Heritage Victory reverb problem

Hey! I am the lucky owner of a Heritage Victory combo. It is an amazing amp. Best clean sound I've ever had. The problem, though, comes when I turn the reverb up.

The more I turn up the reverb, the more it hisses. When I have a pedal power supply nearby it hums like crazy the more I turn up the reverb. Without the reverb up, I can keep the power supply anywhere near the amp with no problems.

It is not really a problem for live use, but for home use I need to play this amp at fairly low volumes and the reverb noise gets kind of annoying.

I've tried taking out the reverb tube: Reverb disappears but the noise is still there.

Too bad because other than this issue, this amp is totally amazing.

I realize the amp may not be designed for playing at low volumes, but neither is my AC30C2x, and it does not have this problem with the reverb.

Any ideas?

zzmoore

If the hissing is present after you remove the Verb Tube, perhaps the noise issue is After That (or in the other channel if this is 2x).......you have tried changing the pre tubes following.?

Last edited:

arcey

Try unplugging the reverb cables one at a time to see if it stops. If not, the problem is in the chassis. If so, then you could swap the cables and see if one of them has a bad shield connection.

If the hissing is present after you remove the Verb Tube, perhaps the noise issue is After That (or in the other channel if this is 2x).......you have tried changing the pre tubes following.?
Thanks for your suggestion. I have tried rotating the other preamp tubes (i.e. moved the one in socket 3 to socket 4 and so on) with no luck. Could it also be the power tubes?

Try unplugging the reverb cables one at a time to see if it stops. If not, the problem is in the chassis. If so, then you could swap the cables and see if one of them has a bad shield connection.
Thanks, I will try that right now.

When I unplugged one of them, it was still noisy. When I plugged that one back into its socket and unplugged the other one, however, the noise stopped. But so did the reverb.

zzmoore

There is always somebody out-smarting me.....:)...The idea is to install a new/different tube(s).
If you just swap tubes around the board...you may be moving "the bad tube" from one socket to another.
Sorry...should have been more clear about that.

There is always somebody out-smarting me.....:)...The idea is to install a new/different tube(s).
If you just swap tubes around the board...you may be moving "the bad tube" from one socket to another.
Sorry...should have been more clear about that.
Ah, I see. Cool. I have ordered a couple of RCA cables and new tubes. They will no doubt be handy to have around whether it fixes the problem or not. Thanks a lot!

Darth Federer

I've might have some helpful insight for you here. I was looking at buying a Victory a couple years ago. Great sounding amp but it was too loud for my use. I did call Paul Cochrane though to ask some questions. Great guy. We chatted for about 10-15 min about the amp. The only deficiency he mentioned was a switch in the reverb tank that was forced by new regulations, maybe epa but I'm not sure. If your tank is silver then it's the replacement version that Paul said was inferior to the original tank which is gold in color. Aside from mentioning the bad reverb tanks he says the Victory is "overengineered" and very well built.

Bluewail

Tone curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
I've might have some helpful insight for you here. I was looking at buying a Victory a couple years ago. Great sounding amp but it was too loud for my use. I did call Paul Cochrane though to ask some questions. Great guy. We chatted for about 10-15 min about the amp. The only deficiency he mentioned was a switch in the reverb tank that was forced by new regulations, maybe epa but I'm not sure. If your tank is silver then it's the replacement version that Paul said was inferior to the original tank which is gold in color. Aside from mentioning the bad reverb tanks he says the Victory is "overengineered" and very well built.
I have a Victory and it's a great amp. A couple of comments on the 'verb.
First of all if my memory serves me correctly the reverb is in a different part of the circuit than is normal for Fenders, earlier in the gain stages. That means a bit more noise sensitivity to the tubes that handle the reverb drive and return. Some tube rolling may help.
I also read that Paul redesigned the verb circuit in later amps. I really did not like the verb in mine when I first got it. I replaced the two spring, long delay tank with a three spring medium delay and the verb is now heaven. Best I've heard in any amp including a Mesa Blue Angel that used to be my best verb reference.

I tried taking the reverb tank out of the amp today, and it reduced the noise a whole lot! When turning it upside down and having it as far away as the RCA cables allowed the noise is almost gone! Wow!

So what is the problem here? I'd love to have the tank kept inside the amp for obvious reasons.

RJLII

Maybe shielding? You might try reaching out to TGP member PaulC (Paul Cochrane) and getting his take. He designed the amp. I hear he's good about responding. Or you could call him 615-896-8555

Trending Topics