Hey Aardvark Q10 users ........HELP!

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by straticus, Dec 29, 2005.

1. straticus

straticus Member

I installed a new second hard drive (for wave files only) in my computer last night and afterwards the short cut on my deck top to the Aardvark Q10 control panel didn't work. This happened once before, out of the blue, but re-installing the Q10 software solved the problem.

No such luck this time. For one, there's no setup.exe on the Aardvark CD-rom. Don't know what happened to it, it's just not there anymore. I double clicked on the y2kupgrade icon and it seemed to install the control panel with out the .dll file. So moved the .dll file into the folder. Then I get a "no Aardvark card found" message.

I'm going to try removing the card and doing a set up from scratch but in the mean time, and since Aardvark no longer exists, are there any forums dedicated to Aardvark anymore? I did a google search but came up empty.

Thanks for any help!

BC :)

2. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

I bought a Q10 a year before Aardvark went under, and my CD had the 7.0 drivers on it. There were two more driver upgrades after that, the 7.04 & the 7.13. Both can be found here:

http://asg.hopto.org/

The newer drivers are packaged with an installer. If your problems persist, report back with more information, like the DAW software being used, version of Windows, and details on what is happening.

3. straticus

straticus Member

Thanks Tim,

I know about that place and I have the 7.04 drivers. I was using them prior to my problems.

I'm running a PC with WinXP and Samplitude 7.2 Pro.

I tried removing the card, re-booting, shutting down, re-installing the card and re-booting. Still nothing. I keep getting a "No Aardvark Cards found in system" message when I try to open the control panel. But here's something else that's weird, Windows didn't seem to notice when I re-installed the card. Also, when I tried checking my playback and recording devices in Samps system information window, not only did the Aardvark not show up but neither did anything else. Usually there's a SoundMax or something like it that shows up there. This time it's blank, showing no in or out devices whatsoever. So it seems like windows isn't seeing any of the audio devices. They do show up in the windows device manager though and they don't show any problems there.

Man, I'm really getting frustrated. Any ideas?

BC

4. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

Strange........

Check in the control panel/sound devices folder and see if either the Q10 or the Soundmax is activated within. Sounds like the devices are deactivated somewhere. Have you checked the BIOS?

5. straticus

straticus Member

Thanks again Tim,

Just checked and everywhere I look (control panel > audio devices, device manager, etc.) it says the Aardvark is enabled and working properly.

The one odd thing I noticed was that in Control Panel > Audio devices > Volume Tab > it says there's no playback device. Under the Audio tab > Playback device, the drop down menu only shows inputs 1 & 2 of the Aardvark. It's used to show all in and outs, 1 through 10. Also, if the Aardvark is selected as the playback or recording device the volume and advanced buttons become deactivated. But if I choose the SoundMax the volume button becomes active.

This is getting strangerer and strangerer.;)

I haven't been in the BIOS. I've been in there before with help but I forget how we got there. Plus, I wouldn't know what to look for.

BC

6. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

I show no audio device selected either. The XP volume control is nuked when the Q10 is selected due to it having its own card manager/volume control.

The "ins & outs" are soundcard channels. Under "Audio" the sound playback & sound recording channels should be set at 9&10, and that's why you're getting no sound. It looks like the Q10 drivers have crashed or did not install properly. You need to uninstall the drivers using the Aardvark utility and reinstall them--make sure you reboot. If that doesn't do it, I suggest uninstalling the drivers, deleting the driver package/utility and downloading a fresh one from the site mentioned.

Note: there's a notorious problem Sonar users have had trying to work with the Q10 that requires the soundcard be disabled in the device manager before Sonar is installed. The problem lies with the Q10 drivers being unsigned/not approved by Microsoft. Once Sonar is installed the Q10 can be reactivated. Given the fact the drivers are absent in XP sounds, I doubt your software has anything to do with the problem, but if all else fails try disabling the Q10 and reinstalling everything.

7. straticus

straticus Member

Update: The SoundMax shows up in Samps system info dialog If I choose anything other then Asio drivers in Samp. So this problem seems to be an Aardvark issue.

I'be been using the Aark un-installer from the CD when ever I un-install the Aardvark files and I've been re-booting too. How do I delete the driver package/ utility and where would I find it?

During one of the install atempts I tried loading the 7.04 drivers that I downloaded from that site. But when I ckicked on the driver folder (it is unzipped) the "OK" button that allows me to select them for install de-activates ................... ??????

I'll tell you something Tim, I'm real close to giving up on this thing. I don't like using equipment that doesn't have direct support from the maker. The same thing happened when I bought the Seasound interface. Less than a year after I bought it they went under. So I sold it and bought the Aardvark. I've been looking at the PreSonus FirePod. Maybe PreSonus will stay around for a while. Do you have any feedback on the FirePod or any other suggestions about similar units? With you being a fellow Q10 owner maybe you've been looking around too.

Thanks again for your help with this. Hey, wanna buy a Q10?:rolleyes:

8. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

I've had nothing but driver issues with the Q10, but have learned the limitations and workarounds to the degree that I know what to do if the drivers crash. The setup utility is a program labled SETUP 7.04. It's 5 megs, and I would be glad to send it via email if you'll email me at GuitslingerTim AT yahoo DOT com.

9. straticus

straticus Member