, 1x12 w/Weber Michigan AlNiCo, 2x12 Tonemaster cab w/only 1 Altec 417B (IIRC), the Rivera cab, 1x12 w/Red Fang, 2x12 ZBest w/Red Fangs, vintage Marshall 4x12 w/pre-Rola greenbacks, and a couple others. this is going to make speaker selection for the coming Heritage custom cab quite the adventure...

touch sensitive? it's a very responsive amp and just about any amp i've had will be sensitive when playing softly while the vols are up there. but last night this little guy reminded me of my old Komet in "Fast" mode.

have played it mostly w/four different guitars:
    - Chapin T-bird (neck Chapin humbucker (P90coil+Strat-like coil), bridge Seymour Vintage Hum-canceling)
    - Chapin Hawk (HD p90s)
    - Chapin Strata-houla (Velvet Hammers)
    - Heritage Millenium DC (HRW buckers - yow :eek:)
    it doesn't make choosing a guitar any easier, loves all of them equally.

9. KLB

KLB Member

Can't wait to hear about your new cab!

I'm in the same boat, wanting a vertical 2x12 cab to use with the Victory and Colonial.

The option to go with a single 12 for the Victory only will be very useful. The upcoming Celestion Gold Alnico 50w speaker would seem a good choice.

The Victory sounds fab through an open-back Top Hat 1x12 with Celestion Blue. I don't turn it up all the way for fear of blowing the Blue.

10. hawkeyeinexile

which reminds me, PaulC told me a couple weeks ago he hadn't gotten the Gold yet. also, from the nuked thread, he'd written me that Peter almost had mine done - and he (Paul) just might have get one for his own self :D

imagine it through the Briton II cab - that's probably what i heard when i ran mine through d-o-c's and Brew's cabs w/the Silver Bells :angel they're Ken's Cabs (same guy does Two Rocks & others)...

11. hawkeyeinexile

d-o-c came over Sunday w/a couple (fabulous) amps and a cab, Jenkins Highway 61 that he loaded w/new-issue Jensen P12Rs. chunk, chime, sing. nice speakers and, as expected, the Vic loved 'em and took on more of its tweedy, uh, heritage.

the new cab from Heritage should arrive this week and d-o-c and Brew have offered some really interesting options for me to try: Jensens, Red Fangs, creambacks...i'm looking for some combination optimally "victorish" that the Colonial will like, too. anything goes in the first go-round. old Altec, newish Weber Michigan AlNiCo, so forth. i'm thinking new Cele Gold, Emi Tonespotter - yikes

12. hawkeyeinexile

the custom cab arrived this past week, got a call from Erick @ C.B. Perkins, went down & picked it up - literally, it's about as light as i expected, and checked it out. the order was for unfinished, unloaded 2x12, based on Marshall 4x12-type and is beautifully done. top & sides are clear, joints are perfect, edges rounded voluptuously :D. a bit of an oversight - the custom jack is missing in action. so Erick calls Heritage, leaves a msg, gives me a Switchcraft jack for testing stuff.

the idea is to have a 2x12 that doesn't take up much more floor space than any other 2x12, but have a speaker angled up. the lower speaker may be blocked with a Clearsonic panel or something, to spare audients from the sonic blast of a Colonial in its full glory. a two-way switch will allow use of the upper speaker w/the Victory and both speakers with either the Vic or the Colonial (the upper speaker will likely be 30 watts rms or less).

took it over to d-o-c's yesterday and got some pix. we were sitting on the patio admiring the view while he regaled me w/his recent trip to Austin, where he caught Redd Volkaert's band at a local watering hole. sitting in with Redd was the wonderful-beyond-belief Cindy Cashdollar. "tell me more about her eyes, d-o-c...". then i noticed the daylight was waning & he grabbed the snaps here. it looks like this with both the Victory and the Colonial heads:

[​IMG]

i brightened it a tad to compensate. the original pix are real big and very nicely done. i blame any photo dimness on Cindy. it's all her fault. and if she objects, she can call me directly @ 555-555-5555. our operators are standing by...:AOK

i'm now thinking this cab is too darn nice to lug around unfinished, so i'm talking to Kent Perkins about wood finishes (thinking goldenoak right now), also considering tweed, etc.

dimensions are 25"W x 26"H x 11 (top) |14" (bottom) D. actual wt, as is, is about 30 lbs, or about the same as the Vic head. it feels much lighter.

