hexaphonic guitars

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by riffanvil, Mar 20, 2008.

1. riffanvil

riffanvil Member

i build solid body and chambered solid body electrics and hexaphonic combos (hex and mag). any one else out there building hexaphonic guitars? maybe this isn't the forum topic to start a discussion of midi/hex output guitars, but i'd like to meet others that like guitar synth and composite object sound modeling (COSM) as roland likes to call some of their gear.

btw even though i build expensive electric guitars i don't consider myself a luthier and have a high degree of respect for acoustic instrument builders.

2. PFCG

PFCG Member

breedlove uses the rmc system, as well as parker in the adrian belew model.

3. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Yes, plenty.

Mass-produced makers:

Fender (Roland Ready Strat)
    Godin
    Brian Moore
    Switch

Small Builders who will put on hex pickups upon customer request:

Too many to list

The only builder not named Gibson that makes a Firewire guitar: Rolf Spuler

Rolf's article introducing his Firewire guitar technology

Polybass for the Firewire Guitar

4. riffanvil

riffanvil Member

thanks for the info. i guess my question was misleading. i attend namm in anaheim every year and have kept up with the big guys making hex guitars. when i said is there anybody out there building them, i meant members and readers here on the gear page. i am interested in a dialog with small builders. i am a very small fish interested only in providing what mass production cant. a little bit of me goes into each guitar. actually i don't know any small electric builders here in mexico other than traditional luthiers who make traditional classical guitars. they are several hundreds of miles away. this forum is a chance for "et to call home".

i have developed a few tricks since i started building hex guitars (all 13 pin output using midi to synth conversion as the purpose of a hex guitar). i have flatwound ss wrap strings made to my specs by a partner company and have found they greatly reduce erroneous noises and "quacks" caused by conventional strings (among other causes).

the firewire concept is interesting, especially if it gets to the midi conversion stage. it sounds like they are very close if they already have hexaphonic output.

5. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Yes, Rolf Spuler's Firewire guitar design allows for both hardware interfacing with existing guitar-MIDI technologies (Roland, Axon) and software guitar-MIDI conversion. He is also considering his own hardware guitar-MIDI conversion via onboard electronics. He is very ambitious and daring for such a small builder.

I have no idea if he frequents this forum, though.

6. riffanvil

riffanvil Member

do you have any first hand experience with his guitars? i would like to see something that gets the cable hookup for the guitar to get simpler and have more options. there is currently only one unused pin (wire) in the 13 pin cables, and using a computer (or chip) as part of the interface opens LOTS of new possibilities for small builders like me. with laptops as cheap as some of the guitar synth gear it opens up limitless possibilities for savy players too. the 13 pin technology has been great to get the ball rolling but it is time to make a more universal interface. the firewire interface is exciting progress in a positive direction.