Heritage Victory vs Brono Cowtipper 22

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ledfut80, Jul 13, 2006.

1. ledfut80

ledfut80 Member

Hi,
    I've been pretty much a lurker here. Mainly because there is so much information flowing here that I haven't had a lot to add. So, Im appealing to all you TGP'ers with your vast knowledge.

I was wondering if anyone has AB'ed a Heritage Victory and a Bruno CT 22. I've played a Victory combo and am very impressed with the tone. I really liked the bright switch and it takes pedals very well. It really starts to sing nicely when pushing the volume to about 11-12 o'clock.

How do these amps compare (if at all)?

There are no Bruno dealers near here, so there's not much of a chance that I'd ever get to try one out.

As a background, I'm a weekend warrior in a classic rock band and play mainly small clubs. I usually gig with my Koch Twintone (yes, I really like this amp).

I always look for the clean side of amps, since I like to use pedals. I prefer 6L6/6V6 type tones over EL34/84's. I don't dislike them at all, I just prefer the Fender type tone with my bluesy style of playing.

I've been out trying several different amps (Shiva, several Fenders, etc), but so far this Victory has 'spoken to me'.

Joe

2. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    i hear ya on the Vic, bud. maybe there's someone near you who has a CT22 that'll let you audition it. i've never heard/played one myself.

:cool:

3. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Nothing beats a Cow, but if the Vicky speaks to you, thats about as good as it gets! If you can not try a Cow, grab the Vicky. Nothing wrong with second best. :p

Here is a clip of the Cow 45. The 22 is EXTREMELY close, but with a little more hair on the notes from the 6V6s. If you like this clip, you will flip for a tipper. :AOK http://www.brunoamps.com/sweet2.ram

4. ledfut80

ledfut80 Member

Thanks Tag! That tone is really sweet!

I think it may be that 'little more hair' that has me likin' the 6V6s.

I may order the Cowtipper without playing it first. Not sure I want second best! :)

5. 57special

57special Member

I've owned both a CT22 and a Heritage Victory. I have also own/have owned other amps by both Heritage and Bruno.

-The CT 22 has a great reverb, beautiful, lush, cleans that use a BF tone as a starting point. Unlike a BF, the highs don't get as shrill. Cleans are a bit richer and more 3D than on the Victory.

-The Victory has an excellent reverb, and cleans that are sort of a cross between a tweed bassman and a BF. They are very, very good, a bit leaner and more steely than the Bruno. The EQ allows you to dial in, or out, a lot of mids if you wish.

The CT's all seem to take pedals extremely well.

The Victory is one of the only amps i've played that takes pedals just as well, if not better.

If you turn up the Victory, you get a nice bluesy crunch, especially if play with the mids.

The CT's don't crunch as well. I just don't think they are designed to do that.

The Victory has some handy external bias points , the CT doesn't.

Paul Cochrane's customer service is extraordinary. He has called me up with tweaks , suggestions, and basically just to see if I was happy.

Tony Bruno will only deal with you through intermediary's. Some are very good (i.e. Ken Volpe at Ultrasound).

The Victory can be had for about $1550 brand new (street price).

The CT22 is about $2500 if you go with a non custom 1x12 combo.

Both quality amps!

6. CNOTE

CNOTE Member

That's the Cowtipper -- and everthing is true!

Great Description of the Heritage too.

57 Special dialed in on that review.

TAG-- I hope your having a good Summer. Call me when you get a chance!

7. lv

lv Supporting Member

Great comparison, thanks.

8. Luke

Luke Senior Member

If you are going to purchase an amplifier unheard, get it used. Let someone else absorb the original purchase depreciation. It maybe worth a drive, train or bus ride, to a place that has the amp you want to play so you can hear it before exposing yourself to a $1,000 depreciation curve of selling an amp you purchased new.

9. ledfut80

ledfut80 Member

What a great description! Thank you!

If I go with the Victory, I would probably go with the head/112 cab. It's a little over $1900. Prices keep going up. I'm expecting to purchase/order around the end of this month, so I'll keep my eye out for used amps.

Joe

10. Tag

I just want to make it clear I have not personally played the Victory. I am totally in love with my Brunos, and my amp search is over. Try both together in an A/B situation if at all possible........ The clip I posted is a perfect example of the Brunos tones, so if you can not play one, you can safely rely on that clip. If you get the Bruno, order it with the bright and mid switches. The mid switch you only will use once in a great while, but it is REALLY cool for Dumble like drive tones with a Fulltone II. :AOK

11. Tag

I just want to say that my Cowtipper 22 crunches like crazy. I have played 5-6 of them at least, and everyone has been the same way. If anything, it breaks up TOO early for *me*, and that is why I favor the Cow 45. I like the Crunch tones on the Cow 22 FAR more than my 66 Pro reverb, Vibrolux, or old Super reverb, if that helps.

12. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Amen to that!

13. mprvise

mprvise Member

That's what I was thinking. I've usually got my CT22 volume set about 2:30 - 3:00 and use the guitar volume to dial in more dirt as needed, with occasional boost from a COT50 (at about 11:00). And dimed the CT22 is awesome!

14. Tag

Shoot me your # again. I lose everything I touch. :mad:

15. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Keep your hands away from your...

...oh, never mind.

LOL!

16. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    good job, 57',

i can attest to the goodness of the Vic head + 1x12. played that way last night. love the Ch2 + FX loop, add'l tone controls & Focus for mids/neg. feedback. also, i got a custom 2x12 from Peter @ their cab shop & he does outstanding work. i noticed this a.m. that the Vic page has been updated w/new pix & info on the head

IMHO there's little->no chance you won't enjoy the heck outa whichever you get, so enjoy away...

:cool:

17. ledfut80

ledfut80 Member

Oh no! The reverb is replaced with a master volume. I'm greedy, I want both!

Joe

18. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

That has never stopped the real Tag. Who are you and what have you done with him? Return to your planet, pod person, your nefarious plan to infiltrate the earth has been thwarted.

19. PaulC

PaulC Member

Actually the reverb is replaced with a second channel that doubles as an FX loop for the first channel. It's a parallel channel, so you can use it to blend in your fx, use it as a channel that you can run on it's own, or blend with the first channel sense both channels are in phase for alot of tone options. There's even a trick to series both channels into each other using the FX loop for some high gain stuff.

When used as an FX loop the tone control can do some nice tricks like take the highs out of dig echos to warm them up.

spam filters back on...

PaulC
    Heritage amps/TIM & timmy pedals

20. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I've had Heritage and Bruno amps, both are great. I have had some issues with 3 of the 6 Brunos I've owned, bad pots, faulty switches, etc., things that are irritating on a super high end and expensive amp. These were new amps, not used BTW. Living out west it is tough to have to box up an amp and send it to NY to get repaired.

I have owned 40+ high end amps over the last 4 years and the Brunos were the only ones that had problems. Just my 2 cents. Not trying to start anything, but I don't feel real confident of the build quality. I actually stopped bringing them to gigs because of the inconsistancy.