Hey Budda heads ...I can't ignore this killer tone any longer

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ricker, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Ricker

Ricker Member

As alot of you know I'm a die hard Budda head........but I've recently been enjoying my koch multitone for some of the blues inbetween stuff I can coax out of it..........
    Anyway.........to use any amp head effectively in my band I need a good clean ..........some real good rocking gain............and some in-between stuff.I can do this with my sd80 but I need to use stomps........and they just don't sound quite like running the Budda sd80 rhythm channel real hot.
    We all know that the in-between stuff is the hardest to really get to sound good and more importantly to feel just right.

Anyway every now and again I set my budda sd80 head on rhythm channel with master just a bit below 12 o clock and every thing else at noon.............I remove my reverb from the loop and run it with nothing in there.............I plug straight into the amp..............no peddles at all..........I then use my Hotplate vol to taste thru my Bogner 2x12 closed back with v30..............
    If this is not the the best sound I've heard with my stock neck pup in my LP std then I don't know what is.............

The problem here is the Budda becomes an obscenely loud single channel amp that just does one thing great.

I need 3 sounds so I've never been able to gig wirth this sound........which is what I have been wanting to do for a long time .........anyway my tonebone headbone arrived today........but the power 120v for N America........so I will need to find another or convert one as it is an uncommon 15volts DC

Anyway I will soon get the chance to give this sound a live gig when I get this transformer sorted.:dude

But now I may need another sd80 for the gain and clean channels....................Godamn!!!!!!!!..............Double Damn!!!!!!!!

So who wants to buy a Bogner Shiva.......he he he

Anyway the koch is doing a great job........it's one hell of an amp..............but Budda sd80 owners .......just give the above a spin.................but make sure you have an attenuator.....as it kills small furry creatures at 20 yards.

Thought I'd share
    Cheers
    Rick

2. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

yo rick how are you dude :dude

im like you buddy, ive toyed around with some fx and even a wireless rig , but NOTHING comes close to my R9 plugged straight into the Hellcat thru my Cornford 2x12.

we did still got the blues at our last practice session / party which lasted to 4am in the morning :dude and friends who were there said the R9 / Cornford combination was just so "right" it was unreal , our drummer leapt across the room from behind the drum kit shouting "you play that song like that jimmy at these gigs coming up and (swear) (swear) (profanity) (swear some more) "

the handiness is that the Hellcat has the cleans to plexi to murder for and the sweetest reverb in one channel and high gain to flatten walls in the other, I wonder wny you aint checkin one out rick buddy , you would LOVE this amp head, the Cornford 2x12 with its V30s was the cab used to develop the Hellcat , Rick, its just so right, you gotta play one.

Im waiting on a Peavey 6505 , EVH 5150 mark 1 but in a different head now the EVH endorsement is complete , should have it in 3 weeks, its 120 tube watts and the scariest high gain you`ll hear, now this will be my main gigging amp , a real workhorse and more power and gain than ill ever need:dude :dude :dude

I figure you need, by what you say

Shimmerring Cleans with reverb

Medium Crunch

Heavy Crunch

Heavy Crunch with volume boost for soloing

Ever try a hughes and Ketner MK2 Triamp, very very cool Rick ?

Engl Powerball , a 4 channel Gain Monster with nice clean channel and in between medium drive sounds too , meticulous german build quality too.

Last but not least, the Diezel Herbert , real nice amp.

The Cornford Richie Kotzen 100 watter, man, thats a scary amp :dude

I wish you all the best with your tones rick, you are a superb player and your tones with yer beloved budda will be most welcome to my earholes.

I still think you should move the Shiva on my friend, I said ages ago, your heart aint in that amp and my view has not changed one bit.

keep us posted dude.

jimmy

3. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Member

Do it all the time - it IS a beautiful thing!

4. Ricker

Ricker Member

Hey Jimmy Bro

Thanks for the kind words man.....
    I know I'd like the cornford..........but I'm sure you'd like the budda just as much :)
    I don't think I'm gonna be buying more heads without actually playing one.......and chance of playing the cornford or any of the ones you mention are nearly Zero..........
    If you ever make a trip to SA bring yer fookin cornford

The thing is that bluesy in between dirt that is very difficult to get in a high gain head..........The koch multitone can do it better than most.............I'm sure some of the ones you mention could do it too.............but to get a sound like the sd80 rhythm channel breaking up with lots of compression and punch .............only the sd80 will do.............so I've found that sound but I just haven't been able to use it successfully live as I need a few sounds.........
    The tonebone should sort this out .......I will hopefully get to use it this weekend as we have 4 gigs coming up so .....I'll report back.

And you're right I may pass the shiva on to someone ........but no one is really into 'boutique gear' here so it may be hard to sell............
    I don't really like selling gear so maybe I'll just keep her around for the fender like scooped cleans.............and a good back-up if my other amps are outta commission.
    I mean a shiva and a fulldrive II are a pretty good package no doubt.

Anyway take it easy .......and I'm sure you'll let us know when you get the Peavey;)

I hope they supply ear plugs and a Hotplate with the 120w versions:eek:

Cheers
    Rick

5. Ricker

Ricker Member

Yeay that sd45 sounds really tempting.......just the price........double damn again!!!

I think the 2 amp setup will be the way to go but there are some gigs where 2 amps is just one too many.
    Another nice reason for the 2 amp setup is you always have a back-up on stage.......that's cool.

cheers
    Rick

6. Ricker

Ricker Member

Hey man
    Yeah i remember you saying this before .........and I know you got a hotplate to tame it.........but do you ever get to gig with that setting ...and if you do what do you do for other sounds............just use the guit vol or bring along another amp or manually change stuff.???etc etc.

Are you thinking of picking up an sd45?? have you tried one?

Cheers
    Rick

7. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Member

Nope, I don't gig anymore. But I could see using that setting and turning the guit volume down for cleaner tones and using a boost for more dirt - I think that would work fine. I don't really channel switch much, I just dial in a fun sound on one sound or the other and go with that. Yesterday, I was having fun with *everything* on 10 (on the rhythm channel) using the hotplate to keep it somewhat sane.

Haven't tried the 45 yet - although I hear there is one near me, so I might get a chance. Doubt I'll pick one up - since I don't gig, I feel silly having more than one amp. So I am trying to pare down to just one (most likely the 80!)

8. Buckeyedog

Buckeyedog Supporting Member

Don't you know it! That setting with my strat just kills, then I kick it over to the drive channel with the gain at about noon and it's just so awesome! I do lower the mids though when I'm runnin' the strat. I love my Budda!

9. Ricker

Ricker Member

Well you can't channel switch live with that setting..........even with the mods........the rhythm channel is way louder than the gain side.......especially with an LP........there's also just too much compression with the master and drive at noon on the drive channel with my LP.....don't really use Strats so it may be different for You.

As I said earlier I've been using this setting for awhile but never gigged with it ............but yesterday I recieved my Tonebone Head switcher............and hooked it up to my Koch multitone..................OH YEAH..........got 4 gigs this weekend to try out different combinations............
    but it's gonna be Koch for ultra clean and high gain.........and then swithch to SD80 for this blues crunch setting with the Hotplate on about -8.......I'll just match the koch(unattenuated) volume up to the budda volume.

Cheers man
    Rick

10. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

let us know how you find the tonebone to be rick, clicks, pops, farts , noise when you you switch from cab a to cab b , id be interested to know dude.

jimmy