Hey All, Im becoming more of an OD addict and fuzz is no longer a friend

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sssmile, May 20, 2006.

1. sssmile

sssmile Member

I have a ton of fuzz experiance. I had at one point a collection of about 25. I love fuzz, or shall I say loved fuzz. I could never get Germ. fuzzes to be consistant. Some nights they would be complete magic, but most nights they didnt sound too good. The Germ fuzzes also didnt seem to work well with other pedals. Silicone isnt bad, but silicone always in my opinion seem to lack that sustain they seem a little clunky for lack of a better word. I know they do have nice sustain but not as cool as a germ. So to sum it up I kind of got sick of the sound of fuzz, the loose flubby bottom thing really bothers me. The noise, the unpredictability, etc. I didnt sell them all off I still have a handful of good ones, but man o man overdrives are waking me up.

I have been playing around with a bunch and I find I can get sounds ranging from clean boost, slight od, medium od, distortion and predictable thick wall of sound fuzz. It seems that with a few OD's I am getting the same amount of gain as fuzz but with a better low end and better predictability and the OD's seem better at playing with other pedals.

OD's that I am using,
    Timmy for clean boost to mild OD
    Crowther Hotcake for boost and OD to higher gain stuff
    Menatone Red Snapper for clean boost to med OD
    Menatone Blue Collar for plexi crunch
    Emma Reezafratzitz for Med OD to High Gain Crunch

It seems with these pedals I am step into almost any tone, from clean to mean and its dependable. I dont miss fuzz because I am in that territory with some of these and it seems to be a better sound.

Does anyone else have similiar experiance?

OD is the New Fuzz

2. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

Yes. After years of chasing my favorite fuzz tones and finally finding them, I find myself using a boosted overdrive pedal more these days. I still prefer fuzz for leads though. I miss that extra bit of hair I can't get with the boost and overdrive. I change my mind like I change my underwear though...:NUTS For my fuzz tones I use a D*A*M MKII or a Marshall Supa Fuzz along with a Ibanez 9 series EQ. Overdrive/distortion is a Super Poblano Picoso hitting a Super Charged Overdrive. The boost/overdrive combo is quite fuzzy though, but like I said, lacks the extra bit of hair and "velcro" overtones I love about high gain fuzz.

3. blueprint

blueprint Member

Curious, I'm exactly in the opposite way...
    I have many OD's, but now I'm back to fuzzes. My sunface and white dragon are all I need for the moment.:)

4. Antero

Antero Member

The noise and unpredictability are the GOOD parts of the fuzz experience! :-D

5. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Dont forget that a truely GREAT fuzz rolled off at the guitar will sound like one hell of an overdrive (with that little bit of hair)!!! :dude

I have gone backwards and seem to be using my SYBIL fuzz more than anything else now.

6. retro

retro Member

Yeah the Sybil is a truly great fuzz that can go from od to fuzz without being wooly and jacking your amps eq. And the lead tones are haunting. No OD I've found can cop that tone.

7. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

My friends, you must try the BJF Pink Purple Fuzz. It is that smooth fuzz that you love with the utter controlability of an OD. It can feel like a Germ but with total predictability. Bjorn Juhl is a genius.

8. michael dukes

michael dukes Member

I've definitely moved away from overdrive and toward (mostly Germanium) fuzz over the past 2 or 3 years. Mostly I use the fuzzes in a way that most people probably wouldn't hear as fuzz. I have little tolerance for flubby bottom end either, and have settled on two primary fuzzes that allow you to roll off the bottom very effectively: the D*A*M Drag n Fly and a Divided By13 Stardust. this low-end rolloff ability is key for me now that I've experienced it. Given the choice between a low end or high end tone control on a fuzz, I'd take low end in a heartbeat.

9. ptdesign

ptdesign Handmade sonic art

So, take a little time off. Leave a good one on your board, then when the mood feels rite
    spread your legs ,hit the fuzz and blow the house down with a big s**t eating grin on your face. Aw yea, feels good don't it?!

10. drolling

drolling Member

OK- You've set yourself up w/five nice overdrives... That's a good start, but it's a slippery slope that can really carry you away - especially if you're hanging around here, where great new OD pedals are reviewed daily.

If you're into cascading gain stages, Timmy 'stacks' very well w/other pedals - you can use it to EQ and/or smooth out the sound of another overdrive, or to push it into saturated fuzz-like distortion.

Another of my favorite tricks is slamming a lo-medium gain OD w/a boost from a good compressor, like the Diamond opto comp. Just as an example, my BJF HoneyBee sounds like a completely different pedal if I push it hard enough w/the Diamond. The Xotic RC Booster's another pedal that can be very effectively used in this way. A clean boost after your OD's another way to get a lot more out of a pedal.

Although all od boxes are supposed to sound like power tube distortion, very few of them actually do to my ears, and the amp itself's always a big part of the equation. The two types of OD presently on my board are the chameleons that can be EQ'd to suit whatever rig you pair them with, and still produce a tone that sounds and feels like your amp breaking up. Timmy's very good at this.

The other type's less 'transparent', adding a colour of its own to your amp, but still producing a convincing, natural sounding drive tone. This variety seems to be far more common, with the above mentioned HoneyBee being my favorite.

I used to see fuzzes as fitting into one of three basic catagories; Fuzzface, Bigmuff or Tonebender, unless we're including octave fuzzes, in which case we've have to add the Foxtone and the Octavia.

But there are so many hip new designs flooding the market these days. I recently picked up an E13 Truly Beautiful Disaster that's really shaken up my notion of what a fuzz should sound like. I also just got a Sybil hybrid ge/si fuzz that has to be one of the most versatile pedals ever - at moderate settings, the ge side yields beautiful amp-like tones..almost like a clean treble boost.

So I'd be very interested to know which fuzzes you've decided to keep, as I've just begun a fuzz quest of my own, having burned-out on collecting overdrives.

11. retro

retro Member

Sybil is the only keeper so far for me...except I had to sell mine to figure that out, as I was on a fuzz quest also.

Hi Octone next.

12. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

After years of being an OD guy and basically thinking that fuzz was an outdated, cheesy and primitive attempt at artificial distortion I finally realized I wanted one. After doing a TON of research on fuzz with the intent of rolling my own I decided to go for the buildyourownclone fuzz kit.

The best part about the kit is that you can socket everything and tweak to your hearts content. Si, Ge or hybrid - your choice. Adjust treble, bass and gain to your satisfaction. I'll post a review when I find the sound I'm looking for.