Hermidapalooza ~~ Nu-valve/Zen2/Mos4

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Don Rusk, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

Zendrive 2 ~ Nu-Valve ~ Mosferatu 4knob pic

Alf takes over my board !!

The Zen 2 is now Gainsters I think ( it has the tube he preferred in it still )

The Nu Valve is Alfs ( and touched by Santana I hear so its goin in Alfs' museum Im sure ;) )

And the 4 knob Mos is mine (I still have a regualr Mos that I Donnerboxed too)

This will be a good comparison as the three pedals have the same knob compliment....

Ive really enjoyed the 4Mos so Ill use it for comparison first before any other pedals get sized up.....

My first blush at this set of pedals ~ my '15 minutes in a music store' sort of review.....:

Ive dug everyone of Alfs pedals Ive played, the Grinder, Mos and Mos2 and Zendrive, But the Mos4 is what I ended up preferring - I traded my Zendrive and retired the DonnerMos and have used the 4 mos for these type sounds now...

The Mos is a great singing lead pedal for me and thats usually the way I use it, tho with the added voice control it has a much wider useful range, especially backing off the voice , the tone control gives a much wider range of enjoyable tones --- usualy on the Mos the tone always was above 4 oclock......

What struck me first after playing these three against each other is that in searching for comparisons - I was leaning more toward Amp sounds than pedals for comparison tones.....

The Z2 is the 'biggest' sounding of the three, at times reminding of a cranked Blackface Twin I wish I had back (dont we always) and at other points it has the dynamics of a Hiwatt strong and bold.... maybe overall reacting more like Power tube distortion...

The Nu Valve reminds me more of a pushed Vox with the tasty saturation and easy distortion and bass rolloff that make it easy to cut thru and still plenty of sustaining grind....and at higher gain levels even somethig more like a small Supro or one of those Silvertone piggyback Twins

and they stack well, getting a good overall sound from the Z2 and running the Nu into it for a more saturated grind and lead sound,

same with the M4 into the Z2 a great lead push....

I will try and review them thru the next few days , and work in some other pedals for comparison...

I can easily hear both pedals having thier uses and even tho they are both 'tube' pedals they are pretty different sounding.... nice palette of tones here.... thanks Alf

2. eric-d

eric-d Member

I wanna Nu-Valve....:(

3. The Gainster

The Gainster Member

Did you compare the tubes yet? :)

4. Seegs

Seegs Member

I also want a Nu-valve...

Any of you guys know what the street price is and when they'll be avaliable??

Chow,
    Seegs

5. Don Rusk

No not yet, this is just a first taste report, I like to keep track of what I think of it over a few days......

Ill dig out my pre tubes stash and see what happens.....;)

6. guitarman_1

guitarman_1 Silver Supporting Member

Great pedals! I have all of them too. Im very lucky to have Alf close to me, and as a great friend too. I love the Zen2 and
    Nu-valve. In fact the Nuvalve has been my go to pedal for a while.
    Its not as smooth as the zendrive, but it has a unique hi fi quality to it. You can hear all the notes in a chord when hit hard, and the dynamics are killer.
    Anyways enuff babbling.
    Im fairly certain the price is going to be around 249.00 each.
    The Nu-valve might be a limited production pedal.

Later.

O
    :)

7. Don Rusk

....well In playing this threesome with some esteemed company sharing the board over the last few days....

the Nu and the 2 stand tall with the cream of the crop.....

One thing that stood out was that both of these tube pedals dont have that 'saturated softness' that most tube pedals have , they DO have the complex distortion, but Alf reigned them in just short of getting mushy, the only Tube pedal I ever kept was/is the old Blue Tube and its more of a fat booster than a distortion device anyway....usually tubes in pedals doesnt quite work for me...

These 2 split the difference nicely , they generate a sound you can play like a good pedal and they also retain the response and natural feel that let them work with the amp rather than fighting it.....

I tried them with a Les Paul today and they held up just fine, not a big difference in handling from the Tele..... the Z2 especially held its shape,

Im also hearing more of a slight Fuzz Face sound with the Nu Valve, just in the density of the distortion and that slightly bloated/saturated bottom of a a good FF, but with out losing its definition......

both interesting pedals - Im still finding nuances.....

8. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

My 4 knob Zendrive and Mosferatu pedals have antiquated EVERYTHING else I have. I could live with these till the end of my days. That said, am I missing something here? Do I need a nu valve?? or??

jon

9. Don Rusk

Its all about flavors and options, how much variety do you want...;)

10. bluesdoc

Donner, the two that I have seem like plenty. :confused: But that doesn't quell curiosity....... ;)

jon

11. Don Rusk

ok jon , well if your diggin the Z1 and M4, then Im pretty sure you would enjoy these two new ones as well... they are sort of more ampish versions of the 'Hermida sound'.... the Zen and Mos always struck me as aggressive lead pedals, by the EQ and compression selected for t hem......

the Z2 and Nu have more of an all around 'love my amp' sound.....

not radically different but kind of the difference between a really good pizza and a great one ; its more in the balance (zen) and presentation of the ingredients ....

12. bluesdoc

Got it, Donner. Time for a chat w/ Alf :)

jon

13. Don Rusk

sounds like a plan --- and ask Alf how Spiderman is fairing ;)

14. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

I have always thought about getting a Zendrive, but I already have a FD2 and a Keeley TS9dx. I really like the D***** type sound and I usually use the FD2 in vintage mode for that. So, my question is if the Zendrive will offer me a unique enough of sound to warrant a purchase as there is nowhere close that I can try one out.

I've heard so many great things about the Zendrive that it makes me want one, but unfortunately for a poor college student, I have to limit my spending. Thanks!

Brett

15. Don Rusk

Cool beans... well I got to spend another week with these peds before t hey go to thier respective homes.....

and it was good to confirm my findings with all my guitars and some speaker switching,,,,,,

The three pedals together cover a wide range with enough in common to be useful as a group but not enough to be redundant....

the Mos/Zen cover the singing pedal overdrive sounds and the two tube varieties take on more of the natural amp sound with more transparent dynamics and EQ....

3 thumbs up Alf !!! Leave the porch light on Nu-V's comin home :cool: ~~~~ and thanks G , remember no good deed goes unpunished :D

16. Don Rusk

17. jpagey

jpagey Member

I'd say so. I have a 1996 and 1997 FD2, as well as a KeeleyTS9DX Flexi and I use the ZD with one of those pedals. The ZD sounds completey different to my ears than a ts type epdal--even ones as good as the Keeley and FD2. So yes, the ZD is unique enough to warrant a purchase.

18. OOG

OOG Member

being tube driven
    what type of power supply do the Nu Valve and the Zen 2 require?

19. Don Rusk

just standard 9v like a Boss.. which is nice....;)