Hey guys, Im looking for some killer single coils help me?!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JamesHealey, Mar 20, 2008.

1. JamesHealey

JamesHealey Member

Hey guys I've been a humbucker man forever, infact i've only ever owned single coils to tear them out and replace them with a humbucker straight away.

Well i've currently got a Schecter strat, T-Rex Alberta, THD BiValve and 1x12 Cab w/Vintage 30.

The Guitar it's self is quite woody and dark, so I want something thats really gonna bring out the high end! I believe the body maybe mahogany, although it's maple cap and maple neck kinda brighten it up a bit.

As for single coil tones? well I like Eric Johnson, Jeff Beck, 70s Soul/Funk.

suggestions guys?

2. wahwah

wahwah Member

I've got a '68 Strat that's had the same configuration in it since the original pickups died in '85. Seymour Duncan SSL-1 in the neck, RW/RP SSL-1 middle, and an SSL-5 in the bridge. It's a winning combination and I would confidently recommend it to anyone looking for a classic Strat sound with a bit of extra attitude in the bridge.

Cheers.....................................wahwah

3. jhumber

jhumber Member

I'd highly recommend Bare Knuckle Apaches. I've had a set in my strat for a couple of years now and they've consistently delivered great tones.

4. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

since it's a schecter why not try some Tom Andersons?

I think it'd match up really really well with Suhr V60's too.

5. jhumber

jhumber Member

Just realised you're the same James Healey that posts on the BKP site ;-)

6. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I'm going for some WB 67-07 Singles.

After installing the 67-07 VTPH Humbuckers in my R9, I'm totally convinced about the wire and what's these pups are all about.

7. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Suhr V60lp's have a beautiful clean tone and the highs are nice, clear and would compliment a darker axe.

8. mischultz

mischultz Member

I have a set of Seymour Duncan Antiquities available that are definitely in the old-school, spanky single coil vein. The SSLs are a great, underrated option as well.

Best,

Michael

9. GuitarX

GuitarX Member

I put a Lollar Blonde set in my main Strat-style guitar and it KILLS. I can't imagine much better than this, without splitting hairs. I love Fralins as well, maybe a Vintage Hot set?

10. bgio

bgio Supporting Member

+1 on the Bare Knuckles pickups. I have the Irish Tour pickups in my strat. Best single coils ive ever heard

11. JamesHealey

JamesHealey Member

I've used bareknuckles for years, I actually had a set of Irish Tours a few years ago in an Ash strat and they were pretty cool, im deffinatly after something of that type of quality but i'd like to try something different.. used BKP's for years now.

12. le_plastique

le_plastique Member

Lollars. I've never heard such large sounding and harmonically rich single coils till I heard Lollars. That said, prior to Lollars all I've heard were Seymour Duncans and Dimarzios. Haven't heard much of the other boutique guys.

13. Clutch21286

Clutch21286 Member

I have lollar tweeds in my guitar and they sound fantastic! Of course, I like low output pups.

14. bullet69

bullet69 Member

If you dig EJ tones be sure to wire the tone control to the bridge pickup so you can roll off some of the treble like he do.

15. bynt

bynt Member

16. Mitch T

Mitch T Member

You wanna bring out the top end more? TV Jones magnatrons all the way. I've heard a mahogany guitar sound almost acoustic with those...lovely detail.