Hey Clorenzo (pickup wiring)...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by SgtThump, Oct 14, 2005.

1. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I just installed a JB humbucker in my G&L Legacy tonight with an "on/on" mini-toggle to switch between single coil and humbucker mode. I wired the mini-toggle according to the following schematic:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/schematics/2hum_2vol_tone_3way-w-spl.html

Everything works, but when I have the humbucker and middle single coil on at the same time (the humbucker can be in either full humbucker mode or single coil), I get this strange weak tone. The signal is real weak and sounds like a phaser is on all the time.

Are the humbucker and middle single coil pickups out of phase or something? It's a real strange tone. I'm sure it's not right...

Chris

2. JamesPeters

JamesPeters Member

Sounds like it's out of phase, yeah. Given that you're trying to use it with the middle single coil (which is usually made differently to cancel hum in the 2 and 4 positions), I'd say you're right.

You can try reversing the black and green leads of the bridge humbucker--that should work. You can also reverse the wiring of both the middle and neck pickups instead to compensate, so pick whichever works best for you and give it a try.

3. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Awesome! Thanks James! I'll try reversing the Duncan JB's green/bare wires (ground) with the black wire (hot) and see where that gets me. I think I'll do it now. :)

I'll report back.

Chris

4. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I'll report back here shortly after I reverse the wires.

5. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

JAMES! That fixed it! Thanks alot, bro!!!! Now it sounds like it should in that position.

This might be my mind going crazy, but everything sounds better period with the wires reversed. :confused: There is a bigger difference between the humbucker in full bucker mode and single coil mode. Before, you really had to listen close to hear it, but now it jumps out much nicer.

This made it sound much better overall! Thanks again!

Chris

6. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

One little thing though: the bare wire should always be connected to ground, it goes to the back metal plate of the pickup and it will gve you better shielding and less noise when you're in single coil mode. Other than that the tone will not change.

The reason you notice a bigger difference between split and full now is that you're selecting the outer coil. I generally find that too thin and trebly, but if you like it, enjoy it!

7. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Thanks! I actually wanted to pick up a Duncan Custom as you suggested (and I've had those before and love them), but my team bought me a gift certificate today (Boss' day) from guitar center for $60, so I went with what they had in stock! :)

I don't have a problem soldering (I've gotten pretty good at it) and replacing things, but I don't know enough about it to just sit down and do stuff from scratch. I can follow those very simple diagrams on www.seymourduncan.com, but anything outside of that stuff is over my head!

Thanks for all your help, guys. I did solder both the bare wire and the green wire to the 5-way switch, but when I open her back up, I'll solder the bare wire to ground.

Chris

8. JamesPeters

JamesPeters Member

Glad to help, Chris. BTW I have a Custom (actually, two of them) if you ever want one. :)

9. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

10. Gary Ladd

Gary Ladd Member

Reversing leads to fix polarity is lame...

PuPs are wound inside-out for a reason, running them coils in reverse always sounds nasally to me.

Of course with a JB it's already so nasal one probably wouldn't notice the difference (which is true of most Duncan P.O.S.) ;)

Here's a rant I started on the subject:

Seymour Duncan rant

11. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I think you have a little too much time on your hands. ;)

12. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

And by the way, reversing the wiring in my situation actually made the pickup sound better.

13. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

In this case there is a noticeable difference because due to the wiring arrangement, now you're selecting a different coil, which you happen to like better than the other one.

However, for a single pickup or coil, "reverse" is meaningless. We're talking about AC signals here, so polarity is an arbitrary reference that only makes a difference when you're comparing the relative phase of two pickups with each other.

If someone claims to hear a difference in a single pickup when it is reversed, they should also be able to hear one when the player is left handed and hits the string with the pick from the opposite side (that too reverses the phase of the signal).