Heritage Victory- who's played one?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 57special, Oct 7, 2005.

1. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

And how does it compare to the usual suspects- original BFDR's, Tone King's, Carr Ramblers, Fargen Blackbirds, Bruno CT22? I've heard the cab is pretty big, taller than a BFDR's, which can be good for sound, but not for the "grab and go" deal. I know they make a Lobo, which has a smaller cab... wonder if they'd stuff it into a Lobo cab? Or just do a head?
    I've heard the Colonial is a terrific amp, and at least one person on this board raves about his Patriot and Victory... but would like to know before i jump in. Can anybody recommend a Heritage dealer? I would have to be getting it sent to me, as there is nobody near me.
    Hey Paul C.! Feel free to jump in on this one. NOBODY that i am aware considers you a spammer, and there is building interest in your amps.

2. 57special

Travis- do you work at a store, or have a line on the amps? i've called two dealers so far, and they know nothing, or are dragging their ass getting back to me. I just thought i'd do some research before i break down and get another Fender DR (for about the 8th time), which i will sell after about a year because of "BF ennui".
    I've heard raves about the Colonial from the Fla. guys.

3. 58gasman

58gasman Member

I played a Victory a couple of weeks ago in San Jose. Great amp! Very nice feel to it .

Heritage is making some great amps.

4. 57special

I've probably owned about 30 BF or early SF amps over the years... I obviously like some of what they can do for me, but tire of what they cannot. I would also like to hear an amp that does similar things, but with weaknesses that i am more able to live with.

5. 57special

Can you liken it to anything? Deluxe Reverb, I guess, or perhaps something else?

6. theHoss

theHoss Member

In CO there is http://www.guitarx.com Gary is a Heritage dearler, not sure if that helps. I have a liberty on that way from him. Can't wait to get it, I was looking at the victory as well, and still might get it? As for the Brit, a great amp, haven't pushed it to break up, but clean and chimey.....that might be next on the list.

Let me know if you have had any experience with the Liberty

7. gregory70

gregory70 Supporting Member

I can't believe I missed this thread... Have a Victory and Patriot and absolutely love them both. The Victory in particular sounds like it was made for Strats. Don't have a lot of time right now, but I'd be happy to talk to anyone on the phone about these fine amps. PM me for more info.

8. 57special

Hey Greg, i pulled the trigger on the Victory at your store. Aaron was very easy to deal with... he mentioned that you had been in between my phonecalls . The phonecall with you was very helpful .... in getting me to empty my wallet !
    I've also scored a Lobo used, so if the Victory doesn't copletely kick it's butt it's going back. I REALLY like the Lobo .... very nice cleans, and surprisingly GREAT low gain blues/rock sound when turned up, and all in a very small package. I'll probably do a review on both of them once i get them together, and play them through the same enclosures.
    Is Heritage the next up and coming amp manufacturer out there? Unlike the small one off guys, they've already got a long established dealership network in place, at least one great design/tech guy in Paul C, and seemingly, a terrific , useful amp lineup. I've heard nothing but raves about the Colonial, also heard the Briton is a tone machine, and if the Victory is a step up from the Lobo (already a very good amp) it's gotta be a winner also.
    Some pretty nice competition for the Rambler , Tone King and Fargen.

9. gregory70

gregory70 Supporting Member

Hey that's great news! I really hope you like it! Lemme know whatchoo think!

G

10. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

A good friend of mine called me out of the blue last night to excitedly tell me about "one of the best amps ever!". That afternoon he got to play a Colonial and was knocked out at the tone and versatility.

