Hey! All you Boss PS-3 owners!...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by russellstiltskin, Apr 26, 2016.

1. russellstiltskin

russellstiltskin Member

Hi guys! New to the forum. I've seen a handful of posts about the Boss PS-3 Pitch Shifter/Delay pedal on here, but I haven't seen anything regarding an issue I'm having with it. I just received mine several days back. It's a '94 model and in pretty good shape. Came from a veteran seller with perfect feedback on ebay.

Here's my problem: in modes 8, 9, and 10, when both the Pitch A and Pitch B knobs can control either Detune or Octave, unison pitch is supposed to be at 12 o'clock. However, on mine, on Pitch A, i'm not reaching unison until about 4 o'clock. This becomes pretty troublesome in mode 10 where Pitch A can span all of the semitones-- i have between about 4 and 5 o'clock to try to tune in all of these upper octave tones. It's so difficult to dial them in, and then once i'm there, it'll occasionally want to glitch and jump up or down a semitone. Pitch B is working the way it's supposed to, though.

Have any of you run across this issue? Is this something that's easily fixed? It seems, to me, like something is goofed up in the pot, or circuit itself. I really don't want to have to return this thing, because it's so effin' cool, and not easily found at a reasonable price. Gah.

2. King Rat

King Rat Member

If it's only on certain settings, then it sounds like something more than a Pot issue.

Just my two cents.

When you say return it? Did you buy it second hand from someone who wasn't aware of the problem? Or it happened in postage?

I would keep persisting, mess with it like look at it intensely and through desire will it back to proper working order, digital pedals aren't as easy to fix so a lot of effects repair people only do analogue.

I have picked them up for around $50-120usd a couple of times, depends ow desperate you need it for a sound right now. They come up you just need to keep your ear to the ground.

3. russellstiltskin

russellstiltskin Member

It doesn't seem like this type of problem could happen in postage. It was packaged very well. I feel like perhaps it was an easy issue to miss on the seller's end. It "works" and gets through all of the semitones, but not how it's supposed to.

Yeah, speaking of intense looks, I was giving the damn thing some real intense looks this evening as I was trying to record with it, and that Pitch A kept glitching out on me and jumping from the higher semitone I had set, to DOWN underneath unison to a random lower semitone. :mad: Such fun...

I'm not desperate for one. I just bought it, found immediate uses for it, and started coming up with song ideas. So, it'd be nice to have one around that works properly.

4. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

I have at least five of these thngs, and none exhbit that behavior.

Save yourself the hassle. Return it, and get another that works correctly upon arrival.

manasquanto likes this.
  5. russellstiltskin

russellstiltskin Member

Yeah, that's what I'm planning to do. It's a bummer.

6. manasquanto

manasquanto Member

Count me as another owner who never experienced that issue. Definitely return it.

7. russellstiltskin

russellstiltskin Member

I'm tryin' to! Hah! :(