Hey G&L fans

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by nemp, Oct 7, 2004.

1. nemp

nemp Member

Are all G&Ls (ASATs, Legacy's) 2 piece bodies or just the trans finish ones?

2. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Had a three piece body ASAT with the transparent honey finish so I'd say they sometimes have three piece bodies. FWIW I have had several of these and only one was three piece but they do exist. The three piece sounded fine too (better to my ear than two other "identical" two piece body ASATs I compared it to when buying). Don't know about Legacies.

hunter

3. GeraldCleveland

GeraldCleveland Member

I used to have an ASAT. Was a nice guitar, but I could never figure out what ASAT stands for?

4. GeraldCleveland

GeraldCleveland Member

Thanks for the trivia. I would have never guessed that in a million years. I never once made the connection to defense systems.

5. rbisherw

rbisherw Guest

Raoul gets it right.

I have two G&L ASATs and they are fantastic guitars.
    both are two piece ash.
    One is a butterscotch Classic the 2nd a Tobacco burst Bluesboy.

6. bluesman69

bluesman69 Member

I agree!!
    G&L Asat Classic
    [​IMG]

7. HHB

HHB Member

love my asat classic![​IMG]

8. Grap

Grap Member

Got a few myself (no suprises there then...)

[​IMG]

www.guitarsbyleo.com Limited Edition. Mahogany semi-hollow ASAT with S-500 pickups. Birdseye maple neck and ebony board.

[​IMG]

ASAT Jr. Mahogany semi-hollow with no f-hole. Mahogany neck and ebony board.

[​IMG]

ASAT Special. Ash body and MOTS guard.

Cheers - Steve

9. HHB

HHB Member

wow, really like the triple MFD's on semi hollow mahogany, way cool and I'm sure it sounds amazing

10. Grap

Grap Member

Yeah, the Gbl_LE sounds pretty special. Unfortunately they only made 25 of 'em, and they mostly have different neck shapes becasue the original purchasers were allowed to specify what they wanted (mine has a honkin' big V neck). They crop up for sale occasionally and typically go for US$900-1000.

- Steve

11. Dotneck

Dotneck Member

I've been looking at G&L's lately and have a question. What is the defining difference between a Legacy and an S-100. I know some S-100's have fancy maple tops but some that I've seen look very much like Legacies. There must be something I'm missing. :confused:

12. Grap

Grap Member

The differences between a Legacy and a modern production S-500[1] are as follows:

Machine heads: Legacy has non-locking. The S-500's are locking.

Pickups: The Legacy has G&L's CLF AlNiCo single coils. The S-500 has G&L's single-coil sized MFD's. The MFD's give a higher output, more "Hi-Fi" tone than the vintage Strat voiced CLF's.

Circuitry: The S-500 and the Legacy both have a five-way selecter switch with passive treble-cut and bass-cut (PTB) tone controls. The S-500 has an additional switch that, when engaged, changes the pickup selections to be:

1 = Neck & Bridge
    2 = Neck, Middle & Bridge
    3 = Middle only.
    4 = See 2
    5 = See 1

The fancy tops that you see occasionally are available on all G&L models as their "Deluxe" option. There has recently been a limited run of mahogany-bodied S-500's.

[​IMG]

My S-500

[​IMG]

My Legacy

[​IMG]

My Legacy Special.

I sort of like G&L's :dude

Cheers - Steve

1) The original 80's S-500 was a different beast altogether. Different body shape, diferent headstock, different pickups (although still MFD's).

13. jordanL

jordanL Member

I own several G&L's and AFAIK most are made using 2 piece bodies, you would probably be better off asking this over on the

G&L discussion Page

Heres My G&Ls (L to R) '80 F-100 I, 96 Asact Classic,'94 S-500, '98 Asat Jr(#126), '84 SC-2

[​IMG]

14. Grap

Grap Member

I'd love to pick up an F-100. They're a bit rare in my neck of the woods though!

However I did find my '88 Interceptor here back in '98, so who knows, maybe one of these days...

[​IMG]

Oh yeah, to answer the original question. All of my solid-bodied G&L's have two piece bodies. You have to look very hard to see the join from the front or the back though.

- Steve

15. Scott Cioe

Scott Cioe Member

Nice pieces Bluesman: Can you (and anyone else as well) please advise what the differences are between the different pickups available. That is, I have heard/played the ASAT classic pickups and have been extremely impressed. However, I was thinking that I kind of prefer the newer "saddle lock" bridge that comes with the bigger soapbar style p/ups. Can anyone compare?

16. Grap

Grap Member

I've only ever played an ASAT Classic in a store, so I can't offer a side-by-side comparison between the MFD's on that model and the larger MFD's fitted to the ASAT Special.

Don't be confused by the "Soapbar" moniker people sometimes give to these pickups. They may look a little bit like P90's (In a very bad light, if you're squinting). They are a totally different design and have none of the P90's characteristic mid-range honk[1]. In fact the best adjective I can think of to describe the large MFD's when compared to standard single coils it "more" :) They seem to have a flatter frequency response with more high & low end, which is perhaps why some people describe them as "Hi Fi" or "cold".

They seem to reproduce the sonic characteristics of the guitar very accurately. What you hear when you play the guitar accoustcally is pretty much indicative of what you'll get through an amp with flat EQ. For example, my ASAT Special is the brightest sounding guitar that I own, the MFD's reproduce the bright ash body/maple neck/maple board character to a T. My ASAT Jr is quite mellow as it's mahoghany body/mahogany neck/ebony board characteristics come right to the fore.

Cheers - Steve

1) When I first got my ASAT Special I enthused about how I could get a Leslie West tone out of it. You can as well, with the neck pickup with the tone rolled half-off, but only if you're working from your memory of how Big Les sounded on the Mountain Live album that you haven't heard in eight years :)

17. beNsteR

beNsteR Member

Hi Grap, greetings from Singapore! i just saw your G&L collection, lovely guitars you have there! I came across this ad on www.luthermusic.com, which is the most popular guitar classifieds in Singapore. Thought you might be interested, as you collect G&L's:

Date posted : 09 October 2004
    G & L SKYHAWK 1988 model ash body maple neck "BY LEO FENDER" with hard case, aniversary strap, stainless parts etc. Call or SMS me with best offer minimum price SGD$1300 mobile phone: (65)94766445
    Email:farid_long@yahoo.com.sg

PS: i love my '00 ASAT Classic MIJ (Yes, made in Japan) Tribute series in butterscotch blonde!

18. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

The main difference between a S-500 and a Legacy is that the Legacy sounds like a vintage Strat but you have the option to dial in more bass tone, while the S-500 sounds (IMHO) like ****.

19. Grap

Grap Member

People do tend to either love or hate MFD pickups don't they? :D

The G&L tone control fitted to the Legacy, Legacy Special & S-500 is a passive treble & bass cut circuit. It is possible to dial out the trable & bass frequencies, but it cannot boost either of them.

The Fullerton has the "standard" Strat circuit: Seperate treble cuts for the neck & middle pickups, nothing for the bridge.

- Steve

20. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Depends on which ones.