Hermida 112 open back VS Hermida front port

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Sean French, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

I will need another 112 cab soon.Since I've never owned a front ported cab before I would appreciate some input.For the past several years I've been using my TR standard 112 open back cab.
    What does the front ported Hermida bring to the table that the open back Hermida does not and visa versa?
    Strengths and weaknesses of both?
    The amps I'll be using are my OD-2 and incoming Bludo.

2. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

They are both great cabs. The closed and ported hermida gives you more bottom thump and a more focused lead tone which carries very well while the open back is more transparent and has better spread at closer distances. Arguably the cleans on the open back will be sweeter since it'll capture some of the vibe of a "fender" combo cab which we've all come to associate with a clean sound. The closed back is also more efficient and increases the power handling capacity of the speaker.

3. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I have both...I like both-using Scumbacks of course.The low end is incomparable with the ported cab.The sound is similar to that of a 4x12 cab,in terms of the type of low end it produces...I use an H55-8HP in the cab.

4. BudLite

BudLite Supporting Member

I think the hermida w/ a EV12L is a great cab. I tried the RW& B and the Cele.G12-65 and with that cab...The ev is it, the clean sound sustained more with the EV, a bit Carltonesque....I agree w/ Jack about the bottom thump.
    Sean, What speaker do you prefer in your TR 1x12 standard?

5. Sean French

I liked the G12-65 and Scumback M75 100 watter best tone wise.
    However,both had cone cry issues.
    So,I've stuck with the TR12-65 which is good a loud volumes.
    I'm really interested in the ASW 70hz.
    The only experience I've had with EV speakers is the 100 watt Dumble combo I played a few years back.

6. BudLite

I really like the TR-1265, I thought it sounded great all volumes.
    The EV is a great speaker that works well w/ D-clones, some folks
    think that if a D-clone doesn't sound good w/ a EV,..somethings lacking.
    I am going to try Hermidas 2x12 open back, w 2 16ohm TR 12-65's,
    For a 1x12 I am still undecided...

7. Sean French

Thanks.
    Does one tend to be louder than the other?

8. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

In a word,yes.The open back has the H75-8HP in it,tends to be a little louder from a volume stand point.It has a significantly more vocal tone to it,as well.I think that the propensity of the Pre-Rola is that way,from an audio physics stand point.It seems to do the 'woody tone' a little more than the 55...nice with an LP.

9. scottl

scottl Member

Woohoo! My findings exactly. We totally agree. I tried these very speakers in mine too and greatly prefer the EVM. No surprise as the cab is designed around the Thiele parameters of the EVM.

10. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

I just recently had cone cry issues with a brand new Eminence RWB, but cured it completely by pummeling the speaker at 100W with a guitar loop for 5 hours. Overall tone was much sweeter too. Went through the same experience with British G12H-30s. With my Heritage G12-65s (in a Port City 2x12), I didn't even bother to listen to them until after the high power break-in. After that, they were gorgeous. So, I go through this with all new speakers.

Point is, don't give up on any speaker, or even evaluate it, until you put it through at least a 4 hour, high power break-in!

11. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

You mean your beloved Heritage G12-65s were dethroned by the EVM-12L? Tell me it's not so!

:eek:

12. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Sean, I have the ASW 70 hz speaker in a Port City OS 1x12 and it has zero cone cry and sounds incredible. I have another OS 1x12 coming tomorrow and I have an EV I'll throw in that to completely compare both. I also have a PC 2x12 OS coming tomorrow and I have two ASW speakers to put in that. I'll let you know the differences in tone b/t the EV and ASW.

13. Sean French

Point taken.
    The original G12-65's I owned also had cone cry issues in my 112 cab with my TR amps.
    These were pulls I kept after selling my Marshall 412 cab years ago.
    They were pounded for years when I had my 100 watt Plexi.
    I've been told that the flimsy frames Celestion used was the main cause and they should only be mounted a bit more than finger tight.
    Don't know if it's true or not as I got rid of all my Celestions before hearing this.

14. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

Hmmm.....I haven't noticed any of this with the reissues. Well, just tryin' to be helpful. I guess in my cases, it was just the stiffness of the brand new cones that had to be loosened up a little. I'm not sure how the frame, even if skimpy, could cause cone cry, but who knows?

15. scottl

scottl Member

Ok. It is not so! I said that my fave speaker for the small EVM Thiele port box is the EVM. My fave cabs are my ported backs with the G1265. However, if I use the Hermida Thiele cab, it sounds best with the EVM to me. This tight clean tone has its useful place btw. Really nice sounding box.

16. BudLite

:roll:rollSee we agree on things!!! :BEER This bud's for you..
    In regards to the G12-65 cele. I have bought this speaker a couple times and tried it in almost all my amps. The greatest success w/ this speaker for me is when I had them in a Glaswerks 2x12 cab. They sounded nice. I am starting to come to the conclusion that the Cele.12-65 does not sound that great in a 1x12 application. Not sure though...

17. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I'm very curious about the ASW speakers, especially the Alnico model. Do you have one of those? How do they compare to Celestion Golds, or other higher powered Alnico speakers. Please inform us, as there is little to no info about these speakers from users, other than "they're great"!

18. trap

trap Supporting Member

don't be telling me that s#*t!! i'm putting a cele 1265 in it! and it will sound great! vash ish dish EVM ?? the fuhrer never said EVM??:crazyguy

19. Sean French

Had a Heritage as well.Same issue.
    I'm told the frame is not very sturdy.So,when one is bolted down tight(over tight) in the cab this can cause the frame to bend/distort which can cause the speaker cone to vibrate in a way which cause cone cry or other anomalies.
    Again this was told to me and I don't know if it's true or not.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  20. Sean French

Paul,
    Thanks for the info on both cabs.
    I enjoyed talking on the phone with ya.
    It's great to be able to meet and make new friends here on TGP.:AOK
    Talk to ya soon.