He's baaaacckkk - Bob McBroom, the McFuzz Jr. and an assorted cast of characters

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by infiniteposse, May 3, 2008.

1. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Member

Hi all-

My buddy Tom up the street placed a random call to Bob McBroom the other day to ask some questions about the availability of the Hellbilly, as he'd read great things about it. They got to talking and Bob offered to send up a prototype of his new improved McFuzz Jr, formerly the Hellbilly, for Tom to check out! Tom got the pedal yesterday and we did some listening. I was smitten immediately and took it home to play with it some more and I'm in love.

This pedal rocks. This is a refinement of the original design using a recently discovered stock of lower-gain NOS NPN Silicon chips Bob's gotten a hold of and they sound amazing. To use his own words, "Very smooth on the top and bottom. Breaks up nicely when pushed."

I've been listening to a wide array of Fuzzes all month long and I'm really impressed with the sound, feel and versatility of the pedal. It's the sort of pedal you could leave on the board and never change a setting on or change it to sound completely different whenever needed. The Fuzzface side is glorious and big and the Rangemaster side is cutting, but not annoyingly so. Virtually every setting I've used just sounds right.

The good news is that these will be available soon for the masses as Bob's getting geared up to roll out his wares again. The better news is he's also introducing 2 more pedals he just told me about.

One is a RAT-based pedal he's been working with and gigging with for some time now that he's super excited about. He's recently hit the mother-load of Motorola LM308's and he said he's actually got some of these pedals ready to go. The name of the pedal has yet to be determined as he wades through the many possible plays on RAT, but early candidates were "Animal" or "Beast." He was super enthused about this pedal.

The second new pedal he's come up with, called "Sky," is a Rangemaster-based design using a higher-gain/low noise Silicon chip he's recently come across. He says it kills as well.

Bob said he's in the process of getting a website in order for sales and the like, so I'd expect he'll be back in the mix shortly.

For full disclosure, I have no formal business relationship with Bob, I'm just appreciative of him trusting this killer pedal to Tom and I, complete strangers. It's a great way to do business and I couldn't be more excited about the McFuzz Jr. I should also add that I like it so much, I'm refusing to return his prototype, even without any silk-screening, so he's been kind enough to let me buy it:D Bwuhahahaha:Devil

I'll include some pics, despite the blank casing, because a thread without pics is useless as we all know.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

Bob & I became good friends and used to talk on the phone a lot but after a lot of crap that came down we lost contact. I am happy that this talented builder is choosing to doing what he does best build pedals. I will get one of dem rat ones 4-sho! Under the radar SSHH.

3. turtleheadblues

turtleheadblues Senior Member

Awesome glad to see this.

4. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

Hey Tony,

Aldo..........

5. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I knew he wouldn't stay away forever! This is good news.

And having a new HellBilly-ish pedal is icing!

6. tapeup

tapeup Butterscotch Supt. Member Gold Supporting Member

Where can I find info on his offerings, past and present?

7. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Biggus Bearfootus Vendor

Well start with www.pedalworx.com
    Really glad to see Bob back at it !!!!

8. erksin

erksin Member

Lee -

I had a Hellbilly once upon a time, great pedal. I use my Screw Driver now in very much the same way I used it then. I'd love to hear the new one...

We need to do a Screw Driver/Hellbilly/ODB taste test some day soon!

9. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Very good news. The hellbilly is a great pedal as is the TTS and TPT.

10. carltonh

carltonh Member

I have both the ODB and Hellbilly and have compared them in other threads, but haven't got to try the Screwdriver yet. By sound clips, I'd guess the Hellbilly has more of the Fuzz Face range than the Screwdriver, but the Screwdriver can get much smoother. Can it also get sort of the COT 50 type low gain tone?

11. erksin

erksin Member

Yeah, it can do the CoT50 thing only a little more body to it - that's why I sold my CoT.

From memory, the Hellbilly was actually smoother sounding than the Screw Driver - the HB having more of a Muff-style fuzz tone and the SD being more like the FF.

12. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

I have the Hellbaby which was a real under the radar boost/drive pedal. The Mcfuzz I have is a great pedal that can do OD, Fuzzface tone and can get into the beginnings of big muff land. I am stoked and have already contacted George and spoke with Bob's brother. Hope to hear from Bob soon. I still have his Neo Drive wicked little box. :drink

13. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

This is good news!

I have played the Hellbilly, Bent, Slowburn, and McSqueeze - all excellent.

Bob is on the top of my favorite pedal makers list.

14. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Bob is an awesome guy. I'd love to have him look at my HellBilly to see if it's typical for that lot. I hear great things about the HB: FF tones, COT low gain, I'll be damned if I can find any of that to a great extent.

Mine is a Donnerbox that I won't sell. Maybe I'll have to pull this out, yet again, for a try on the board.

CarltonH/Erksin:
    Share your settings/placement, etc??
    Thanks!!

15. erksin

erksin Member

Billy -

It's been at least two years since I had my Hellbilly, but I definitely remember it to be more Big Muff flavored for the Fuzz stuff rather than Fuzz Face. That's why I ran it 100% of the time around the treble booster side of the Tone control (like 2-3:00 I wanna say?).

16. brianf

brianf Member

What patch cables are in the photo? They sure have some girth to them.

brianf

17. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

McFuzz Jr. = Hellbaby? or No?

18. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

Bob just E. mailed me. Things are gonna be rockin again soon. Yeah Pedalworx!!!!:BEER

19. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I just had a thought - why not name the new fuzz The SOB - as in "Son of 'Billy?"

But I bet that name has been used before...

20. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

Just got off the phone with him. The Rat clone is gonna be called The Animal or Beast. He gigs with one right now and gets the John Scofield tone.:band