Hey Flexi 50 users...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sstweed, Aug 3, 2005.

1. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

It seems like every clip of the Flexi that I hear on the net is hard rock/heavy metal based. Does the amp have a descent clean sound (with enough headroom to stay clean with a band)? I am in the market, but just can't hang with a one-trick pony or multiple amp rigs. I need an amp that can do it all (or close). I am playing Fenders now and using pedal to get into distortions. Since my music doesn't rely on tons of gain all the time pedals work ok for me. But an amp with great clean and great dirty would be better, then use the pedals for spice only instead of main course, if at all. Any clean Flexi clips besides the ones at the THD site?

2. markp

markp Member

Best cleans I have ever had!Plenty of head room,I use hoteplate on-4db

3. countandduke

countandduke Member

The Flexi can certainly get great clean tones but you have to change all the settings on the amp. The Flexi is NOT a channel switcher. If the Flexi were a 2 channel 4x10 combo with reverb, I'd be in heaven. Seriously though, it is a GREAT amp but it will only do 1 thing. But that one thing sounds INCREDIBLE!!!! Good luck, email Ed D. goto www.thdelectronics.com Ed is VERY knowledgable and helpful. Great player too!!!

Chris

4. sstweed

I don't particularly need "on the fly" flexibility. I never really liked channel switchers anyway. But I do ride the guitar volume a lot. I'll set the amp to what ever is the most appropriate distortion for the gig and then work it with guitar volume and pedals etc, and not touch the amp again all night. I would like to get down to one amp for home recording too. If I have to reset the amp to get the perfect clean or dirty or over-the-top while recording that is no big deal compared to having to get, setup and mic a second or third amp. One flexible amp, one or maybe two elec guitars, some pedals (but very few), and a LOT of spare time. That's pretty much all I dream about these days!

Oh yeah. Price is a bit of a concern nowadays too. There are plenty of $3k amps that would suit my tastes, but that just ain't in the budget anymore. I have seen the Flexi used on ebay, etc at a pretty reasonable price if I remember right.

5. countandduke

countandduke Member

Then the Flexi is probably right up your alley!! You can swap repamp and power amp tubes in any combination. You don't have to have 2 6L6's you can mix and match since there is a bias adjust screw on the back. I have flirted with the idea of selling mine but not sure yet..... You should be able to pick one up for around $1200 or so. There's one on this forum right now.......

Good luck, ask any questions you want. The Flexi takes pedals VERY well, and riding the volume knob works great too!! The late and great Shawn Lane used a Bi-valve before his passing and just used the volume knob too...........

Chris

Feel free to email me at: countandduke@aol.com

6. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Check the video clip that Myron posted; wicked cleans.

It indeed does what you want, depending on how you set it up tubewise.

I'd do some clips if I could find a few minutes. Hopefully I can in the next day or so.

7. carltonh

carltonh Member

Out of curiousity, how much does the Flexi weigh? But, IMO, credit has to go to THD, Dr. Z, and a few others who appreciate the advantages of medium high power small box heads.

8. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

45 pounds...

9. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

Beautiful cleans in my opinion.

Terry

10. Mark C

Mark C Member

If you check my soundpage at the bottom of my post, you can hear a clean clip of the Flexi on "Getting Sentimental". Not the best recording, but I think it gives you an idea. The guitar is an es175.

11. sstweed

Thanks for all the clips guys! I can't wait to get home from work and hear them (firewall here at work). I am a long way from making a decision, but I really need a 'bang for the buck' type amp. I keep coming back to the Flexi. I am just getting lazy I know, but I really want to cover as much musical ground as I can with the least amount of equipment that I can. Any other suggestions?

12. carltonh

carltonh Member

I've noticed THD says the Flexi is compatible with 6K6 and 6F6 tubes. Has anyone ever tried the Flexi with these? How much power do they have and what do they sound like?

13. countandduke

countandduke Member

Hmmmmm, other tips.....as far as pedals and gear?? I have lusted after a Keeley Compressor for a bit, I DO have a UD stomp so I am set there.....seriously, that UD stomp kicks ass!! I plug my guitar into my stereo at home with the ud and it sounds UNBELIEVABLE!!!! I have an AC booster that I like, the maxon SD-9 sounds cool, I think I might wanna get a REAL UNIVIBE at some point, a good wah, my line 6 delay pedal is pretty darn cool, I am currently fairly happy with my 5150 cabinet and my Marshall 30th anniversary cabinet although I think I would like a Bogner cabinet at some point, I DO think one of my next purchases in the dear dept. will be either a peavey classic 4x10 combo, or a fender hot rod deville, I am leaning towards the peavey classic and doing a shellac'd relic thingy........

Inspiration and technique wise, I think Shawn Lane was the greatest guitar player on the planet. I have some dvd's with Shawn, Jonas Helborg and Jeff Sipe playing improv music and I think that might be the music played in Heaven's waiting rooms........Sheets of Sound is one KILLER book!!!

Feel free to contact me with questions........ countandduke@aol.com

14. DavidB

DavidB Member

You might find the Flexi forum on univalve.net useful.

http://www.univalve.net/forums_new/viewforum.php?f=7

The Flexi does work with twin 6K6s. Haven't tried it yet with 6F6s, but should work.

15. baald

baald Member

Well, i'm really interested in the flexi too, but if you want a bang-for-the-buck amp that can cover lots of ground, you also have to check out a valvetech VAC if you can. Goes from deluxe reverb to over the top gain with great in-between tones. Also, it's available with reverb. And even lesss expensive than the flexi. Doesn't give you all the tube-swapping flexibility, and its limited to about 22 watts, but that can be PLENTY loud depending on the application.
    baald

16. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

Well, a while back, I was in the same boat as you...
    I wasn't sure if I was going to love the Flexi....
    Needless to say, I ordered a Flexi w/ a 2x12 with V12's and a hotplate, and don't regret a penny spent.
    It is truly a beast of an amp.
    It takes pedals extremely well...especially the Time Machine Boost, MI Audio Blueboy and Tube Zone and a ton of others.
    I've own and still own many many many amps...
    All I can say is that the Flexi is very unique and delivers the goods.
    Even with an OD pedal on, you can simply roll off your guitar volume and get sparkling cleans.
    It is a freak of an amp, and I will be keeping mine till the end...
    Steve