Hey live POD users-How are you connecting to the PA?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Tbone135, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

I may end up using my XT for at least some stuff pretty soon again and I'm trying to maximize my potential here. Are you using a DI or 1/4 to XLR cable to the input? If you are using a DI, what brand and is it active or passive?

Thanks!

2. Wildwind

Wildwind Silver Supporting Member

Long-time direct POD user (currently running X3).

My findings - avoid active DIs. Even the expensive ones. They add something to the tone that is really nasty. A pro recommended a cheap passive DI - I bought a ProCo and life it good. I tried five or six actives, ranging from the Behringer to the BSS Audios we use - the cheap ProCo was by far the best tonally - and quieter.

Now I also run a Harmonic Converger with great results, but I won't say it's a must-have. The designer is a friend of mine (though he charged me full price, which I was glad to pay). I find it adds a nice tubular character and clears up some higher-end junk. But they ain't cheap...

HC runs between the DI and POD. I run one at home and record with it as well.

Some POD users don't even bother with a DI. The POD signal can go direct. The DI just lets you do it with XLR cables instead of 1/4".

Greg

3. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

Thanks for the info. You still get plenty of output with that passive DI? I bought a Behringer active box a few years ago because our soundguys said that otherwise there wasn't enough signal.

4. ned911

ned911 Member

I use a XT Pro - XLR out right to the board.

5. JSeth

JSeth Member

Corvallis, Oregon... "Heart of the Valley"...
    I tried my POD ( one of the first) through my PA, just 1/4" cords - and I was surprised that it didn't sound good at all - wasn't trying to anything fancy, just get a decent jazz tone for my ES-175 through a Mackie board; I could not get any decent tone from it. How do you set up the tone characteristics differently from 'phones' sound?
    I really like the idea of the POD, but...
    John Seth Sherman

6. r080

r080 Member

I use a Radial Engineering passive DI. I would not recommend using a 1/4" to XLR adapter. The output is unbalanced, so you would have potential for extra EMI.

JSeth--set up the patch exactly how they say to. Turn up the channel volume until it clips, then back off a little. I also turn up the output level to about 98%.

7. cmc2878

cmc2878 Member

I've found that I get less fizz when running the output 40-50% and adjusting the gain at the board to compensate.