Hey, Dallas folks ... Quinten Hope

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by PeaElAre, Feb 3, 2012.

1. PeaElAre

PeaElAre Member

Do yourselves a favor... look up Quinten Hope and go see one of his gigs. He's a fantastic player with a stellar band; Mike Medina on bass and Sean McCurley on drums.

They're playing every Wednesday in March at Grover's in North Dallas (Preston/Frankford). This a great venue...small room, great sound, good people working there.

2. Elmer

Elmer hell is chrome

Seen him many many times, he's got some serious skills. Quentin played pretty regularly at Cadillac Pizza in Mckinney, not sure if he still does. I haven't been out that way in a while.

Another great outfit in a similar vein is Junior and the Journeymen. Mike "Junior" Clark is a pretty solid guitar player, and Kirby Kelly (GC's King of the Blues for 2009) plays slide guitar in Junior's band as well. They make for a great evening of guitar playing. Oh, and Quinten has been known to sit in with them from time to time. They play down at Pearl on Commerce about once a month. :aok

3. PeaElAre

PeaElAre Member

I've seen him a few times as well...but last night was one of the better gigs I've seen of his. Might be the lineup...I don't know. Dude that was singing and playing the other guitar had some pretty great chops too, but came across as a bit of a wanker at some points.

4. Scott Whigham

Scott Whigham Member

Yes, Quentin is just a monster. Andy Timmons has also been up north - his trio was playing out in McKinney last Weds.

5. PeaElAre

PeaElAre Member

They're both pretty closely tied to the Guitar Sanctuary. Timmons has a standing gig w/ the B3 trio at Zin Zen on Wednesday nights (w/ the aforementioned Mike Medina). Haven't been there yet mostly due to preoccupations on Wednesdays, but it's on my list of things to do in the near future.

Timmons sat in with Hope a couple weeks ago at Sambuca.

6. Elmer

Elmer hell is chrome

Yep, I've seen Andy sit in at Cadillac Pizza a time or two, always makes for a damn fine time. Zin Zen... man, that place brings back bad memories of the wife ordering $25 glasses of wine... :omg Still, might be worth a trip back out there to catch Mr Timmons.

Speaking of Guitar Sanctuary - have either of you gents seen Maylee Thomas? Her husband (George) is a partner of some sort in The Guitar Sanctuary. Maylee's band is very tight, and she puts on a great show. Definitely worth a look if you get the chance - but I'd recommend catching the full band and not the "Maylee Thomas Trio" that sometimes plays out at The Grotto Live in McKinney.

Cool to see folks out supporting Dallas area bands. I try to make a local band's gig every couple of weeks. There is no shortage of talent around heres, plenty of good live music available if you look for it.

7. PeaElAre

PeaElAre Member

George Fuller built that whole Adriatica scene and I guess he's part owner of the Sanctuary.