11. 57special

[​IMG]

Hope this works... anyway, if it does, these are the Victory and Lobo. Both are dual 6V6 with recto tube that put out about 20 watts. The Victory is a really good, maybe terrific (don't want to get all poetic, i've only had the thing 2 days) version of of a Deluxe Reverb, though it is more versatile. SUPERB cleans and reverb, and decent crunch, especially when one plays with the 'Focus" control, which allows one to add or subtract mids, in addition to the Mid and Bass controls. Lots of tight bottom end, unlike a BFDR. Loves pedals.
    The Lobo is a similar, but with less features. They are made exclusively for Jay Wolfe (Lobo / Wolfe, get it?), Heritage's largest dealer, and was described to me as a nice, sparkley, little jazz amp . Not that accurate of a description, IMO, uness i have an oddball. I would use the Victory for any clean type thing unless size was an issue, though the Lobo does have a nice clean sound- the Victory's are just better, as is the verb. What the Lobo does , unexpectedly, is pump out a mid-rangey crunch when turned up. Imagine a hot sounding Brown Deluxe with reverb. Very sweet distortion sounds!

12. 57special

[​IMG][/URL]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [/IMG]

Eureka!?

13. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

OK..I'm good FRIENDS w/ Paul - that said.. I had my 64 AC-30 ( the BEST of 5 that I've had ) at Heritage and the new Briton bettered it. It could do what my JMI could do - AND a lot more. I bought a Briton / Sold the JMI

I have several friends that have bought the Colonial and have felt that it made their vintage Marshalls somewhat obsolete

Please note - that the COLONIAL is Paul C's baby - possibly followed by the Briton. The Victory and other models are one's he "improved on" but I dont think was part of from the ground up

The Colonial and Briton models KILL:dude

14. 57special

I don't think there is any point in comparing the Victory/Lobo/Patriot with the Colonial or Briton. Different designs for different uses. I hope to play a Briton and a Colonial someday, but right now I'm not looking for that sound.

15. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    what are the cabs sizes for the the Briton combo and the head? and how much are they going for?

:cool:

16. lv

lv Supporting Member

57, how does it compare to the Bruno?

17. theHoss

theHoss Member

I just ordered a Liberty.....it should be here Wed. I am looking at getting a Britton. You can get a pretty good deal at www.guitarx.com on a britton combo. I think it is about $2100, but it has a little blem on the front Tolex, so I think Gary would do it a bit cheaper? I'm not sure how much the head cab version of the Briton II is? I am guessing somewhere in the $2600ish range becase of the Celestian Blues.....but I really have no idea, I just know that the store up the street has a good price on the Briton combo going on.

18. 57special

Lou,
    almost as good cleans and reverb (very, very nice) , with more ability to throw away the mids because of the extra EQ options. Sounds good with just about everything, but especially strats. Lots of highs, but not shrill like a BFDR. Not quite as pretty as the CT's in the highs, and it sounds a bit less lush, but i like the bass on the Heritage better. Less boomy, unless you really try to set it up that way.
    One thing it has over the CT is a nice crunch when the amp is dimed. Nothing crazy, sorta like a BFDR turned all the way up, but w/o the farts and belches.
    Like the Bruno, it LOVES pedals.
    It's also a grand less than a CT 22, there are two stores in your area (at least) that stock them, and they give a 48 hour, no questions asked, money back return policy.
    There's a guy on the board in the Chicago area who has one, btw.

19. RonH

RonH Member

These post are killing me. I have a Victory on order now and can't wait to get it here. Mine will be a little different though. It is a custom job and being built as the Head version of the combo and comes with an FX loop instead of reverb like the Briton II. I was also informed that it will have a master volume, also like the Briton. Hopefully, it will be ready in the next couple of weeks.

Ron

20. PaulC

PaulC Member

Hey guys,

Just wanted to say a few things about the victory. first thanks for all the kind words! This is one of the amps I designed for the company, and I'm proud of it! It's not based on a deluxe. It's sort of a strange AC50 meets Bassman with 6v6's. I wasn't going for a deluxe type of amp, but something with a little bit of voxy grind and bassman warmth in a small box. The combo has verb, but the head version has a second channel that's sort of based on the 18 watt marshall thing that is in parallel and in phase with the normal channel. You can blend the two together. Also the 2nd channel can double as a parallel FX loop for the normal channel. this is the same setup that's used on the head version of the Briton amp. I'm working on a 4x6v6 version to have ready by the winter NAMM show.

thanks again for the kind words!

Later, PaulC
    Heritage amps