"Hey Joe" tone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Fusionshred, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Fusionshred

Fusionshred Supporting Member

I was going to call this thread "UN-DUMBLE ME" because there have been so may discussions about the D sound and pedals that claim to cop it... indeed, I enjoy my Jetter Gear GSR as much as the next guy...

But I used to have a BOSS Blues Driver that I liked a lot for being a clear sound at low gain levels. It really sounded like my amp overdriven. But as many do, I think the BOSS pedals suck some tone from the signal path.

The tone I'm yearning for is that slightly overdriven, crisp clear strat tone from the beginning of Hey Joe. And then add more gain from there as needed... Assume a Blues Jr or another tweed based amp set low and totally clean, and help me add a pedal for some hair.

I'm going to call this my 7-UP tone.

Where am I going??? Point me in the right direction.:D

TIA
    Tom

2. Rumblefish

Rumblefish Silver Supporting Member

MJM London fuzz gives that early fuzz face tone and cleans up great.You'll hear it if you try it.It's that tone you're looking for.

3. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

Which version? I always thought that was played best fairly clean (with some hair) except solos (which may be mostly picking dynamics differences).

4. majorledhead

majorledhead Supporting Member

I thought I was pretty close to that tone with a Roccaforte Custom 40 and a 64 strat with the guitars volume on 3-4 for the verse and 6-7 for the solo. Rocca set at, gain-5 , master-4, bass-4, mid-8, treble-5, presence-4. But then, those settings sound like a lot of classic recordings. Oh, just a lava cable retro coil in between them.

5. Wheeler004

Wheeler004 Member

You definitely need to check out the Lovepedal COT. It does a dead on, low-gain Hendrix thing.

6. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

I will agree with the COT suggestion as well.

7. playthecray

playthecray Supporting Member

It seems to me like you have your answer. Check out a blues driver with the Keeley phat mod, TS-9 with an Analogman brown mod, or a Barber LTD right out of the box.

8. pgissi

pgissi Member

Hey Joe rythm tone on the recording sounds like a bf twin, fat and clean with a hint of dirt some splashy reverb or added in production. The solo could also be the same or other bf fender with a fuzz face set with less fuzz and more boost, slightly scooped like a bf, not and some fat bottom end sustain. Its one of Jimi's cleaner solo tones for sure in the studio.

You could use tweed or marshall for that matter but tweed or marshall is more midrangey grind and that tune is not so midrangey grind out of most of his tunes, it stands out that way, very clean mix, not alot of mid fuzz overall. I'm talking the studio recording here so its splitting hairs.

Take any fender but preferably a BF and throw the MJM in front of it and you have spanky clean and fat fuzzy dirty tones instantly. The FF tone is the key, its not opamp derived, its discrete transistors which differ in OD character and is a timeless tone, fits in many contexts and cleans up nicer too from the guitar pot.

Blues Driver is cool but its very different than a ff which you have to experience, no pun intended. The FF says Jimi period and working the pedals controls and guitat pot, you can get subtle amounts of fuzz or all out jimi assault

9. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

Do not quote me on the but I am pretty sure Hendrix used a Tele on parts of Hey Joe and Fire if not all the tracks. Something about screwing his Strat up at a jam the night the cut the songs..Could be Folklore..Wish I could remember who told me but I am getting old.;)

10. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Wow, that's a cool new idea. Id like to know...

I will have to say the ff or sunface rolled back into a BF amp or nice clean amp like the twin is the best hendrix low gain sound. The Cot50 is pretty good... but I got a better low gain tone from the purple plexi 100, which is a Cot50 hybrid.

I also have a Kot on the way and I remember little wing and wind crys mary type songs sounding very good on that when I had it last.

11. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

12. Fusionshred

Thanks guys! Yes, it's (to me) an almost totally clean tone. What I want is to be able to crank the pedal gain and roll the guitar vol down to like 2, and have that match my squeaky clean amp tone except with a touch of hair. Then roll up guitar vol for solo stuff. Turn the pedal off and keep the guitar vol wide open for super clean. The BD did that very very well, but the idea of tone-suck is a worry for me.

FWIW, I'm playing Teles these days, so it's funny that someone mentioned a rumor that Hey Joe might have been recorded with one! And, also FWIW, I am definitely talking about the recorded version of the tune.

13. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

I think "playthecray" was right... get back your BD-2 and send it to Keeley for the phat mod. I've got one I'm sending to him very soon and I'm also buying a Blues Jr in the next couple of days.

14. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Id like to know why Andy Aledort is playing a rosewood neck on his 2 teaching dvd's....

Maple dude! And that upside down guitar has something to do with the picture as well.

15. VoodooBlues

VoodooBlues Member

Well, I think Jimi mostly played rosewood necks up until he got his black and white big headstock strats. Then he mostly stuck to those.

16. Fusionshred

I heard Jimi liked rosewood but somebody encouraged him to play maple on stage because his hands looked better against the maple! Actually, I think I read it here

17. Drifting

Drifting Member

Alot of what makes that great tone on the solo is the amp's natural compression. He might have had the Tone and Vol. knobs moved back very slightly.

I think he was just cranking the marsall w/o the fuzz face on that track. The single coils won't break up as much on their own, early marshalls weren't THAT gainy.

For the rhythm sound, I think it's still a marshall, just not pushed so much.

I have always loved the tone on Hey Joe, very beautiful.

18. alguit

alguit Member

Jimi used a JTM45 on "Hey Joe," with a Strat.

Pedalwise, the Z-Vex Box of Rock is supposed to emulate that amp, and I think it does so pretty well.

19. Rumblefish

Rumblefish Silver Supporting Member

Edge of breakup amp with the fuzz and guitar's volume knob backed way off.Through my '68 plexi it nails that tone.

20. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

Wind Cries Mary and Red House (Both versions) are a Tele...but, Hey Joe I think he used a Tele on certain parts maybe not the solo.