Hey Jazz guys..

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Smakutus, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

2. jb70

jb70 Supporting Member

not sure what the title is but it's probably wynton marsalis playing in the style of buddy bolden

3. AlChuck

AlChuck Member

I don't recognize it... it might just be an improvisation. I suspect it's probably a recording done for this documentary soundtrack of someone modern playing in that older style. It certainly can't be Buddy Bolden - no recordings of him exist.

In the mid-seventies Michael Ondaatje (author of The English Patient) wrote a novel titled Coming through Slaughter about Buddy Bolden's life. Years later (1993) Jerry Granelli put out a terrific recording inspired by this book, name of A Song I Thought I Heard Buddy Sing. It features Granelli on drums, Robben Ford and Bill Frisell on guitars, Kenny Garrett on alto sax, Julian Priester on trombone, Anthony Cox on bass, and Denny Goodhew on soprano sax. The music is not old-fashioned at all, it's more of a set of impressions Granelli had from the novel. Great playing all around. A standout is Ford and Frisell's playing on "Billie's Bounce," the Charlie Parker blues. Some of this record was subsequently re-released a couple of times under Robben Ford's name, though not with his approval), once under the name Blues Connotation, and a few years later under the name City Life.

4. Alter

Alter Member

don't recognize the tune, but, man, thanks for the link. i wasn't aware of these videos..

5. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

Pretty cool stuff eh?

My son is taking a jazz appreciation class in college, heard that song and wants to get it on his iPod.

Thanks,
    Jeff

6. russ6100

russ6100 Member

ah - this is part of the Ken Burns series on Jazz. I guess the guy that uploaded it purposely didn't title it that to avoid the YouTube copyright enforcement team...

7. aram

aram Member

yeah that's wynton all right.

while i don't agree with a lot of what he says, he was a big influence on me early on.

when i was a sophmore in high school, my girlfriend (who played oboe) was going to Tufts University, and he gave a clinic there. I pretended I was a student and sat in.

He let me solo, and when I was done, squeezed my shoulder.

It was a real important moment. He spent a lot of time talking to me before and after the show.

He also joked about how his 2 least favorite instruments were oboe and guitar.

8. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Yeah, I would guess an improv also. I wasn't aware these were posted. Thanks for pointing them out.

9. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

10. Wooley

Wooley Member

I'm always intrigued by statements like the one bolded above.

Can you tell me more about what you mean, and why you feel that way?

11. russ6100

russ6100 Member

Wooley wrote:
    Hey I'm not aram, but it's no secret that WM is a controversial figure in jazz and it's the opinion of many that he's been allowed to be a little too influential in regards to what is or isn't jazz, and also purposely excluding certain eras from the jazz time-line.

I would suggest that WS has been allowed this kind of influence largely due to a combination of his historical knowledge coupled with his contagious enthusiasm for the music.

12. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

And the fact that he is a wonderful player.

13. russ6100

russ6100 Member

shihanderek wrote:
    oops - I guess I left out the obvious. :)

Well - I got up to #33 of the series and looks like not only is #34 not on YouTube, but all the earlier uploads have been pulled as well - as we knew they would be.

Oh well....it's only $160 at Amazon.......

14. Wooley

Wooley Member

Worth every penny.

I've watched the entire thing TWICE.

Didn't know that about Wynton. Being from New Orleans, I just assume he's doing the good work up there in New York and am happy for his success. Did not know he was controversial. Guess I'll have to read up on it.

Out of curiosity, what does he exclude from the Jazz Canon. I mean, if it's "Smooth Jazz", I would have to agree with him. ;)

15. russ6100

russ6100 Member

Well you, I was just scouring the net, looking for "evidence" - maybe some interviews, etc.. haven't found much yet.

But one of the big gripes is that as a consultant on the Ken Burns jazz documentary, he supposedly only really covered the story of jazz up to 1960, and really didn't seriously even include Miles's 2nd 60's quintet or any of the Ornette Coleman stuff.

I have only watched the YouTube clips, so I have only watched up to about 1928 or so...LOL!

I would really like to read what Wyntons views actually are, and not some heavily-filtered, he-said this, he-said-that conjecture.

16. aram

aram Member

Don't want to turn this into a "this" or "that" type of a thread.

Wynton is a bad ass trumpet player and an amazing musician.

But to me, he's really not what jazz is about.

All the great players in history have always pushed the music forward.

Wynton chooses to study the music, almost like a classical musician.

Nothing wrong with that.

But I'd rather hear Monk than Wynton's interpretations of Monk.

ANd again, I'm not bashing him or putting him down, though it may come across that way.

I wouldn't be playing music if it wasn't for him.

17. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Agreed. He is one of the best ever IMO. And he knows jazz inside and out. I could listen to him talk about it all day. WHAT a talent! :eek: To me, if Wynton says its not jazz, its not. Lol!

18. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

That's only because you're the kind of person who gets all wound up if you can't say for sure what things are and what they aren't.

(A friendly reference to some of your discussions about light and time. :) )

19. BigViolin

BigViolin Member

Even to the exclusion of Wes? Not that he said that Wes isn't jazz but he was excluded from the documentary which in itself is a crime.

I dig Wynton but .....

20. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Wes did not add anything to jazz. He was a ground breaking guitar player for sure, but really, thats about it. If I were a horn player, I doubt I would give much credit to guitar players either.