removable back panel is in the middle position and about 5" high w/8 machine screws into metal inserts. the entire back panel assembly removes with 12 (IIRC) wood screws. nice and tight fit, too. speakers mount w/machine screws into 4 metal inserts.

today d-o-c loaned me a Fane AlNiCo 12 and a Scumback H55-8. i have a Weber Michigan AlNiCo. i tried all three speakers with both the Vic head and the Colonial.

the Fane is a beautiful speaker, pretty well known. i'm not sure how much time it's had on it, but it breaks up somewhat sooner than i'd expect for a 100w speaker. the Scumback was surprisingly sweet. i really liked it a lot, my first time with one for a good test. very much like the G12H30 that came w/the Vic combo i tried, maybe tighter low end, sweeter top. i ended up leaving the Weber in there for now. i like a lot of clean headroom, it'll take 60w rms, has a lot of the Fane's chunk and the Scumback's sweetness.

soon, maybe tomorrow, i expect to get the two-way switch (one way: single speaker @ 8 ohms, 2nd way: both speakers @ 16 ohms). Heritage contacted me Friday to say PaulC was wiring it up.

plans are to test with other speakers @ hand & in the neighborhood: EVM-12L, Cele G12-75T, Emi Red Fang, Emi Private Jack, vintage creamback. once Celestion gets the Golds out here, i'd like to try one of those. not looking for any particular sound, just what this cab can do.

O.Y. (oh yeah...) - i intended to ask for details of the joint work (through-dovetail jointing), but that darn Cindy...anyway, it looks just like the pix on Heritage's custom cab construction page here

13. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I'm hoping to try a Victory and a Briton II head at Heritage's only Australian dealer (Jacksons Rare Guitars) when I'm in Sydney at the beginning of August.

Until then, if any of you Heritage owners feel like doing more clips....:AOK

14. hawkeyeinexile

BrewBeck was gonna host some today, but, you know - family man & Father's Day & all...

15. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Where the heck has Dave been???

Man, we GOTTA have a jam soon. I wanna hear that.

16. hawkeyeinexile

he's a travelin' man. last week Austin, this week Memphis. so it goes. fortunately, he's usually here weekends, so's i can borrow more stuff :dude

17. big mike

Heh heh. Kinda interested in hearing it with an M/H75 Scumback combination myself...that's what's in my 2x12 cabs.

Tell him I said hello.

18. hawkeyeinexile

one combination i'm thinking of is the H75 w/the Weber Michigan. you oughta hear the Colonial through the single Fane AlNiCo (100w?, but breaks up nicely at lower levels when you push on strings a little). what's the diff twixt the Ms and Hs? has anyone tried his higher-powered speakers?

also, i'm thinking of Wizard, Governor, Tonespotter...don't know nothin' 'bout nothin', so all opinions welcome

will do.

19. big mike

I have the higher powered H75 in a mesa open back 1x12 (small Mark series enclosure). VERY cool speaker. I like it a lot. You've heard it. When we had the JTM shootout at Roberto's, Me with the RT (headed to it's new owner today) against his Germino, I had that speaker in the 1x12 Z cab. Nice tone for sure.

The M is the medium magnet speaker, ala G12M and the H is the heavy mag. speaker. Both my 2x12's are loaded with the lower wattage mix. One's in a pine Ken's Cabs 2x12 with Beam Blockers, the other the standard Avatar box. Like them both for different reasons with the Greer / Z.

I'll bring all three cabs next Jam. Peter's talking after July 4th now.

I liked the Governor. Nice alternative to a V30. And the Tonespotter and Wizard sounded very good at NAMM (course, Tomo makes a smokey sound like god). but since discovering (well, beat over the head with by Chet) the Scumbacks, I'm ruined for other speakers.

20. hawkeyeinexile

the Weber Michigan AlNiCo (think E-V SRO) is working out very nicely. will take 60w, has chime & thump, can sing nicely depending on guitar & other settings (w/low-output p'ups a pedal may be required & i'm using mostly a V-Stack Classic and Pharaoh Amps Class A Boost). have pretty much settled on mid-panel removed most of the time. with panel, tho, i get a really nice tight low end. just the bass player may object sometimes when i romp on the low string :eek:

y'oughta hear this thing w/just one 12", back panel on, Colonial turned up to about 1/2 :AOK

i'm on the list for a Celestion Gold, which should be here in August, and am considering G12H30 w/75 Hz cone or similar Scumback. any Eminence speakers in that tone zone?